Notarized translation
Thread poster: FilipBg
FilipBg
FilipBg
Serbia
Local time: 10:38
Feb 1, 2014

Hello everyone... I'm a student applying for a scholarship in the Netherlands, and I am required to send a notarized copy of my high school diploma... The problem is, I don't know what exactly is meant by notarized copy in EU countries, and that we don't have a public notary as a person/institution in my country(Serbia)... So I don't know what to do, and can't explain them is this what I can send to them an equivalent of notarized translation since I'm not knowledgeable about this terminology...... See more
Hello everyone... I'm a student applying for a scholarship in the Netherlands, and I am required to send a notarized copy of my high school diploma... The problem is, I don't know what exactly is meant by notarized copy in EU countries, and that we don't have a public notary as a person/institution in my country(Serbia)... So I don't know what to do, and can't explain them is this what I can send to them an equivalent of notarized translation since I'm not knowledgeable about this terminology....
What I know we do have are sworn translators (translators/linguistics professionals who had to take also some law exams and are given permission by court of justice to do they job) who translate, attach translation to the original document and seal both of them...

Can anyone please help me, how to solve this?
Collapse

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:38
English to Russian
+ ...
The best way to proceed... Feb 1, 2014

is to ask the organization where you are going to send your application. Different countries and schools have different requirements, so if you want to make sure your documents are exactly what they require, send them an enquiry (by post or email).
Good luck!

Rose Marie Matei (X)
Rose Marie Matei (X)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Notarized translation Feb 1, 2014

It is a translation made by a sworn/official translator which is then taken to a Public Notary who certifies either the translation or the translator's signature (as in Romania).
A notarised copy is a photocopy of the original Serbian document again certified by a Public Notary, conforming that the copy is true to the original.

FilipBg
FilipBg
Serbia
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Feb 1, 2014

Well, I asked them what exactly is a notarized translation and here is part of answer:
it has to be an official translation. This means that the notary needs to translate your diploma into english, sign and put a stamp on it.

So I don't know what to answer them because there are no public notaries here, and (I think) i can get only a sworn/official translation... So, now I know what notarized translation is an that I can't get it...

Do you have both sworn translat
... See more
Well, I asked them what exactly is a notarized translation and here is part of answer:
it has to be an official translation. This means that the notary needs to translate your diploma into english, sign and put a stamp on it.

So I don't know what to answer them because there are no public notaries here, and (I think) i can get only a sworn/official translation... So, now I know what notarized translation is an that I can't get it...

Do you have both sworn translators and (what would be the other?) regular translator? If so, what's the difference between translate made by sworn translator and notarized translation?
You have in my first post description of what sworn translator does in my country, to me it seems 'legitimate' enough...
Collapse

Rose Marie Matei (X)
Rose Marie Matei (X)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Notarized translation and copy Feb 1, 2014

Well in Romania we have no sworn translators but we have the official translators who are licensed by the Ministry of Justice. Their signatures can be notarized by a public notary as opposed to regular translators whose signatures cannot be notarized since they are not licensed by the Ministry of Justice.
I can tell you that it is not often that you can find a notary public who speaks a foreign language well enough to translate the document (or who is authorized to do so, for that matter)
... See more
Well in Romania we have no sworn translators but we have the official translators who are licensed by the Ministry of Justice. Their signatures can be notarized by a public notary as opposed to regular translators whose signatures cannot be notarized since they are not licensed by the Ministry of Justice.
I can tell you that it is not often that you can find a notary public who speaks a foreign language well enough to translate the document (or who is authorized to do so, for that matter).
From my own experience of what I have translated so far for Romanian students going abroad to study in the EU you should have a copy of the original document certified by a public notary and a translation either certified by a notary (and I am sure this can be done in Serbia, because a translator's signature can be notarized anywhere in the world, it is a procedure recognized just anywhere) or just a simple translation under the signature and stamp of a sworn translator.
I think what the school in Netherlands wants is to make sure that the translation of your papers is accurate so that they can assess your performance and that the document you send them is a true copy of your original document (because obviously you will not the original..)
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:38
Russian to English
+ ...
Notaries don't translate anything-- they only notarize documents Feb 1, 2014

FilipBg wrote:

Do you have both sworn translators and (what would be the other?) regular translator? If so, what's the difference between translate made by sworn translator and notarized translation?
You have in my first post description of what sworn translator does in my country, to me it seems 'legitimate' enough...

They must have meant a certified translator (they have them in some countries--not all). Otherwise it has to be traslated by a qualified translator who would sign a certificate of accuracy in front of a notary public, or a consular officer in the Consulate of he country for which the translation is meant. If it is just notarized, you will need and apostille. In this case, the consulate might be your only choice, since there are no notaries in your country.

FilipBg
FilipBg
Serbia
TOPIC STARTER
... Feb 1, 2014

Rose Marie Matei wrote:
Well in Romania we have no sworn translators

Is notary than just making sure that copies are equivalent to original? If so, I've solved my problem.
Rose Marie Matei wrote:
you should have a copy of the original document certified by a public notary and a translation either certified by a notary (and I am sure this can be done in Serbia, because a translator's signature can be notarized anywhere in the world, it is a procedure recognized just anywhere) or just a simple translation under the signature and stamp of a sworn translator.

Could you please tell me how you meant that? There really aren't public notaries here, I saw in newspapers that there are courses for them currently and they will start working from next year or so...
And now I think that other institutions in Serbia are providing services that notaries do in other countries (court for signatures, municipality for certified copies)... And after reading comments in this topic I came to believe that sworn translator here does everything as notary in foreign countries (As I've said they attach translation to the original document and seal both of them so nothing can be removed)

Well, thanks everyone. It's obvious that no one can tell me for sure. I'll contact them again, and contact a few sworn translators here and ask them also...

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:38
Russian to English
+ ...
You can call the Embassy of the Netherlands Feb 1, 2014

in your country, and they will tell you how to proceed.

Rose Marie Matei (X)
Rose Marie Matei (X)
English to Romanian
+ ...
-- Feb 2, 2014

Indeed you could go to the Diplomatic Mission or Consulate of the Netherlands in Belgrade
http://serbia.nlembassy.org/services/consular-services/notarial-acts.html
to have notarial services done.
But you still need an official / certified translation. Again, that can be done there. Or, if you plan to go to the Netherlands you can do all these
... See more
Indeed you could go to the Diplomatic Mission or Consulate of the Netherlands in Belgrade
http://serbia.nlembassy.org/services/consular-services/notarial-acts.html
to have notarial services done.
But you still need an official / certified translation. Again, that can be done there. Or, if you plan to go to the Netherlands you can do all these at the Serbian Embassy in Hague.
But, if you have no public notaries in Serbia yet, I think there should be State Notaries in the Court or another similar authority who certifies copies or translations.
The simplest way is to get into touch with the Consulate of Netherlands in Belgrade, even if you do not live in Belgrade.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notarized translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »