EU residence permits to be abolished in Germany
Thread poster: RobinB
CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
Local time: 09:53
French to English
+ ...
This is worse than being at school Oct 7, 2004

I thought we were all adults on this site and that freedom of speech still existed. I'm beginning to have my doubts!

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:53
German to English
+ ...
Panel Discussions - This is a Lively Discussion with the Emphasis on Life!:-) Oct 7, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

Have you seen any panel discussion in TV or some places?
Sometimes someone may invite to focus on main issues and try to help healty progress of discussions, or to put together a subject went away to different directions. The main issue is not because they are not adults but sometimes hot debates may evolve to some undesired ends.

CMJ_Trans wrote:

I thought we were all adults on this site and that freedom of speech still existed. I'm beginning to have my doubts!

I'm sorry, Tayfun, but I agree with CMJ Trans. This isn't a panel discussion on TV - It's a lively forum discussion and oh, wouldn't it be a shame if people only stuck to "safe" topics and avoided the controversial, as you seem to have suggested above. What's wrong with being controversial? - It can also be very productive by getting things changed and making people aware of certain issues (i.e. opening their eyes). There's bad in the world just as there is good - there's no point in sweeping it under the carpet.

Moreover, what hot debate has arised here to undesired ends? - people aren't arguing - they all seem to agree that bureaucrats often abuse their positions and do what they like despite legislation. Nobody's called anybody names, nobody's embarrassed or humilated anyone.

I for one am glad that posters do not always strictly stick to the line of discussion, because if they did we'd be missing out on a lot of things - but then, this was discussed before and a whole lot of other people seeemed to be of the same opinion.

You may be the moderator of this forum, but correct me if I'm wrong - you're only supposed to intervene if necessary and I don't really see the necessity here - I just looked at the kudoz rules - I think the one you're referring to is "stay on topic", but then we didn't really stray - the whole time we were talking about residence permits and the implications. I feel patronised and I also can't think of any justifiable reason for you attempting to nip this thread in the bud.

Best regards,

Sarah Downing

[Edited at 2004-10-07 17:16]

[Edited at 2004-10-07 17:24]

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Holland Oct 7, 2004

Here till five years you go every year to get the permit renewed. After five years you go less often (I don't remember exactly) and at one time you get one illimited.

But they have changed things several times already since I am here. Anyway, I got my "creditcard format" permit some years ago, very nice with photo and many glitters and holograms (supposed to prevent forgery). It looks like a square CD.

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Freedom of speech Oct 7, 2004

Very interesting and informative thread, this one, though I fail to understand what Tayfun is getting so worked up about. I didn't notice anyone getting nasty, least of all Sarah, who wouldn't hurt a fly - except if it landed on her laptop.

I'll be leaving my passport at home from now on. Shame, really, because I've always enjoyed showing my passport to arrogant German officials - seeing how long it takes them to decipher the Gaelic. Yes, "Loch Garman" means "Wexford", ist doch klaa
... See more
Very interesting and informative thread, this one, though I fail to understand what Tayfun is getting so worked up about. I didn't notice anyone getting nasty, least of all Sarah, who wouldn't hurt a fly - except if it landed on her laptop.

I'll be leaving my passport at home from now on. Shame, really, because I've always enjoyed showing my passport to arrogant German officials - seeing how long it takes them to decipher the Gaelic. Yes, "Loch Garman" means "Wexford", ist doch klaaaar!
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:53
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Gaelic passports Oct 7, 2004

Ian Winick wrote:

I'll be leaving my passport at home from now on. Shame, really, because I've always enjoyed showing my passport to arrogant German officials - seeing how long it takes them to decipher the Gaelic. Yes, "Loch Garman" means "Wexford", ist doch klaaaar!

Irish passports are bilingual? Hadn't thought of that - I'll have to ask my nieces to show me their passports when I see them later this month.

It's bad enough trying to teach the English to pronounce Kirkcaldy, far less German officials...

But seriously, how often have you had to show your passport to German officials, other than at airports?

Robin

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:23
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
I waited 24 hours before answering this Oct 8, 2004

Because I didn't want to rush with an answer. Now I agree that in my case traveling to Germany, France and Italy is ideal and highly recommended. But you yourself referred to a financial commitment. And what a commitment Sir! But I will not go into it for now.

It is mainly because of the administrative hassles that I hesitate to go in for passport in the first place. Only of late things have been simplified. And then there is the question of visa. Officials in the consulates of West
... See more
Because I didn't want to rush with an answer. Now I agree that in my case traveling to Germany, France and Italy is ideal and highly recommended. But you yourself referred to a financial commitment. And what a commitment Sir! But I will not go into it for now.

It is mainly because of the administrative hassles that I hesitate to go in for passport in the first place. Only of late things have been simplified. And then there is the question of visa. Officials in the consulates of West European countries and the USA approach the Indian applicants with suspicion. They are under the impression that once an Indian reaches their country, he vanishes from public view and starts earning money without valid work permits. Hence their questioning is very tough and probing even personal matters. We are asked to convince them that we will definitely come back to India. I personally find the entire process very humiliating.

There is one more point. Thanks to my voracious reading of books and magazines in German and in French, I have a rough idea of how daily life is going to be in the respective countries and I am not impressed. Thanks to my reading habit those countries come to me here in India. Why should I then brave all the hassles, pay good money in the bargain? I usually translate from German/French/Italian into Indian English, which is quite satisfactory for my Indian clients. What more do I need?

Having said that, let me narrate one amusing incident. A Swiss German visitor was convinced that I had already been to his country. When I apprised him of my circumstances, he was amazed and remarked that I was speaking German with Swiss accent!

Regards,
N.Raghavan

RobinB wrote:
I understand that you don't need a passport to travel around India, which is after all a very large country. It's a bit like those Murricans, I suppose, who've never been outside their home state (even if that's Rhode Island).

What's surprising is that as a translator, you don't evidently don't travel regularly to the country/countries of your source language(s). I appreciate that there's a financial commitment involved there, but surely you've been to Germany, France and Italy (according to your profile)? After all, it's standard practice for translators to have spent some time in the SL countries, and normally a period of residence there is now regarded as an important element of a translator's education.
Robin
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Bilingual passports etc. Oct 8, 2004

RobinB wrote:

Irish passports are bilingual?

So are Scottish ones.

But seriously, how often have you had to show your passport to German officials, other than at airports?

When I regularly used to hitch-hike around Germany as a student in the 1980s, I would say, in all seriousness, every other day. It was sufficient to be standing, perfectly legally, on a German motorway car park next to a rucksack for a police officer to demand ID. In those days of course international terrorists travelled by hitch-hiking rather than by Jumbo.

Marc

[Edited at 2004-10-08 12:18]

Alarch Gwyn
Alarch Gwyn  Identity Verified
German to English
EC law Oct 8, 2004

You should note that certain parts of EC law have direct horizontal effect whereas other parts merely have direct vertical effect. Horizontal effect means that the relevant law cannot be enforced between individuals (which includes private companies) unless it has been implemented by national governments (e.g. Directives). (However the state may, in certain circumstances, be liable for damages on grounds of non-implementation.) Vertical effect means that the law is effective between the individu... See more
You should note that certain parts of EC law have direct horizontal effect whereas other parts merely have direct vertical effect. Horizontal effect means that the relevant law cannot be enforced between individuals (which includes private companies) unless it has been implemented by national governments (e.g. Directives). (However the state may, in certain circumstances, be liable for damages on grounds of non-implementation.) Vertical effect means that the law is effective between the individual and the state (which includes Beamten) regardless of whether national governments have implemented or not. EC law always has precedence over national law.

Even where EC law has no horizontal effect, there may be ways and means, quite apart from the question of state liability for failure to implement.

Under the Treaty there must be no discrimination whatsoever on grounds of nationality (the Treaty is both horizontally and vertically effective).

Anne
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:53
German to English
+ ...
A few do let us in Oct 8, 2004

RobinB wrote:

I *think* it doesn't actually apply to our poor neighbours in the East - and no, I don't mean eastern Germany.

If you remember, there was all that fuss about western Europe being overrun by hordes of entrepreneurial, hard-working, competitive Balts and Eastern Europeans, so most, of not all, of the original EU-15 introduced some sort of restrictions. Maybe it's on that website I referred to in one of the earlier posts in this thread. Or you could always wade your way through the Zuwanderungsgesetz, I suppose.

I figured as much. I think the Irish do let us in, though. They might be the only ones.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EU residence permits to be abolished in Germany

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »