Comments, Questions on ATA Pre-Exam and Translating Refs.
论题张贴者: Dave Montcalm
Dave Montcalm
Dave Montcalm  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:49
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
Aug 12, 2004

Here is a letter I sent to the Florida ATA to find out about the pre-exam workshop and to find out about a book I'm considering to buy, Trados, more. All comments are welcomed!

-----------------

Dear ATAFL,

I am very excited to communicate with the ATA, in particular, regarding certification. I have a few questions. I would really appreciate any suggestions you may offer to help me get the most out of the pre-exam workshop and to fuel my hopes of meeting ot
... See more
Here is a letter I sent to the Florida ATA to find out about the pre-exam workshop and to find out about a book I'm considering to buy, Trados, more. All comments are welcomed!

-----------------

Dear ATAFL,

I am very excited to communicate with the ATA, in particular, regarding certification. I have a few questions. I would really appreciate any suggestions you may offer to help me get the most out of the pre-exam workshop and to fuel my hopes of meeting others in the field of translation there in Miami too.

Here are my questions...

This book: http://www.schreiberpublishing.com/Schreiber/SPub2004.nsf/3a29f908ca6959b3852568ce007f7246/1248aefe6daff30085256855004baf23!OpenDocument

...is one of many in the "Translator Self-Training" series by Screiberpublishing. At ~$70 (new) it's not cheap, but I'd really like to get it, because I haven't found another book quite like it, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that it has been used in preparing for the ATA cert. exam. Please tell me anything you may know about this book. Should I buy it?

Next, regarding the pre-exam workshop itself, how highly (on not so) is it recommended? As I've said, I'm really excited to go. My expectations are high. I wouldn't be so silly to suppose that a magic pill exists for passing the exam, but I should hope that the pre-exam workshop is a really, really good thing as preparation for passing the exam. Right? What can I expect? When I leave will I have a clear idea of what I need to do to prepare to pass the exam with a really high score? Any and all comments you may have on the workshop are welcomed!

What about Trados Freelance? The latest version (6.5) is a very expensive program, but will I not be taken seriously if I don't own it? That's OK if I have to own it, then so be it, but I can't afford to be excentric, frivolous, or whatever. I'm making the transition from Tech Writer (18 years experience with the biggest corps. in the USA and BA in same field) to translator. My first language pairs will be Spanish and Portuguese. I'm approaching this Tech-Writer-to-Translator transition with utmost conviction and seriousness, so I'll plop down the bucks for Trados Freelance if necessary, but that's the catch. It's necessary?

Last I'm planning to go the cheap route for now, just to get in the door at the pre-exam workshop, and pay the $60 fee for non-members. Later, of course I'll submit the $180 for ATA associate membership, but $60 is a much easier sell (to my wife) than $220 ($180 for membership + $40 for workshop fee). In the workshop do those who have sumitted the $220 get preferential treatment?

That’s all my questions. I hope to hear back from you ASAP!

Thanks,
-Dave

[Edited at 2004-08-13 12:39]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
波兰
Local time: 12:49
正式会员 (自2002)
English英语译成Russian俄语
+ ...

版主
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi etalent Aug 13, 2004

If you intended to send this message to ATA, then it is obviously a wrong place. Here, in the forums, you will only receive advice from other colleagues but not an answer from ATA.

Dave Montcalm
Dave Montcalm  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:49
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
主题发起人
Clarification Aug 13, 2004

Thanks for your reply. I sent the letter to the ATA first, but I thought it would be a good idea to post it here too. I'd like to get any comments I could from real-life translators on all this!

-Dave

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
波兰
Local time: 12:49
正式会员 (自2002)
English英语译成Russian俄语
+ ...

版主
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks for the clarification. Aug 13, 2004

Well, it's the right place then

I would ask you to click the 'edit' button below your posting and change the title of your posting as it is somewhat misleading. Please think up of a better one. Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comments, Questions on ATA Pre-Exam and Translating Refs.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »