Off topic: Translating recipes
Thread poster: Philip Lees
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:26
Greek to English
Jun 9, 2022

I haven't done any of this kind of translation myself, but I heard a programme on the BBC this morning about translators who work with recipes and I found it quite interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct38mx

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:26
French to English
. Jun 9, 2022

I don't have time to listen, but I have often translated recipes.
There are *always* mistakes. Most often an ingredient that pops up in the instructions that was not mentioned in the list of ingredients, but also the wrong number of zeros in amounts, or instructions that really ought to be pointed out from the outset (like my cheesecake recipe, which ends with "refrigerate for at least 24hrs"). Not to mention names for run-of-the-mill baking pans that went out of fashion with Queen Victor
... See more
I don't have time to listen, but I have often translated recipes.
There are *always* mistakes. Most often an ingredient that pops up in the instructions that was not mentioned in the list of ingredients, but also the wrong number of zeros in amounts, or instructions that really ought to be pointed out from the outset (like my cheesecake recipe, which ends with "refrigerate for at least 24hrs"). Not to mention names for run-of-the-mill baking pans that went out of fashion with Queen Victoria.

I had to laugh once when I had a recipe for a vegan dish. The French are very much behind the times in terms of meat-free meals. The author sent it in, then later very helpfully sent in a "simplified" version because obviously I would have no idea what quinoa and cracked wheat were. I told her that had I not known, I'd look it up, that's literally what I do all day. But not to worry, as a long-time veggie, I'd been eating quinoa since before she was born.

Something far worse than translating recipes: proofreading the chef's translation! I had to do that once, for a chef who really went to town on using poetic turns of phrase to describe the food. He really needed to show just how seriously he took his vocation in life. I streamlined the whole thing and pared it down into something more matter-of-fact and to-the-point, because no English-speaking person could have related to "whip the egg whites until they take on a resemblance to summertime clouds frozen in the photographer's frame"*. I mean "until stiff" was perfectly adequate after all. That may have been the point at which I started keeping a post-it reminding me to "cut the crap" on my monitor.

*Be thankful that I spared you the grammar mistakes!
Collapse

Assaf Rosenkrantz
Robin LEPLUMEY
Barbara Carrara
Florence Risser
Esther Dodo
Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Jun 9, 2022

I have not found the time to listen yet, either, but I am reminded of a job offer I saw recently:

Translating subtitles for a live cooking show with several renown chefs cooking complex dishes simultaneously.
Special circumstances: the show is in language xxx (which I do not speak) -- I am supposed to work into German off English pivot subtitles.

Fiona Gonçalves
Fiona Gonçalves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:26
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Brilliant! :D Jun 9, 2022

"whip the egg whites until they take on a resemblance to summertime clouds frozen in the photographer's frame"*. I mean "until stiff" was perfectly adequate after all.

Oh my goodness, yes, I can so relate to this! I translate a lot of recipes and fancy hotel menus and I get this sort of thing all the time. And then they always want to know why I've simplified it so much.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Fried Jun 9, 2022

The thing I can't stand is "pan fried".

Is there any way of frying anything other than in a pan?

[Edited at 2022-06-09 12:26 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Sarah Lewis-Morgan

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not using what you have between your ears... Jun 9, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

I see that all the time in translations from Danish. This is definitely an area where you have to translate the meaning, not just the words!

If you look up the Danish verb 'stege' you get a definition about cooking with the addition of fat, normally in a pan.
The verb 'bage' is defined more or less as the English word from the same root - preparing food with strong heat in an oven.

However... meat is almost always ´stegt´ - whether fried in a pan or roasted in the oven. Danish meatballs are traditionally fried in a pan, but can be mass-produced in an oven. ´Pandestegt´ (= pan-fried) means fried traditionally, with implications of home-made, as opposed to an industrial process. A roast joint, naturally, is ´ovnstegt´ (oven roasted).

Pancakes and items like drop-scones, Welsh cakes or flat bread and so on are always ´bagt´ - although the process goes on in the frying pan. So ´oven-baked´ (ovnbagte) buns are different.

And don´t get me started on the Danish word krydderi ... which covers herbs, spices and seasonings indiscriminately. Many Danes think it is utterly confusing when I try to explain the difference, and ask why I can´t simply say ´spicy´ ...

Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Pan fried Jun 9, 2022

In addition to individual words, translators should be familiar with cooking processes and techniques (the famouse “subject-matter knowledge” that we are constantly reminded of on these forums).

Pan fried implies a minimal amount of
... See more
In addition to individual words, translators should be familiar with cooking processes and techniques (the famouse “subject-matter knowledge” that we are constantly reminded of on these forums).

Pan fried implies a minimal amount of oil, specific temperature, etc.

https://www.atgrillscookware.com/blogs/cooking/what-is-the-difference-between-deep-frying-and-pan-frying
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Becca Resnik
Michele Fauble
expressisverbis

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Frying Jun 9, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Yes, there is also "deep" frying.

Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:26
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
Etymology Jun 9, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Maybe it's "pan" as in "pandemic", or "pan-European". It means it's fried all over.

Becca Resnik
Assaf Rosenkrantz
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
English to Arabic
+ ...
Wrooong Jun 9, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Always wanted to try that infamous "wrooong." It does give a sense of power, indeed. 😝

Of course, there is!
You could fry in practically any metallic container with high-enough upward edges.
You can even fry in heat-resistant glass/clay containers with those same edges indicated above.
Not to mention Air Fryers, which are not pans at all, and supposedly have the lowest cooking-oil/butter consumption.

expressisverbis
Assaf Rosenkrantz

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
On Friday... Jun 11, 2022

... the following tutorial video came to my mind again regarding the term "frying":

https://youtu.be/Z10S-iivx1o

I hope it helps to ease the waves.

Disclaimer: Title of the song in the video isn't related to any participants of this discussion and not meant offensive in any way.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-06-11 06:27 GMT]

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating recipes

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »