Is there a way to export/upload a sdlxliff to MateCat as I translate?
Thread poster: expressisverbis
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 17:29
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 24, 2021

A client is asking me to translate a file in MateCat, but I don't like this tool, and besides, I am used to translate with my own CAT tools.
The thing is that I took a test and the result was very good, and I would not like to refuse the job.
Is there any way to export or upload the translation from Trados Studio 2021 to MateCat as I translate?
The volume of words is still considerable and there is a need to be able to track the progress of the translation and to start the revi
... See more
A client is asking me to translate a file in MateCat, but I don't like this tool, and besides, I am used to translate with my own CAT tools.
The thing is that I took a test and the result was very good, and I would not like to refuse the job.
Is there any way to export or upload the translation from Trados Studio 2021 to MateCat as I translate?
The volume of words is still considerable and there is a need to be able to track the progress of the translation and to start the revision before the translation has been completed.
Thanks a lot for your help!
Sandra
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Export to XLIFF, translate in Trados and then XLIFF to target Nov 24, 2021

Hi Sandra,

MateCat does offer a way to export a XLIFF and translate it in another tool.

Once done, you can use this tool: https://www.matecat.com/utils/xliff-to-target to export the target file into the original format
... See more
Hi Sandra,

MateCat does offer a way to export a XLIFF and translate it in another tool.

Once done, you can use this tool: https://www.matecat.com/utils/xliff-to-target to export the target file into the original format.

For more details, see: https://site.matecat.com/support/translating-projects/translating-offline/

Unfortunately, however, I think there is no way to re-upload the file so as to update the Matecat job.

What you can do, is export a TMX from your CAT tool (Trados), upload it into Matecat, and go through the segments, confirming as you go (not sure how to apply all 100% matches once the project has been created).

Where things can get complicated is if tags are off and need to be placed in Matecat in order to export the finalized project (Matecat won't let you export the final translation if not completed, only a temporary XLIFF file).

I suggest you get the client to agree with the: "generate target file and hand over TMX" method, skipping any need to update MateCat…

Another method would be to create (yourself) the project in Trados, import the SDLXLIFFs in MateCat, export the created XLIFFs, translate in Trados, and hand over exported SDLXLIFF, which can then be re-imported into MateCat for the review stage…

Warning: By default, MateCat stores your translated segments in the public MyMemory TM. To make sure this does not happen unwillingly, create a private TM resource: In the Project creation page, click on Settings (Alternatively, in the TM and glossary field, expand the drop-down menu and select Create resource). Click on + New resource button in the opened dialog. Give the TM an optional name. Hit Confirm. You will see that “MyMemory: Collaborative translation memory” resource is Enabled for Lookup, but not set to be Updated anymore. That way, translated segments will only be stored in your private resources.

Cheers!

Jean
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mille mercis, Jean ! Nov 24, 2021

Many thanks for your detailed explanation and help!
I also took a look at this: https://guides.matecat.com/translating-offline
And I agree the best way would be to generate a target file and export the job in TMX (updated with the translated content).
I am going to check the links you provided.
Cheers!

Jean Dimitriadis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A quick update... Dec 6, 2021

I offered your suggestion and my own methods to the client, but he didn't accept it.
It's a pity that he didn't assign me the task, because it was a large project from French to European Portuguese, in a field I'm comfortable to translate, and on top of that my 200 words translation test was very good...
Well, at least I learned something very useful here. Thanks again!

[Edited at 2021-12-06 22:04 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Sorry to hear Dec 7, 2021

I am sorry to hear that, Sandra.

But it's probably their loss...

It is really a pity the exported XLIFF cannot be re-imported, only used to export the target translation...

expressisverbis

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Is there a way to export/upload a sdlxliff to MateCat as I translate?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »