Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:28
Catalan to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2004

Hi,

Not sure I'm in the right forum but I trust a moderator will change it if necessary.

I have a friend currently working in Germany as an in-house translator who will be working freelance in Spain (for the same company for internal reasons) for a 3-6 month period.

Please, could anyone who has had a similar experience or has any useful information to offer for someone transferring in this way from Germany to Spain please share it here?

Any ide
... See more
Hi,

Not sure I'm in the right forum but I trust a moderator will change it if necessary.

I have a friend currently working in Germany as an in-house translator who will be working freelance in Spain (for the same company for internal reasons) for a 3-6 month period.

Please, could anyone who has had a similar experience or has any useful information to offer for someone transferring in this way from Germany to Spain please share it here?

Any ideas, advice, info. etc... will be much appreciated.

Andy (andycw)
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:58
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Very intriguing situation Oct 16, 2004

Let me recapitulate. Your friend is an inhouse translator for a company in Germany and now he is in Spain and is to work as a freelancer for the same company while staying in Spain.

Quite unusual that. But I feel that the internal reasons are compelling. Let us see. Does your friend continue to be fulltime employee of the said company or not? In the latter case for the duration of his stay in Spain, he does not get any salary. This has to be made good plus the cost of stay in Spain
... See more
Let me recapitulate. Your friend is an inhouse translator for a company in Germany and now he is in Spain and is to work as a freelancer for the same company while staying in Spain.

Quite unusual that. But I feel that the internal reasons are compelling. Let us see. Does your friend continue to be fulltime employee of the said company or not? In the latter case for the duration of his stay in Spain, he does not get any salary. This has to be made good plus the cost of stay in Spain in terms of accommadation and travel. His renumeration as a freelancer should cover this. This is assuming that the entire idea is that of the company.

In the former case, no problem. A salaried employee on being posted abroad draws his salary plus stay and travel allowances. Both the amounts should work out to the same

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:28
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Narasimhan Oct 16, 2004

Thanks for the input.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but she was particularly concerned about whether in Spain there existed anything similar to "Scheinselbstständigkeit", i.e. for the initial period she will not be salaried but working for the same company/agency as a freelance, yet apparently in Germany you are not allowed to declare yourself a "self-employed" person if you work more than 19 hours per week for one company and have no other clients.

She will in
... See more
Thanks for the input.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but she was particularly concerned about whether in Spain there existed anything similar to "Scheinselbstständigkeit", i.e. for the initial period she will not be salaried but working for the same company/agency as a freelance, yet apparently in Germany you are not allowed to declare yourself a "self-employed" person if you work more than 19 hours per week for one company and have no other clients.

She will initially (3-6 months) work only for this company but will later work full-time as a freelancer.

I have put her mind to rest about that aspect, as there is no comparable legislation in Spain, but it occurred to me there may be other differences she should be aware of.

If anyone here has relocated from Germany to Spain while at the same time changing from "salaried" to "freelance" status, any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Andy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Temporary freelance stay in Spain from Germany

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »