Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Can I translate legal documents without yet being a sworn translation?
Thread poster: Leonel Acuna
leeshin
leeshin
China
get experienced Jul 16, 2015

i recommend you to experience in general translations for some period of time because legal documents are very important thing. and no one is ready to get inaccurate legal files. sometimes you will be pushed in serious struggle. so try yourself some general files and after checking your efficiency you can take up legal translation services

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:16
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No Jul 16, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

I translated many documents for lawyers, police and correction departments, law-making bodies, and I also translated a lot of commercial agreements. I rarely come across any legal term that is beyond common sense, except in the commercial agreements. Those couple of terms that have particular meanings in legal sense in the commercial agreements all have established translations, which can easily be copied from the websites.

In my view, unless you are translating law school text books, legal translations are mostly general as regards to their topic areas. To be a so-called legal translator, you don't need to go to law school. Any translator who is competent in translating general texts can be a good legal translator.

Don't scare yourself by how this sector is being called. It is one of the easiest fields, much easier than marketing translation, or even easier than general press releases.

While I agree that certain types of legal texts can be translated competently by someone without a specialized training, I would caution anyone against this cavalier attitude. It is easy to mess up a legal translation really badly, and saying it is one of the easiest fields is way off base in my opinion. It is a field that requires great attention to detail and specialized knowledge and/or specialized research skills.
My translator training included one class in legal translation, so I have a tiny bit of training and a reasonable amount of experience. I take on certain types of legal translations, but I reject a lot of jobs in this area... they are not worth the headache and the potential trouble down the line.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
I recommend this excellent book on the subject Jul 16, 2015

It describes the many pitfalls in legal translation: Legal Translation Explained: http://amzn.to/1CJbKNZ

[Edited at 2015-07-16 12:34 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I translate legal documents without yet being a sworn translation?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »