Spectre and Meltdown & Multiterm?
Thread poster: Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
Italian to English
Mar 24, 2018

I am using Studio 2017. Some time ago there was a Windows Update and since them my Multiterm usage on the fly with Trados has become IMPOSSIBLY slow, particularly for my longer termbases. I thought there might be something to do with my computer so I took it into the shop but it was working fine. I have an SSD hard disk and things used to just fly. The technician in the shop (who is not just the latest kid by a man with quite some experience) asked me if there might be some problem with Spectre ... See more
I am using Studio 2017. Some time ago there was a Windows Update and since them my Multiterm usage on the fly with Trados has become IMPOSSIBLY slow, particularly for my longer termbases. I thought there might be something to do with my computer so I took it into the shop but it was working fine. I have an SSD hard disk and things used to just fly. The technician in the shop (who is not just the latest kid by a man with quite some experience) asked me if there might be some problem with Spectre and Meltdown as the last update to Windows tried a software patch to a hardware problem to avoid these back doors.He said that this has affected many professional programs.

I was wondering if this is part of the reaosn for my Multiterm problems. I like the new one-click way of adding but it really has become impossibly slow. And it is something I rely on a great deal. I do a lot of pharma translations and every time I encounter a new drug or chemical compound I save it to Multiterm so I never make another spellign mistake. But now, I could have done 2-3 segments if I didn't have to wait so long for the hits to appear. And I don't want to go back to an older version because I like a lot of the new features.

Any ideas

P.S. I logged this on and an SDL tech guy tried to work on it in my computer but was not able to resolve the problem.

Any ideas would be of great interest (also to my computer technician who would like to know your takes on the Spectre-Meltdown question)

Eileen
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 11:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
From what I've read Mar 25, 2018

It seems that the Spectre/Meltdown patch has some performance impact on storage performance, especially with the fastest SSDs. So there is a possibility that it may be relevant.

With that said, I would not expect the performance impact to render something unusable - I understand that the worst-case scenario is about a 10% reduction performance, and Trados/Multiterm shouldn't be THAT taxing to begin with.

[Edited at 2018-03-25 14:20 GMT]

Eileen Cartoon
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I must admit Mar 25, 2018

that I don't see the problem except with my largest termbases, particularly one that has over 5000 terms. And I use multiple termbases at once so this may also affect the question.

I'll keep you posted if I learn anything more.

Eileen

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:29
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
probably due to buggy MulTiterm/Studio Mar 26, 2018

I doubt it's due to Spectre/Meltdown. I would sooner point the finger at MultiTerm. From my experience, SDL Studio and MultiTerm are an absolute bugfest. Always have been. Nothing ever works properly in my Studio or MultiTerm, and I am usually surprised when they do work for a few days without doing all kinds of strange and unexpected things. That's why I use Memsource or CafeTran these days.

Michael

PS: 5000 entries is very, very small, and ought to work just fi
... See more
I doubt it's due to Spectre/Meltdown. I would sooner point the finger at MultiTerm. From my experience, SDL Studio and MultiTerm are an absolute bugfest. Always have been. Nothing ever works properly in my Studio or MultiTerm, and I am usually surprised when they do work for a few days without doing all kinds of strange and unexpected things. That's why I use Memsource or CafeTran these days.

Michael

PS: 5000 entries is very, very small, and ought to work just fine. My main termbase currently has around 400,000 entries.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
elimination method Mar 26, 2018

I agree with Michael--it's not the case--even a much slower config/specs has no issues with some 10K + 125K + 415K glossaries simultaneously.

1) Disconnect from the Internet, unload all not relevant apps including Antivirus and start a Trados project with and without the suspect to make sure (some diacritics and wildcards may go wrong);
2) Use Task manager to assess the limits/extremes (including the swapfile);
3) Check the System events log for errs (mind
... See more
I agree with Michael--it's not the case--even a much slower config/specs has no issues with some 10K + 125K + 415K glossaries simultaneously.

1) Disconnect from the Internet, unload all not relevant apps including Antivirus and start a Trados project with and without the suspect to make sure (some diacritics and wildcards may go wrong);
2) Use Task manager to assess the limits/extremes (including the swapfile);
3) Check the System events log for errs (mind apps and services);
4) Check the partitions with the OS, Trados, and the swap;
and so on.

Cheers
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Apr 4, 2018

I will try some of your suggestions.

Anyway wanted to thank you all

Eileen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spectre and Meltdown & Multiterm?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »