David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 13, 2008

DVX Standard user here.

Is there a way I can import MS Publisher files? A quick look at Wikipedia's page on CAT suggests no CAT software supports them! Ideas, hints, and workarounds welcome.

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:25
English to Russian
Try saving the Publisher file as a MS Word/RTF file Oct 13, 2008

As far as I remember you can save a MS Publisher file (if you have the application on your computer) as a MS Word/RTF file which you can then import into DVX. You will probably lose most of the formatting on the way, but that's the only workaround I can think of. If you don't have the publisher, you may try downloading a trisl version from MS site. However, I am not sure they provide trial downloads.

[Edited at 2008-10-13 19:32]

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RTF works, but... Oct 13, 2008

Thanks for that hint. I do have Publisher (as part of Office 2003 suite on XP) and could save the text as an RTF document with no trouble. I had to reformat the RTF document to prevent a fatal error in DVX on import, though, which seemed to relate to an unrecognisable font (putting the whole document in a regular font seemed to do the trick).

However the end result is an unrecognisable mess. I don't think I really want this particular job anyway at this point, but other suggestions/
... See more
Thanks for that hint. I do have Publisher (as part of Office 2003 suite on XP) and could save the text as an RTF document with no trouble. I had to reformat the RTF document to prevent a fatal error in DVX on import, though, which seemed to relate to an unrecognisable font (putting the whole document in a regular font seemed to do the trick).

However the end result is an unrecognisable mess. I don't think I really want this particular job anyway at this point, but other suggestions/workarounds/experiences are still welcome!
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:25
English to Turkish
+ ...
through html Oct 13, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/108572-trados_tageditor_82:_ms_publisher_pub_files.html

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HTML is definitely better... Oct 14, 2008

Thanks for that tip. I saved the .pub document as a web page (.htm), imported and exported it to and from DVX and opened it with Publisher. As you say, it then needs saving as a .pub document to look right. The only enduring problem I have right now is that the bottom of the page stretches off almost to infinity.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX and MS Publisher (or not)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »