Mouse or Rat. Fly or Cow!
Thread poster: Russell Jones
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:03
Italian to English
May 9, 2010

This article in yesterday's The Times about Shaun Whiteside's translation of Donato Carrisi's "Il Suggeritore" (The Whisperer) reminded me of Umberto Eco's treatise on translation.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/fiction/article7118145.ece

Natalia Betiana Manfredi
Natalia Betiana Manfredi
Argentina
Local time: 13:03
English to Spanish
Thank you May 9, 2010

Dear Russel,
Thanks for sharing his article. It has been really interesting to read!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:03
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Translated or traduced? May 10, 2010

Russell Jones wrote:

This article ....... reminded me of Umberto Eco's treatise on translation.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/fiction/article7118145.ece

I've never been able to work out if the English-language version of Eco's book "Mouse or Rat?" is a translation from the Italian. It is based on a series of lectures he originally gave at Toronto University, but did he deliver those lectures in English? If he did, his English is extremely good. In my English-language copy of his book, no translator is credited.

Does anyone know?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mouse or Rat. Fly or Cow!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »