Possible to confirm segment with missing tags?
Thread poster: Ray Culp
Ray Culp
Ray Culp
Germany
Local time: 17:34
English to German
+ ...
Jul 20, 2023

We have a client who uses the U+2009 THIN SPACE character on either side of every forward slash (/) when the slash separates two options, i.e. "either / or", "this / that".

Matecat represents the U+2009 THIN SPACE character as a tag.

In some cases, it makes sense to replace the slash in the translated text with the word "and". In these cases, it also makes sense to replace the THIN SPACE characters with regular spaces.

However, since they are tags
... See more
We have a client who uses the U+2009 THIN SPACE character on either side of every forward slash (/) when the slash separates two options, i.e. "either / or", "this / that".

Matecat represents the U+2009 THIN SPACE character as a tag.

In some cases, it makes sense to replace the slash in the translated text with the word "and". In these cases, it also makes sense to replace the THIN SPACE characters with regular spaces.

However, since they are tags, it does not appear to be possible to simply omit them. It also not feasible to move them to the end of the segment where they will cause two THIN SPACES to be added at the end.

Is there any way to confirm a segment when tags are missing? Thanks!
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Tags Jul 20, 2023

As a workaround, I would still add these tags to the end like you say and fix this after exporting the final document in its original file format (you can safely ignore tag order mismatch errors in that case, they don't prevent from exporting, while tag mismatch errors need to be fixed).

This issue would require tweaking the way Matecat handles thin spaces and I don't see how to do it from the available settings. I suggest you contact their support to flag this.

Ray Culp

Ray Culp
Ray Culp
Germany
Local time: 17:34
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Possible to confirm segment with missing tags? Jul 20, 2023

Thanks. I submitted an issue on Github here: https://github.com/matecat/MateCat/issues/2839

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Possible to confirm segment with missing tags?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »