Thread poster: Simona Louis
Simona Louis
Simona Louis
Local time: 19:26
English to French
+ ...
Dec 20, 2005

Hello everybody,

As I was trying to fill in the URSSAF registration form, a few questions arose.
Here they are: Regarding the tax regime, should I choose B.N.C? And what about the VAT (T.V.A.)? I have three main options: franchise en base, réel simplifié and réel normal.
And what about the social security? Which "Organisme conventionné" or "mutuelle" is the best one?

Merci d'avance.

Simona

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Simona, you might want to post this in the French forum. Dec 20, 2005

Did you sit down with someone at URSSAF to help you go through the forms?

Normally, unless you choose "micro-entreprise" (simplifié) as a regime, URSSAF will send your details to the tax office, which will then give you your VAT number. If you don't hear from them, contact the tax office directly. If you give them your SIRET/SIREN, they should be able to send you your VAT number.

As for "micro-entreprise" (simplifié) as a regime, be careful when choosing this. You can
... See more
Did you sit down with someone at URSSAF to help you go through the forms?

Normally, unless you choose "micro-entreprise" (simplifié) as a regime, URSSAF will send your details to the tax office, which will then give you your VAT number. If you don't hear from them, contact the tax office directly. If you give them your SIRET/SIREN, they should be able to send you your VAT number.

As for "micro-entreprise" (simplifié) as a regime, be careful when choosing this. You cannot earn more than 27,000 euros per year. If you go over this threshold during the year, you must switch to the BNC (normal) regime, which can create problems if you have not been keeping your books adequately.

You can also contact your local "centre de gestion" for help. I would recommend joining the center (usually around 200 euros per year for membership, but you get an additional standard deduction of 20% off your taxable income). I would also recommend talking to an accountant.

For medical, you have a choice, I think. As I am not in Paris, I chose "RAM provinces". I don't think it really makes much of a difference. A mutuelle is additional insurance and this is entirely up to you (I have a good one through my husband's employer, so I didn't need to worry about that). As far as I know, you can't deduct premium payments to your mutuelle as a business expense.

Good luck!

Sara

[Edited at 2005-12-20 10:41]

[Edited at 2005-12-20 10:43]

[Edited at 2005-12-20 10:47]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:26
French to English
Book recommendation Dec 20, 2005

Hi,

Get a copy of "S'installer a son compte" by Christian Cesbron & Anne-Laure Sterin, published by Delmas.

It's brilliant and tells you everything you could possibly want or need to know, and has sample copies of the forms filled in as examples, and pretty much everything. (There really isn't, or wasn't in 2003, much on the internet to help you.)

When I was setting up in France, I called URSSAF because I didn't know which insurance to select, or why. I wa
... See more
Hi,

Get a copy of "S'installer a son compte" by Christian Cesbron & Anne-Laure Sterin, published by Delmas.

It's brilliant and tells you everything you could possibly want or need to know, and has sample copies of the forms filled in as examples, and pretty much everything. (There really isn't, or wasn't in 2003, much on the internet to help you.)

When I was setting up in France, I called URSSAF because I didn't know which insurance to select, or why. I was told, in effect, that they are all the same, just choose the one nearest to where you live in case you ever need to go there in person

Good luck,
Charlie
Collapse

Simona Louis
Simona Louis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Registering as a frelance translator in France Dec 20, 2005

Thanks to both of you. Your advice was very useful and I hope to make the right choices. I am supposed to send the registration form to the URSSAF but having in mind that nothing is perfect for the French administration I think to go there personnally.
And as it is never too much to have more opinions, I would be grateful to anyone who wishes to share his/ her experience in this matter.

Simona

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 10:26
English to French
+ ...
Are you in Paris? Dec 21, 2005

If you are, I would say, don't go to the main URSSAF office, you'll spend the better part of a day waiting in line. Go to a URSSAF permanence instead, they have one at the CAF rue Nationale once a week. As very few people use those, you won't have to wait too long -no more than 30 minutes in my experience.

As for Sécurité Sociale, I recommend you check with local translators as the premiums tend to vary with the office that actually handles your file. Sara is right, you can claim
... See more
If you are, I would say, don't go to the main URSSAF office, you'll spend the better part of a day waiting in line. Go to a URSSAF permanence instead, they have one at the CAF rue Nationale once a week. As very few people use those, you won't have to wait too long -no more than 30 minutes in my experience.

As for Sécurité Sociale, I recommend you check with local translators as the premiums tend to vary with the office that actually handles your file. Sara is right, you can claim your mutuelle premiums as deductions.

Micro-entreprise + Forfait may be good if you're just starting out and you know you won't exceed the regulation 27,000 €. Otherwise, you may want to start with BNC right away. I strongly recommend you visit your local Hôtel des Impôts, they'll tell you about the plus and minuses of both. They appreciate people talking to them before they make decisions, too.

My two eurocents.
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Mutuelle Dec 21, 2005

sarahl wrote:

Sara is right, you can claim your mutuelle premiums as deductions.

Hi Sarah,

As far as I know, you *can't* deduct your mutuelle premium payments as a business expense. It is a personal expense. Crazy, huh? You can deduct premium payments for insurance against loss of revenue because that falls under the Madelin law.

Sara

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 10:26
English to French
+ ...
Well... Dec 21, 2005

Hi Sara-hold-the-h

I always had a line for those in my Compte de résultats schedule. I never filled it because I never had my own mutuelle, but every year when I filed my income with Sécu they would send the forms back to me because I had entered nothing on that line and they thought it was an oversight. You see, it works (or it used to work) like taxe pro, they would "réintégrer" that into your income.

... See more
Hi Sara-hold-the-h

I always had a line for those in my Compte de résultats schedule. I never filled it because I never had my own mutuelle, but every year when I filed my income with Sécu they would send the forms back to me because I had entered nothing on that line and they thought it was an oversight. You see, it works (or it used to work) like taxe pro, they would "réintégrer" that into your income.

I think Loi Madelin gives you discounted Sécu premiums the first 3 years.

Did I tell you how much I like it here?

[Edited at 2005-12-21 18:36]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Registering as a frelance translator in France

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »