Finding the right Arabic equivalent for pain characterizations glossary can be challenging
Publicador del fil: Haytham Boles
Haytham Boles
Haytham Boles  Identity Verified
Estats Units d'Amèrica
Local time: 03:32
Mebre des-de 2010
Anglès a Àrab
+ ...
Nov 26, 2012

Dear medical translators/interpreters:

I hope you're well.

On a regular basis in my part-time job as a healthcare interpreter, I encounter a list of characterizations of pain, especially when helping clients complete registration forms. I do not usually have any problem understanding the meaning of the English adjectives modifying the noun: pain. The major challenge for me is finding the suitable equivalent word(s) in Arabic along with the best explanation in Arabic as
... See more
Dear medical translators/interpreters:

I hope you're well.

On a regular basis in my part-time job as a healthcare interpreter, I encounter a list of characterizations of pain, especially when helping clients complete registration forms. I do not usually have any problem understanding the meaning of the English adjectives modifying the noun: pain. The major challenge for me is finding the suitable equivalent word(s) in Arabic along with the best explanation in Arabic as many of my clients are individuals with little, to zero, education in the home country. Therefore I am faced with a two-fold challenge. First, finding the right equivalent terminology (non-jargon as much as possible) which is understood by individuals with various educational backgrounds. Second, finding the best explanation for the adjective modifying the noun, pain in Standard Arabic/Iraqi dialect.

Here is a glossary of pain characterizations.

cramping pain
dull pain
numbing pain
radiating pain
throbbing pain
penetrating pain
stabbing pain
exhausting pain
aching pain

My suggested translations are:

Cramping pain
ألم شبيه بالتشنج
Dull pain
ألم (مستمر) غير حاد
Numbing pain
ألم يجعل المنطقة المصابة خَدِرة
Radiating pain
ألم ممتد إلى: مثلا من أسفل الظهر إلى الأطراف السفلى
Throbbing pain
ألم نابض: المريض يشعر بالنبض في مكان الألم (أو الصداع)
Stabbing pain
ألم يشبه طعنة بسكين: كأن شخص ما يطعنك بسكين
Exhausting pain
ألم منهك
Aching pain
ألم حاد

I'd like to know if you find these terms challenging as well. Please share with me your experience.

How these adjectives would be best rendered into Arabic using a language that is understood by an educated and uneducated client.

Finally, is there some medical reference in English-Arabic -English to lean to to reach at the best equivalence and explanation to rid us of the headache that such adjectives could cause us ?

I am sure your feedback will enrich the discussion.

Thank you for your comments.
Collapse

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:32
Anglès a Francès
+ ...
In memoriam
@ Aytham Nov 26, 2012

Hi Aytham,

I suppose you already know the WHO's Unified Medical Dictionary;

I am not sure that you will find there the answers to your specific concern, but just in case, here is the link :

http://www.emro.who.int/Unified-Medical-Dictionary.html

Have a nice evening
Catherine

Haytham Boles
Haytham Boles  Identity Verified
Estats Units d'Amèrica
Local time: 03:32
Mebre des-de 2010
Anglès a Àrab
+ ...
AUTOR DEL TEMA
Finding the right Arabic equivalent for pain characterizations glossary can be challenging Nov 30, 2012

Hello Catherine,

Thank you so much for posting your comment about the topic above. Yes, I am familiar with the Unified Medical Dictionary. I checked the medical terminology I was looking for, but I did not find everything I want. I just found a translation of a couple terms.

Thanks again for your suggestion!

Best regards,
Haytham Boles

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:

Hi Aytham,

I suppose you already know the WHO's Unified Medical Dictionary;

I am not sure that you will find there the answers to your specific concern, but just in case, here is the link :

http://www.emro.who.int/Unified-Medical-Dictionary.html

Have a nice evening
Catherine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderadors d'aquest fòrum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding the right Arabic equivalent for pain characterizations glossary can be challenging

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »