The last of the Aramaic speakers

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The last of the Aramaic speakers".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

alex suhoy
alex suhoy  Identity Verified
ウクライナ
Local time: 23:03
英語 から ロシア語
+ ...
Really brilliant. Jul 15, 2013

This was an absolutely fascinating article. Really brilliant. Thank you!

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 16:03
ロシア語 から 英語
+ ...
Yes, it is very interesting, however, Jul 15, 2013

This article is not really about the last speakers of Aramaic per se, but of one of the Aramaic languages. Aramaic is sometimes considered one language, but it is really a group of languages, including Syriac. There are still at least a few thousand of Aramaic speakers left, if not more, and it is spoken by some communities as their everyday language, not just a sacred language, in Syria, and perhaps some other places as well-- a different variety.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 21:03
ヘブライ語 から 英語
Even if it goes, it won't be completely gone Jul 15, 2013

It's unlikely all the various dialects will go extinct in the very near future, although I'm sure individual ones will. However, the geographical isolation of its speakers may actually work to its advantage, at least for a while longer.

Even if the worst case scenario occurs and all dialects go the way of the dodo, it will still live on in Modern Hebrew. The amount of texts I get which are littered with Aramaic words and expressions is not insignificant, so much so that I actually n
... See more
It's unlikely all the various dialects will go extinct in the very near future, although I'm sure individual ones will. However, the geographical isolation of its speakers may actually work to its advantage, at least for a while longer.

Even if the worst case scenario occurs and all dialects go the way of the dodo, it will still live on in Modern Hebrew. The amount of texts I get which are littered with Aramaic words and expressions is not insignificant, so much so that I actually need a rather healthy stock of Aramaic dictionaries at my disposal.

Aramaic also pervades everyday Hebrew (albeit usually in higher registers), not just the legalese I get.
Collapse

Simona Micutari
Simona Micutari  Identity Verified
スウェーデン
英語 から ルーマニア語
+ ...
Wow Jul 17, 2013

Quite an interesting article to read! I can't believe I didn't even know that Aramaic had so few speakers left!

Inge Luus
Inge Luus  Identity Verified
南アフリカ
Local time: 22:03
2008に入会
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
Interesting indeed! Jul 17, 2013

Very interesting article - maybe the Aramaic dialects have a chance of "surviving" like Latin.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The last of the Aramaic speakers

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »