Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53] >
Ten common myths about translation quality

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Ten common myths about translation quality".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:19
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Got it. Jul 31, 2013

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. But your comments about the migrant children who, as you said, can make up 90% in some of Germany's classrooms, implied to me that the language could be disintegrating to a point where we couldn't be sure anymore that all children graduating after 8 or 9 years of mandatory schooling are indeed native German speakers.

My "But it might be a bit exaggerated to say that you can't ..." was meant as something someone could take away from what's happening in Germany, not as something you said, 'cause you didn't. Just to clarify.

Bernhard

Thanks, Bernhard! Greetings!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Replies to a hidden post
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:19
Member (2004)
English to Italian
The fact... Jul 31, 2013

most people have what they call a native language or best language. They know very well which one it is. This the norm. Then a minority don't have one, as some people claim in this thread. My question is: why should the exception rule the norm?

I agree that not having one single native language is possible and therefore people should not be discriminated because of this. But most associations and even Proz don't. If you want to prove your point with agencies/clients, then get certi
... See more
most people have what they call a native language or best language. They know very well which one it is. This the norm. Then a minority don't have one, as some people claim in this thread. My question is: why should the exception rule the norm?

I agree that not having one single native language is possible and therefore people should not be discriminated because of this. But most associations and even Proz don't. If you want to prove your point with agencies/clients, then get certified/verified or join a professional association in your country.

The problem is we'll never agree on this, because it's impossible to argue with people who deny the very existence of native language and try and impose their view on the majority. In fact, I don't even know why we are actually talking about it.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
What makes you think that YOUR norms are THE norms? Jul 31, 2013

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I agree that not having one single native language is possible and therefore people should not be discriminated because of this. But most associations and even Proz don't. If you want to prove your point with agencies/clients, then get certified/verified or join a professional association in your country.

The problem is we'll never agree on this, because it's impossible to argue with people who deny the very existence of native language and try and impose their view on the majority. In fact, I don't even know why we are actually talking about it.

No one is imposing their views on you, we're just asking that you don't impose yours on us.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:49
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Unless you define it, the question of denial does not arise Jul 31, 2013

Giovanni, that is the whole issue. What is a native language for you? It won't have the same meaning for others. Bernhard clearly has an entirely different understanding of what a native language is. I have a different understanding. Lilian could have third view on this and so on.

So no one is denying the existence of a native langauge. We are simply calling different beasts native language. I wonder if you have heard the Sanskrit story of five blind men trying to describe an elephant. Our case is somewhat similar.

The concept of native language is ethereal, you cannot get a grip on it. You need to define it for your purpose. Which is why I say that we need to first define it, and that will end much of the differences that we see here.

The definition will have to be arbitrary given the various shades of meaning that this term has accumulated, but it will have to be a consensus one. I propose the following. Tell me whether it would work for proz.com's purposes:

a native language is one in which you have proficiency equal to that of educated native speakers of that language.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Most people have a native/best language... Jul 31, 2013

you can't dispute that.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
you are... Jul 31, 2013

Lincoln Hui wrote:

No one is imposing their views on you, we're just asking that you don't impose yours on us.

you want the exception to rule the norm... whatever you call it, most people have a dominant language. Are disputing this?

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
How do you know? Jul 31, 2013

Lincoln Hui wrote:

you want the exception to rule the norm... whatever you call it, most people have a dominant language. Are disputing this?

How many years have you lived in South Asia, for example? I don't even claim to know what the norm is in Chinese, so what do you know about this so-called "norm" that you speak of anywhere outside the very very small circle of European languages?

And I've said this: English narrowly edges Chinese, my mother tongue, as my dominant language. I don't necessarily dispute that most will have a best language, but as long as you are using the term "native" to define it, you are going to run into trouble because there are a lot of people who don't define "native" as "best language", a term that has its own issue; just because Agassi's best surface is hardcourts doesn't mean he couldn't win on grass.

For the record, I have never argued about ProZ's current policy. This issue was raised by mostly English native speakers who wish to change it so that it would be "fair", as all animals are equal.

[Edited at 2013-07-31 07:20 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
ok... Jul 31, 2013

Lincoln Hui wrote:

I don't necessarily dispute that most will have a best language, but as long as you are using the term "native" to define it, you are going to run into trouble because there are a lot of people who don't define "native" as "best language"

so, most people have a native/dominant/best language... call it what you like. What's your problem? The one below?

And this issue was raised by mostly English native speakers who wish to change it so that it would be "fair", as all animals are equal.

Change it into what? To be honest, pages have been written in this thread and I still don't understand what the problem is...

[Edited at 2013-07-31 07:28 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
Sometimes common sense is enough Jul 31, 2013

How many years have you lived in South Asia, for example? I don't even claim to know what the norm is in Chinese, so what do you know about this so-called "norm" that you speak of anywhere outside the very very small circle of European languages?

It's all very well asking for evidence and research, but sometimes common sense is enough.

Firstly, a misconception:
European languages are not a "very small circle". By number of speakers, they are easily the largest group in the world, but that's actually incidental, because we're really talking about the translation market here. And in terms of translation value, they dwarf any other group. Plus, like it or not, Europe and the US are the more advanced economies, and they are where standards get dreamed up. Standards arise out of many years of high quality practice. That experience isn't there in the non-European world.

Now, there are places where there is a disconnect between native and dominant. I do some work with a company from the Gulf, and they say that in some countries there, a lot of business and education is done in English. South Asia is another relevant example; so is South Africa. But most people are still educated in one of their native languages. Think of all the world's English, Spanish and Chinese speakers - the languages of instruction in English speaking, Spanish-speaking countries and the PRC and Taiwan are the same as the native language of the people who live there. And that's easily more than half the world's population. Add in Japan, Francophone countries, Germany... In terms of numbers, it's simple.

You're right that some people grow up in rather different linguistic environments, but as someone said above, translation is not a human right. If a person does not have a native language which they use excellently in professional contexts, they are probably not qualified to be a translator. That's not the end of the world. Nor does it mean that they can never translate. But we're language professionals. If a person doesn't have a massively strong language in which she "feels" both meaning and tone, then she isn't really going to be able to join our ranks.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Europe Jul 31, 2013

If a quick poll provides any indication, a shade under 70% of this site's users are in Europe: http://www.proz.com/polls/11473

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well said, Phil... Jul 31, 2013

Phil Hand wrote:

It's all very well asking for evidence and research, but sometimes common sense is enough.

Firstly, a misconception:
European languages are not a "very small circle". By number of speakers, they are easily the largest group in the world, but that's actually incidental, because we're really talking about the translation market here. And in terms of translation value, they dwarf any other group. Plus, like it or not, Europe and the US are the more advanced economies, and they are where standards get dreamed up. Standards arise out of many years of high quality practice. That experience isn't there in the non-European world.

Now, there are places where there is a disconnect between native and dominant. I do some work with a company from the Gulf, and they say that in some countries there, a lot of business and education is done in English. South Asia is another relevant example; so is South Africa. But most people are still educated in one of their native languages. Think of all the world's English, Spanish and Chinese speakers - the languages of instruction in English speaking, Spanish-speaking countries and the PRC and Taiwan are the same as the native language of the people who live there. And that's easily more than half the world's population. Add in Japan, Francophone countries, Germany... In terms of numbers, it's simple.

You're right that some people grow up in rather different linguistic environments, but as someone said above, translation is not a human right. If a person does not have a native language which they use excellently in professional contexts, they are probably not qualified to be a translator. That's not the end of the world. Nor does it mean that they can never translate. But we're language professionals. If a person doesn't have a massively strong language in which she "feels" both meaning and tone, then she isn't really going to be able to join our ranks.

I'd like to add that, as far as I know, nobody is denying people that feel they don't have a dominant language the right to translate in any direction. As Phil says, there are some restrictions imposed, but that it's necessary to manage the industry. There must be "rules", because commercial enterprises need a structure to maximise the workflow and their returns. This is the real world. Yes, it can be seen as unfair, but, as I said before, there are ways in which one's proficiency can be proved. I haven't seen anybody in this thread agreeing with me or take the necessary steps to actually prove what they are saying. And if you argue that the same can be applied to "native" speakers, then I agree and I recommend that any native speaker takes the necessary steps to prove that they are indeed professionals, and I'm not talking about a Proz certification...

Edited because my English sucks in the morning...

[Edited at 2013-07-31 08:26 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Wow Phil, that post has set this thread ON FIRE! Jul 31, 2013

It is burning with insight and energizes this discussion like blood rushing through my veins.
This nebulous, vague, like-a-ghost-in-the-dark misconception needs to be dispelled forthwith.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
If you want to return to the OP.. Jul 31, 2013

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
This is getting pointless. Going back to the OP, a most common myth about translation quality is that "hiring a native speaker of the target language represents fail-proof quality assurance".

A pervasive myth (on this thread) is that there are hordes of outsources who are so dumb and clueless that they believe hiring a native speaker represents fail-proof quality assurance.

I tend to agree with Henry when he said:

[when outsourcers hire native speakers]...
"native-ness" is not necessarily equated with quality; no relationship is drawn. Consider "nativeness" a requirement made *in additional to* quality (rather than in order to achieve it).

As in the mammoth thread - focus keeps being diverted to the exceptions, not the rule. There's nothing wrong with having exceptions, acknowledging it, accommodating for it, but there are people on this thread who want to re-design the world to suit the exceptions.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Jul 31, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

As in the mammoth thread - focus keeps being diverted to the exceptions, not the rule. There's nothing wrong with having exceptions, acknowledging it, accommodating for it, but there are people on this thread who want to re-design the world to suit the exceptions.

And they still haven't told us how they are going to do that, apart from telling the world that the concept of "native" language doesn't exist...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ten common myths about translation quality

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »