Looking for official English translation of Proust
Thread poster: Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:42
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2012

I hope someone can find this, I've not had any success with Google or various other sources.

It's a quote from Albertine disparue, sixth volume of A la recherche du temps perdu.

Talking about the Grand Canal in Venice:

Telles, les demeures disposées des deux côtés du chenal faisaient penser à des sites de la nature, mais d'une nature qui aurait créé ses œuvres avec une imagination humaine.

any help much appreciated!

... See more
I hope someone can find this, I've not had any success with Google or various other sources.

It's a quote from Albertine disparue, sixth volume of A la recherche du temps perdu.

Talking about the Grand Canal in Venice:

Telles, les demeures disposées des deux côtés du chenal faisaient penser à des sites de la nature, mais d'une nature qui aurait créé ses œuvres avec une imagination humaine.

any help much appreciated!

Later: had a brainwave, did a rough translation and googled the best bit ....

Here it is, just in case anyone is curious:

In this way, the mansions arranged along either bank of the canal made one think of objects of nature, but of a nature which seemed to have created its works with a human imagination.

[Edited at 2012-09-25 08:21 GMT]
Collapse

Sam Brightbart
Sam Brightbart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:42
French to English
No one "official" translation Sep 25, 2012

There have been multiple translations of Proust and none of them are "official" as such. It depends why you want it - do you want the translation that most people will recognise or have read?

- If you do, then the original Moncrieff translation was the original translation and probably still the best recognised. However, it's not very close to the original text and he often makes things more flowery than they are in the French.

- Kilmartin reworked Moncrieff's translati
... See more
There have been multiple translations of Proust and none of them are "official" as such. It depends why you want it - do you want the translation that most people will recognise or have read?

- If you do, then the original Moncrieff translation was the original translation and probably still the best recognised. However, it's not very close to the original text and he often makes things more flowery than they are in the French.

- Kilmartin reworked Moncrieff's translation to make it a bit closer to the original but it's still pretty far. Still, quite a good bet.

- Davis and Enright have done more accurate translations which are pretty different from Moncrieff's. Less flowery but well done.

I don't think you can access any of these online - I've looked recently - so if it's important to you then you should probably hunt down a decent library that will have a copy of one of the above!

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:42
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Venice tourist website Sep 25, 2012

Thanks for the input.

It's only for a Venice tourist website, they've put in various quotes by famous writers and Proust was the only one that posed a problem. They gave the Italian, of course, but I soon found the French.

So the one I found (on the Wikipedia Proust page) will suit the purpose very well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for official English translation of Proust

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »