Eyeing expansion in the BRICs, eBay doubles down on machine learning and context translation

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Eyeing expansion in the BRICs, eBay doubles down on machine learning and context translation".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Peter Simon
Peter Simon  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A sign of admittance Mar 14, 2014

Yes, "rather than just more standard word-by-word translations" clearly admits that MT is just that ... and often the source of completely irrelevant and impossible 'translation' solutions. Means too that most of what a CAT tool can do to us is also no more than giving words, often highly irrelevant. I've just posted a couple of examples in my blog... See more
Yes, "rather than just more standard word-by-word translations" clearly admits that MT is just that ... and often the source of completely irrelevant and impossible 'translation' solutions. Means too that most of what a CAT tool can do to us is also no more than giving words, often highly irrelevant. I've just posted a couple of examples in my blog at http://learnenglishinnetherlands.com/2014/03/14/the-extent-translation-is-correct/ for example, because I am becoming more and more irritated by the quality of those tools as I begin to use them. They constantly prove my original aversion against them. Engines that 'learn' may prove a bit more useful, but that also depends on the time and the available 'experience' the tool may be exposed to. I don't think I'll see the day.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Eyeing expansion in the BRICs, eBay doubles down on machine learning and context translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »