Miguel Betanzos
Miguel Betanzos
Spain
Local time: 19:03
Arabic to Spanish
+ ...
May 31, 2014

Good day:

I am in need of some help figuring out what is the proper name that can be seen in the following picture:

Thank you very much

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 20:03
English to Arabic
+ ...
Here it is May 31, 2014

Ahmad Hamdi Ahmad

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 20:03
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
It's May 31, 2014

Hi Miguel,
It's Ahmad Hamdi Ahmad
أحمد حمدي أحمد

My best,

Miguel Betanzos
Miguel Betanzos
Spain
Arabic to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 31, 2014

And I was thinking the first letters were Kaf's, I see they are just alif-hamzas. Also have to keep in mind the no-dot yahs!
It is very clear now, but not before. Thank you very much! (Both of you)

Miguel Betanzos
Miguel Betanzos
Spain
Arabic to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In need of additional help with this May 31, 2014

Sorry about the insistence, I don't want to abuse your kindness, but I'm having further trouble with this handwritten characters...

I very much appreciate any help with this other texts. Thanks

Abdallah Ali
Abdallah Ali  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:03
English to Arabic
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Here you go! May 31, 2014

MiguelBetanzos wrote:

Sorry about the insistence, I don't want to abuse your kindness, but I'm having further trouble with this handwritten characters...

I very much appreciate any help with this other texts. Thanks

Hello,

First line: بكالوريوس, i.e. a bachelor's degree

Second:

ش محمد صبره

(6 Mohammed Sabrah Street)

Third: جواز سفر, i.e. passport

HTH

[Edited at 2014-05-31 11:40 GMT]

Miguel Betanzos
Miguel Betanzos
Spain
Arabic to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you really May 31, 2014

I am amazed at how easy it seems once it has been recognized by you.
Again, my most sincere thanks.

I found out this is خط الرقعة I have to study it

Abdallah Ali
Abdallah Ali  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:03
English to Arabic
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
بالتوفيق May 31, 2014

MiguelBetanzos wrote:

I am amazed at how easy it seems once it has been recognized by you.
Again, my most sincere thanks.

I found out this is خط الرقعة I have to study it

بالتوفيق إن شاء الله

Timothy Gregory
Timothy Gregory  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
Arabic to English
Book recommendation May 31, 2014

Miguel,

I recommend Writing Arabic: A Practical Introduction to to the Ruq'ah Script by T. F. Mitchell. It is an excellent resource for learning good penmanship, and can help you become more accustomed to handwriting so it is a little easier to see the shapes in these kinds of documents written in a more natural style

From the introduction:

This little book is intended prim... See more
Miguel,

I recommend Writing Arabic: A Practical Introduction to to the Ruq'ah Script by T. F. Mitchell. It is an excellent resource for learning good penmanship, and can help you become more accustomed to handwriting so it is a little easier to see the shapes in these kinds of documents written in a more natural style

From the introduction:

This little book is intended primarily to assist beginners. It is a curious fact that students of Arabic have in the past strangely neglected those elements of grammar without which there would be no grammar, viz. the letters. The infrequency with which one encounters European scholars having a knowledge of the Arabic script has often been observed, but we may go further and say that the number of those who write Arabic in an acceptable manner is remarkably small.

All the best!

Tim

(here is the Amazon link, but I am pretty sure I found my copy at a local bookstore for a bit less: http://goo.gl/DdHmsp)
Collapse

Miguel Betanzos
Miguel Betanzos
Spain
Arabic to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for recommendation May 31, 2014

Timothy, that book looks like a good investment. The thing is, that I am accustomed to the handwritten style you can find in Morocco or Tunis, an example of which could be the following:

I'd say its closer to standard computer fonts, but it's still problematic at some points.

I am quite proud of my Arabic
... See more
Timothy, that book looks like a good investment. The thing is, that I am accustomed to the handwritten style you can find in Morocco or Tunis, an example of which could be the following:

I'd say its closer to standard computer fonts, but it's still problematic at some points.

I am quite proud of my Arabic handwriting, and didn't like a single bit to be unable to understand the Ruq'ah, but I now I feel like this can be a nice field to research, moreso since I am interested in optical character recognition.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help deciphering handwritten script

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »