UK English option for Google Translate API?
Thread poster: Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:46
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 28, 2013

Having become tired of changing the US Eng spelling of Google Translate (GT) to UK/GB Eng in translated texts, I've been looking for a way to switch the preference.
My OmegaT target language setting in project properties is definitely GB-GB Eng so I assumed that the preference has to made in Google. However I have not found a setting for the GT function in my Google Account nor in my API account.
No reference to the topic to be found on the Web when I Googled. Have even searched th
... See more
Having become tired of changing the US Eng spelling of Google Translate (GT) to UK/GB Eng in translated texts, I've been looking for a way to switch the preference.
My OmegaT target language setting in project properties is definitely GB-GB Eng so I assumed that the preference has to made in Google. However I have not found a setting for the GT function in my Google Account nor in my API account.
No reference to the topic to be found on the Web when I Googled. Have even searched the (Google) Google Translate forum and Google Translate API developers forum with no joy.

Does this mean that the choice does not exist? Or am I missing something very obvious?

OmegaT version 2.6.3, update 3
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:46
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, you do Aug 29, 2013

Jennifer Barnett wrote:

Does this mean that the choice does not exist? Or am I missing something very obvious?

Indeed, you do miss something obvious, namely, the fact that Google Translate does not have any selection between variants of English. It’s just English (as well as just French, just German, just Spanish — no variants) what’s suggested in the language list. Thus, OmegaT is not responsible for such behavior. Notably, Yandex Translate on the contrary insists on British (but no option to select American), however, its number of language pairs is limited.

Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:46
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is not always obvious what is obvious, digitally speaking Aug 29, 2013

Thank you esperantisto for responding.

OK, I understand that your answer has combined my two questions into 'Yes, there is no choice and that should be obvious'. However one could endlessly discuss (which I am not going to do) what is obvious or not in all the myriad ways that web based services and software can be/must be put into use.

Thank heavens for user forums!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

UK English option for Google Translate API?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »