Off topic: Screw you
Thread poster: Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Mar 11, 2022

NOTE: Sorry for not providing a link. I wasn't sure if it's going to break the soliciting rule.

expressisverbis
Serhan Elmacıoğlu
Joyce Silva
Kalinka Hristova
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 18:17
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks Novian Mar 11, 2022

Nice topic!

Some gestures used here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEzWKTYF4Xg

Kalinka Hristova
Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
@expressisverbis Mar 12, 2022

Thanks. This topic reminds me of an old classic.

I guess I'll just keep my hands in my pockets when I'm traveling abroad.

expressisverbis

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:17
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Re. the Italian cartoon Mar 12, 2022

The chin flick really means 'I couldn't care less/don't give a damn' in Italian. Not much used these days, though.
For your 'screw-you collection', you may replace that with l'ombrello (the umbrella), as described in the following CNN (oh, yes!) link, https://tinyurl.com/mr26ktxy , as more in-line with your gallery.

Edited to add,
Novian Cahyadi wrote:
I guess I'll just keep my hands in my pockets when I'm traveling abroad.

A word of advice on how you keep your hands in your pockets, as that too might be considered a suspicious way of communicating. Remember that 'Is that a gun in you pocket, or are you just glad to see me?' joke (attributed to Mae Wast. More about this at this link, https://tinyurl.com/mr2jtm5r )!

[Edited at 2022-03-12 08:27 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
A classic Mar 12, 2022

Translation-specific:

http://mox.ingenierotraductor.com/

What rule are you talking about, Novian?

The name of the author is mentioned at the button: Malachi Ray Rempen. You should be fine.

Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Or this one Mar 12, 2022

dvfd

https://thelanguagenerds.com/2022/30-hilarious-comics-that-illustrate-the-differences-between-cultures-and-languages/?fbclid=IwAR2LJp6ELMNFDlzZBGYjpkBl3SYCarDTbvWI10as6vaLtPP-LVR9UXqbLAg

Culture is fun.

Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Susan Ruusunen

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
Replies Mar 12, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:

The chin flick really means 'I couldn't care less/don't give a damn' in Italian. Not much used these days, though.
For your 'screw-you collection', you may replace that with l'ombrello (the umbrella), as described in the following CNN (oh, yes!) link, https://tinyurl.com/mr26ktxy , as more in-line with your gallery.

Er, it's not my collection, actually. Though I admit I've been a fan of ITCHY FEET's comics for quite a while now. But thanks for the insider's knowledge.

I actually do a lot of ma guarda questo whenever I see someone shamelessly breaking the traffic rules. Very conspicuously, as I fully intend to insult them.

Mihai Badea wrote:

The name of the author is mentioned at the button: Malachi Ray Rempen. You should be fine.

Site rule #3.

And yes, I put the author's name myself because I couldn't post a link to the original page, as they accept donations. I wasn't sure if ProZ is okay with that.

P.L.F. Persio

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:17
English to Turkish
The No Gesture Mar 12, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:
https://tinyurl.com/mr26ktxy , as more in-line with your gallery.

I like the 'No' gesture, I think I'll adopt that one.

Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Rule no. 3 Mar 12, 2022

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Mihai Badea wrote:

Site rule #3.

And yes, I put the author's name myself because I couldn't post a link to the original page, as they accept donations. I wasn't sure if ProZ is okay with that.

If you have something to add to an old topic, indeed, you might want to make a new posting, unless the thread was locked.

But if the approach is totally new, and a number of years have passed since the initial thread, opening a new one might be regarded as acceptable.

It is always a good idea to put the author's name yourself because, obviously, you don't want to be accused of copyright infrigement.

Posting a link to a donation might not be in compliance with ProZ.com terms, even if there is no specific rule for that. Good decision.

Mr. Satan (X)

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
More Italian gestures Mar 12, 2022

Here are some more: https://youtu.be/xyJW1wAUbHA

It seems they are paired with facial expression for sentence/syntax “complexity”, like in sign language.

expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Tsk Mar 12, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:
I like the 'No' gesture, I think I'll adopt that one.

That's very Sicilian, so make sure you know who you use that with. Forewarned is forearmed, or as we say in Italian uomo avvisato, mezzo salvato.
Occhio! [/ˈɔk.kjo/] (Read and watch again the Italian gesture material to find what this one means.)

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Déjà vu Mar 14, 2022

Meanwhile, one of the most prolific contributors in the fora has once again decided to leave, discontinuing his latest membership (January 2022).

If you've seen Groundhog Day, you know the feeling.

Sorry for the OT message to the 'Screw You' thread.

[Edited at 2022-03-14 09:47 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Baran Keki
Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis
Adriana Sandru

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:17
English to Turkish
Again?? Mar 14, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Meanwhile, one of the most prolific contributors in the fora has once decided to leave, discontinuing his latest membership (January 2022).

If you've seen Groundhog Day, you know the feeling.

Sorry for the OT message to the 'Screw You' thread.

I thought he had (imaginary) friends in high places. He'll come back, paying another 150 USD for the privilege of contributing to the fora...

P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Adriana Sandru

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
LoL. Mar 14, 2022

It seems they delete their profile each month and then come back the following month. So they pay about 6 annual memberships per year, just to participate in the forum.

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Adriana Sandru

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Screw you

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »