Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
American teenager Timothy Doner teaches himself 23 languages

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "American teenager Timothy Doner teaches himself 23 languages".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Local time: 08:09
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Always a contentious topic! Apr 14, 2013

I'd like to see which languages he actually keeps practicing over the next 10 to 15 years, because those will be the ones in which he achieves meaningful proficiency. Because of his age, his interests and direction in life could change substantially, but if he can stick to approximately 4 or 5 main languages over the next 10 years and practice them regularly, I think he has a better chance of mastering them than most would. Having said that, this includes a high level of proficiency in reading a... See more
I'd like to see which languages he actually keeps practicing over the next 10 to 15 years, because those will be the ones in which he achieves meaningful proficiency. Because of his age, his interests and direction in life could change substantially, but if he can stick to approximately 4 or 5 main languages over the next 10 years and practice them regularly, I think he has a better chance of mastering them than most would. Having said that, this includes a high level of proficiency in reading and writing, which he seems to focus on very little at present. It will also be good for him to travel to countries where the languages are spoken, which he obviously hasn't done yet.Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:09
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I like smart teenagers who are eager to learn Apr 14, 2013

This young man is resourceful and intelligent. He might even be intelligent enough to realize that his various, yet rudimentary language skills might suffice to be a greeter at the airport or at an international conference, and that's it.

I hope he continues learning, no matter what his ambitions might be. We need more of those.

Forget about media - hats off to young people like him.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

American teenager Timothy Doner teaches himself 23 languages

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »