Translation Validation Certificate
Thread poster: Conversa
Conversa
Conversa
Local time: 03:41
English to French
+ ...
Feb 7, 2011

A client of mine has been getting asked to fill our Translation Validation Certificates. She asked me as to why her clients would be asking her to fill these out. Part of the form reads:

VALIDATION
____ The translation did not require any changes.
____ The translation mentioned above has been revised. I, the undersigned, confirm that

THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN CHANGED IN THE TRANSLATION:

Page No, Section: TEXT or reference to a track
... See more
A client of mine has been getting asked to fill our Translation Validation Certificates. She asked me as to why her clients would be asking her to fill these out. Part of the form reads:

VALIDATION
____ The translation did not require any changes.
____ The translation mentioned above has been revised. I, the undersigned, confirm that

THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN CHANGED IN THE TRANSLATION:

Page No, Section: TEXT or reference to a track-changes document attached
NONE to be stated if no text changed

REASONS/ COMMENTS:
e.g. changes to the initial document (new version identifier to be listed here if applicable), corrections of wording or grammar mistakes in the translation, or NO changes required

My client has never been asked to fill out these forms and is concerned that there might be a problem with the translations. Does anyone or their clients need to sign these forms and if so, why?

thanks,

Gerry Thiemann
Conversa Language Center
Collapse

Holger Laux
Holger Laux  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
proof-reading certificate Feb 7, 2011

This looks more like a proof-reading certificate to me. Nothing suspicious, just a QA procedure to confirm a second translator has seen the document before delivery.

Holger

Conversa
Conversa
Local time: 03:41
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Feb 10, 2011

You are probably right. I had never seen one before. thanks,

Gerry

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Agency trick Feb 10, 2011

If you search around, some - hopefully not so many - translation agencies' web sites promise that each and every translation they deliver will have been thoroughly proofread by an equally competent linguist, other than the one who first translated it. Then you go to their recruitment page, and there you'll see that they demand translators to deliver final, thoroughly checked translations, that can be delivered as-is to the end-client. Finally, you go to their terms and conditions for vendors pag... See more
If you search around, some - hopefully not so many - translation agencies' web sites promise that each and every translation they deliver will have been thoroughly proofread by an equally competent linguist, other than the one who first translated it. Then you go to their recruitment page, and there you'll see that they demand translators to deliver final, thoroughly checked translations, that can be delivered as-is to the end-client. Finally, you go to their terms and conditions for vendors page, and see that they impose overly heavy pecuniary penalties for mistakes found in the translations delivered.

Bottom line is that they tell the client that one guy will translate, another one will check, so they charge for the work of both, plus their "value-adding project management". What they actually do is to give one guy the whole job at his/her stated "best rate", and deliver their output untouched, unopened, to the end client. If the client complains, they'll use it as an excuse not to pay the translator at all.

If you look for WWA=1s on the Blue Board, you'll see several epilogues of stories like this.

Hence it seems that some agencies are collecting evidence to show that they don't adopt such practices.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Validation Certificate

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »