Italian immigration: Lavoro autonomo
Thread poster: reblack
reblack
reblack
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2005

A plea for help! I have to change current Italian permesso di soggiorno and I want to apply for a permesso di soggiorno per lavoro autonomo. I am a Canadian citizen who has been working as a freelance translator here in Italy for a while and I have only had a partita iva for a few months. Has anyone ever requested this type of permit as a freelance translator? If so, what documents did you need to present? What kind of income do you have to show? As usually, it all seem impossibly complex and my... See more
A plea for help! I have to change current Italian permesso di soggiorno and I want to apply for a permesso di soggiorno per lavoro autonomo. I am a Canadian citizen who has been working as a freelance translator here in Italy for a while and I have only had a partita iva for a few months. Has anyone ever requested this type of permit as a freelance translator? If so, what documents did you need to present? What kind of income do you have to show? As usually, it all seem impossibly complex and my head feels like its going to implode.

Thanks for any advice.

Rachel
Collapse

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:29
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Have you tried contacting the Canadian Embassy? Feb 21, 2005

Rachel,
You must have contacts with the Embassy for other reasons and they should have a section for people like yourself.
Regards
Angela

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Consulato Canadese Feb 21, 2005

I suggest contacting the Canadian Consulate. They will be able able to give you legal advice regarding Italian immigration laws (if they are anything like the US consulate!). The Embassy is more apt in resolving diplomatic issues.
And whatever you do- make out all your paperwork in triplicate! Paper is what Italy runs on, as you probably know. JLB

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
The Canadian consular office is in the Rome Embassy Feb 21, 2005

That was what I meant by a "section" for people seeking advice like Rachel is.

JL Baker wrote:

I suggest contacting the Canadian Consulate. JLB

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
As far as I know Feb 21, 2005

Hi Rachel, I remember that I read something about a special permit for freelance translators in Italy.
Check this out and good luck (although I would never suggest to anybody to relocate to Italy, but this is not relevant here
Giusi
Procedure concernenti l’ingresso di traduttori ed interpreti
... Quesito Permesso di soggiorno per "motivi di giustizia". ... Si chiarisce in fine, che
il per
... See more
Hi Rachel, I remember that I read something about a special permit for freelance translators in Italy.
Check this out and good luck (although I would never suggest to anybody to relocate to Italy, but this is not relevant here
Giusi
... Quesito Permesso di soggiorno per "motivi di giustizia". ... Si chiarisce in fine, che
il permesso di soggiorno per lavoro "autonomo" concesso ex art. 39 co. ...
www.immigrazioneintoscana.it/htm/a_norme/ leggi%20anolf/6%20m%20interno/archivio/6-48.htm - 6k - Copia cache - Pagine simili
[ Altri risultati in www.immigrazioneintoscana.it ]

... Conseguentemente, operando nei confronti del marito convivente il divieto di espulsione,
al medesimo dovrà essere rilasciato il permesso di soggiorno per cure ...
www.lex.unict.it/dml-online/ corrente/online/dossier/cap9/circolare.htm - 9k
Collapse

Vicky Shelton
Vicky Shelton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
you need to go to your local questura Feb 21, 2005

Hi Rachel,
I am in the process of doing the same thing. You need to go to your local questura and they will give you a list of what you need. To renew (if your address is still the same): stato di famiglia (if you have children), certificato di residenza, copy of your passport, your old permesso di soggiorno, a "bilancino" from your accountant stamped and signed, a bollo for 10 euro, and three photos which you can get in one of those machines.
The amount of money you need to make var
... See more
Hi Rachel,
I am in the process of doing the same thing. You need to go to your local questura and they will give you a list of what you need. To renew (if your address is still the same): stato di famiglia (if you have children), certificato di residenza, copy of your passport, your old permesso di soggiorno, a "bilancino" from your accountant stamped and signed, a bollo for 10 euro, and three photos which you can get in one of those machines.
The amount of money you need to make varies on the number of dependents you have: I have two children and I needed to make the equivalent of 20 million lire the last time I renewed (two years ago), I think it was 16 million for an individual.
I changed my status from freelance worker for an American company to teacher to translator without any hassle...they now have me listed as a "lettore" which I am not but it does not really matter. They may also ask to see a copy of your last income tax returns, libretto sanitario and rent contract or proof that you own a house.
I had trouble once in the past with the questura (I did not renew in time) and it was a major headache. I went to the US consulate in Florence but they cannot do anything as it is an entirely Italian matter.
If you have any well-connected friends, like judges or local politicians they can help. A lot also depends on the specific questura and how many foreign residents there are. Some are very strict, others more laissez faire.
Good luck and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Vicky
Collapse

reblack
reblack
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for everyone's input Mar 7, 2005

I just wanted to let everyone know what I found out. First of all, a permesso di soggiorno per lavoro autonomo can be obtained by translators but it requires a lot of paper work (registration with the chamber of commerces, documents showing sufficient income, etc). Since I have just opened a partita iva and found it difficult to demonstrate sufficient income, I opted to negociate a co-co-co contract with one of my clients, which should hopefully get me the same type of permesso.

Wha
... See more
I just wanted to let everyone know what I found out. First of all, a permesso di soggiorno per lavoro autonomo can be obtained by translators but it requires a lot of paper work (registration with the chamber of commerces, documents showing sufficient income, etc). Since I have just opened a partita iva and found it difficult to demonstrate sufficient income, I opted to negociate a co-co-co contract with one of my clients, which should hopefully get me the same type of permesso.

What a pain in the but! All of the time spent on paper work could be time spent working or doing something productive. It only seems to get harder in the country.

Good luck to anyone going through the same process and thank you for all of you useful replies.

Cheers,

Rachel
Collapse

Vicky Shelton
Vicky Shelton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
C of C not necessary Mar 15, 2005

Hi Rachel,
One other thing after reading your post. I am not registered with the Chamber of Commerce as my accountant said it was not necessary. I think it has to do with the code they use for you. If you do decide to go with freelancing later you might want to consider this.
Best of luck
Vicky

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian immigration: Lavoro autonomo

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »