ProZ vs. LinkedIn: Which Platform is Better?
Thread poster: Guilherme Magalhães
Guilherme Magalhães
Guilherme Magalhães
Brazil
Local time: 13:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 17, 2023

Hello everyone,

I've been contemplating which platform is the most effective for building and advancing a career in translation: ProZ or LinkedIn. Both platforms have unique features and advantages, but I'd love to hear your insights and experiences to help me make a sound decision.

Thank you

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Guilherme Sep 17, 2023

For me, Proz by far, but I must say that haven’t dedicated much time or effort to LinkedIn and I’ve heard some translators say a lot of good things about LinkedIn. So…

Angie Garbarino
Thayenga
Cecília Alves
Philip Lees
Évariste Willy Noah
Philippe Etienne

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:17
Japanese to English
+ ...
which platform is better Sep 18, 2023

Linked-in seems to be populated by brokerages, banks, hedge funds, private equity and other professional organizations while proz.com seems to be the preserve of grotty bottom-feeding fly-by-night companies. My best clients came from Linked-in and one of them ultimately offered me a job in the financial services industry. Wall Street/the City as opposed to New Grub Street.

Nicksoni Filbert
Fabrice Ndie
Yaotl Altan

Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro
Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:17
Member (2010)
English to Indonesian
Each has their own merits Sep 18, 2023

I use both LinkedIn and ProZ. I think both of them has their own advantages:

ProZ: more focused on the translation industry. As such, you might find jobs and resources as well as troubleshootings your everyday issues as a linguist (CAT tools, rates, etc.).

LinkedIn: more focused on networking. You could network with people from different industries, and prospect for potential client(s). You could also network with people from the translation industry and gain insights a
... See more
I use both LinkedIn and ProZ. I think both of them has their own advantages:

ProZ: more focused on the translation industry. As such, you might find jobs and resources as well as troubleshootings your everyday issues as a linguist (CAT tools, rates, etc.).

LinkedIn: more focused on networking. You could network with people from different industries, and prospect for potential client(s). You could also network with people from the translation industry and gain insights and experiences, or collaborate with them on project(s). If you tweak your Linkedin profile, you could also use it to market your service.

tl;dr: ProZ is designed as a website for translation niche, while Linkedin is designed as a social media for professionals. Hence you should plan your strategy differently.

[Diedit pada 2023-09-18 06:17 GMT]
Collapse

Nicksoni Filbert
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Rachel Waddington
Eric Le Carre
Nina
Yaotl Altan

Nicksoni Filbert
Nicksoni Filbert  Identity Verified
Tanzania
Local time: 19:17
Member (2022)
English to Swahili
+ ...
ProZ vs. LinkedIn: Which Platform is Better? Sep 18, 2023

I like the discussion. I think that I will invest my time on exploring linkedn to its fullest! I also know of a fellow interepter who got a job offering through linkedn!

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 18:17
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Sep 18, 2023

They are both tools that might be helpful in some way, but neither of them are necessary to build a translation career.

expressisverbis
Wolfgang Schoene
Ester Vidal
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
They are different Sep 18, 2023

I don't think you can really compare the two as they have different functions.

LinkedIn is a powerful platform for networking and putting yourself in front of clients, but you have to learn to use it (and then actually use it) for it to have any effect. I think most people who benefit from LI will be on the platform nearly every day posting, commenting and reading posts. Getting a decent profile up is essential but only a first step (but you might as well do it in any case - it's fr
... See more
I don't think you can really compare the two as they have different functions.

LinkedIn is a powerful platform for networking and putting yourself in front of clients, but you have to learn to use it (and then actually use it) for it to have any effect. I think most people who benefit from LI will be on the platform nearly every day posting, commenting and reading posts. Getting a decent profile up is essential but only a first step (but you might as well do it in any case - it's free).

Which is best for you depends on your aims and how much effort you are prepared to put in.
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
Michael Newton
Ivana Kahle
Philippe Etienne
Philip Lees
Eric Le Carre
Sebastian Witte

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Both in their own way Sep 18, 2023

I have been using both for at least ten years now, and I can tell you what to expect from them and what not.
ProZ is my best medium when it comes to finding new clients, I can only recommend it. You should spend some time on making your own ProZ profile - it is well worth it.
LinkedIn helps me to network, exhange with colleagues and partake in discussions in LinkedIn groups. However, up to this day, I cannot say I have ever got a client via LinkedIn.
I hope that helps. Good lu
... See more
I have been using both for at least ten years now, and I can tell you what to expect from them and what not.
ProZ is my best medium when it comes to finding new clients, I can only recommend it. You should spend some time on making your own ProZ profile - it is well worth it.
LinkedIn helps me to network, exhange with colleagues and partake in discussions in LinkedIn groups. However, up to this day, I cannot say I have ever got a client via LinkedIn.
I hope that helps. Good luck!
Collapse

Ivana Kahle
Cecília Alves

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
What is networking? Why would you feel the need to network as a stay-at-home translator? Sep 18, 2023

Unless you're a native English 'niche' translator translating from a major language, and therefore seeking good paying direct clients as opposed to translation agencies.
If you're translating into an 'exotic language', and solely dependent on European and American translation agencies (because, direct clients or no, they're paying peanuts in your native country), LinkedIn is nothing more than a glorified Facebook.
So instead of wasting your time sharing, commenting and liking corny P
... See more
Unless you're a native English 'niche' translator translating from a major language, and therefore seeking good paying direct clients as opposed to translation agencies.
If you're translating into an 'exotic language', and solely dependent on European and American translation agencies (because, direct clients or no, they're paying peanuts in your native country), LinkedIn is nothing more than a glorified Facebook.
So instead of wasting your time sharing, commenting and liking corny PC posts (like a legless Indian man riding a bike or an 'empowered' black woman pulling an impossible stunt) or writing and sharing articles there (something like 'how to make most of your Gmail spam folder and take your freelance translation business to the next level') you're more likely to land clients here on Proz (that is of course if you're a paid member).
At least on this website you actually stand the chance of getting contacted by potential clients without 'networking' or being 'active' online.
Every now and then I check the profile of one German to English translator, whose profile I came across by pure chance when checking out a translation agency on Blueboard one day and bookmarked, who has never posted on these forums and has a total of 8 Kudoz points. As of today his profile says: "This profile has received 810 visits in the last month, from a total of 328 visitors". 328 visitors! 90% of them must be potential clients (as this guy has never once posted on these forums, so he's not getting any visits from curious translators). It beggars belief... He must be raking in the dough instead of getting all inspirational and shit on LinkedIn, and must have some time left to watch footy highlights...

[Edited at 2023-09-18 12:20 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
P.L.F. Persio

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Especially Sep 18, 2023

Networking that never leads to any work, what’s the point of that one?

I can’t answer the original question as it may depend a lot on a language pair and specialization as well.

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Ivana UK

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Spammy posts Sep 18, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

So instead of wasting your time sharing, commenting and liking corny PC posts (like a legless Indian man riding a bike or an 'empowered' black woman pulling an impossible stunt) or writing and sharing articles there (something like 'how to make most of your Gmail spam folder and take your freelance translation business to the next level') you're more likely to land clients here on Proz (that is of course if you're a paid member).

That's not how to network effectively on LinkedIn.

Yes, there is a lot of spam and rubbish, as there is anywhere on social media.

But there are also people on there networking with direct and agency clients, and getting referrals from other translators. It's not for everyone, but it's worth a look.

Cecília Alves

Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro
Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:17
Member (2010)
English to Indonesian
At least... Sep 19, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

At least on this website you actually stand the chance of getting contacted by potential clients without 'networking' or being 'active' online.
Every now and then I check the profile of one German to English translator, whose profile I came across by pure chance when checking out a translation agency on Blueboard one day and bookmarked, who has never posted on these forums and has a total of 8 Kudoz points. As of today his profile says: "This profile has received 810 visits in the last month, from a total of 328 visitors". 328 visitors! 90% of them must be potential clients (as this guy has never once posted on these forums, so he's not getting any visits from curious translators). It beggars belief... He must be raking in the dough instead of getting all inspirational and shit on LinkedIn, and must have some time left to watch footy highlights...

But hey, at least Linkedin is free . You cannot beat free, so just bring your A-game to it.

[Diedit pada 2023-09-19 01:06 GMT]

[Diedit pada 2023-09-19 01:07 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:17
German to English
Proz, for the entertainment value Sep 19, 2023

I briefly had a LinkedIn page to see what it was all about and gave it up.
I even used Facebook for a while to keep track of events relating to the 50th anniversary of my high school graduation. I abandoned it after receiving friend invitations from deceased fprmer classmates. Perhaps they were inviting me to make the great translation and join them in the netherworld. At any rate, it creeped me out and I stopped using the site. Somehow Instagram created a page using my picture from Facebo
... See more
I briefly had a LinkedIn page to see what it was all about and gave it up.
I even used Facebook for a while to keep track of events relating to the 50th anniversary of my high school graduation. I abandoned it after receiving friend invitations from deceased fprmer classmates. Perhaps they were inviting me to make the great translation and join them in the netherworld. At any rate, it creeped me out and I stopped using the site. Somehow Instagram created a page using my picture from Facebook, as I learned from a long-lost acquaintance trying to track me down.

Of all of the social media sites, Proz provides me with the most mirth and I don't plan to quit it anytime soon.
Collapse

Philip Lees
Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio
Yaotl Altan

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I go with both. Sep 19, 2023

I use both for different purposes.

Kudoz is a good research exercise. I have one client who found me on Proz and we've been working together for 3 years. Nothing big but pay one bill every month. This never happened on LinkedIn since I joined 11 years ago. But I was informed about industry conferences and attended two of them, I met with people I'm working with thanks to LinkedIn. I choose my contacts among the translation, broadcasting and motion picture industry. I don't accept a
... See more
I use both for different purposes.

Kudoz is a good research exercise. I have one client who found me on Proz and we've been working together for 3 years. Nothing big but pay one bill every month. This never happened on LinkedIn since I joined 11 years ago. But I was informed about industry conferences and attended two of them, I met with people I'm working with thanks to LinkedIn. I choose my contacts among the translation, broadcasting and motion picture industry. I don't accept anyone's connect request if they're in far different industry so my feed is full with posts that interest me. Of course, sometimes LinkedIn promotes some pages out of my interest area, I simply block them. I've been here since 2016 but I've only been paid member twice. Same for LinkedIn, I use it in a premium mode for few months in a year.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ vs. LinkedIn: Which Platform is Better?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »