Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 16:15
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 17, 2006

Reason for the question: TWB started to misbehave (blows up on pressing F3 - concordance search) and I cant see anything else as a possible cause.

My Java version is 1.5 and I sort of remember 1.4 mentioned with the Trados update.

TiA

smo

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:15
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe, something with Trados itself? Nov 17, 2006

All code written for Java 1.4 runs with no problem on Java 5 (aka Java 1.5), and so far I've noticed no problem with Java 6 (aka Java 1.6) RC, moreover, Java 6 RC seems to have better performance (OOo starts quicker at least). I use Java extensively, but I don't use Trados much (preferring OmegaT), so, it may be some specific problem of Trados, unrevealed to me.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You need JRE 1.4.2_08 Nov 17, 2006

which is included in the Trados installation files.
Remember to have exactly THIS one, as other won´t work.
It is unlogical, but it is a fact - checked myself on my own machine. Maybe even the other do disturb, so at least says our colleague from Cracow, Wojciech Froelich.

You need exactly Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_08 and Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1.

Best regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-11-17 08:14]

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jerzy is right Nov 17, 2006

Hi all,

I've been in touch with Trados support about java issues, and they confirmed the exact same thing.

You have to uninstall all other versions, and make sure you install this particular build only. It can be downloaded
... See more
Hi all,

I've been in touch with Trados support about java issues, and they confirmed the exact same thing.

You have to uninstall all other versions, and make sure you install this particular build only. It can be downloaded here:
https://sdlc3d.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet;jsessionid=F6087A1D1D968E5CADB75FE2E12531C9
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/1.4.2_08/index.html

Earlier threads about this:
http://www.proz.com/topic/38065
http://www.proz.com/topic/53190

best,

Jan
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
09? Nov 17, 2006

Jan Sundström wrote:
Jerzy is right

Is there any way to check what the latest java update (_09) will do to the Trados behaviour?

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
You were close... Nov 17, 2006

from esperantisto: Maybe, something with Trados itself?

It's (of course) not Java, neither is it .NET 2. I reinstalled 7.5 and the problem persists, so (next usual suspect) it must be TM.

It's pretty hairy stuff - error in a long call to something - and I'm not doing anything special, just want to have my concordances. Without them I have to use brain, and this is sometimes difficult.

Will keep in touch.

regards

smo

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe some specific segment? Nov 17, 2006

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:

It's pretty hairy stuff - error in a long call to something - and I'm not doing anything special, just want to have my concordances. Without them I have to use brain, and this is sometimes difficult.

Hi, Vito,

Do you get error randomly or everytime you search for specific texts or keywords?

Since we upgraded to Trados 7 here we are getting some times crashes with the concordance.

When you get a crash, try searching again with the same text and see if you get the error in a consistent way (same searched text causes always the same error in the same TM).

In one case, I managed to isolate the offending translation unit, remove it from the TM and the problem disappeared.

I have just informed the Trados support about this issue.

It must be something new in Trados 7 because the same translation memory does not cause the crash with Trados 6.5 or Trados 5.5...

Daniel

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I suppose reorganisation of your TM is obvious? Nov 17, 2006

Or did you not reorganise it until now?
Should you, export, create new and import the old TM.
Shouldn´t you, than it is time to do so.

Best
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
some answers to threaders... Nov 17, 2006

Should you, export, create new and import the old TM.

Been there, done that - before I started the thread.

Do you get error randomly or everytime you search for specific texts or keywords?

My present mindset goes in this direction - I think it has to do with the (recreated, cleaned, created from new - no difference) TM I needed for the translation.

I'll keep you posted - because it can indicate a generic instability in TWB. btw:
When you get a crash, try searching again with the same text and see if you get the error in a consistent way (same searched text causes always the same error in the same TM).

what happens is TWB reports "previous search (or something of this sort) is still pending" iow the system is in a never/never land. It is repeatable and does not depend on the term searched for. afaik it happens always on the first call.

btw, thanks everybody for posting.

smo

PS: Im back to java 1.5 and will install dot net 2 - my gut feeling ia that the problem is orthogonal to those two issues.

[Edited at 2006-11-17 20:16]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You might be interested in the fact... Nov 18, 2006

that in SDL Trados Support Database I found yesterday, when randomly seeking for a solution to another problem (I did not find it there, so I found one myself), an article, describing possible problems connected with .NET Framework.
You may find this article here.

I did not test it myself for now, but this might also help.
Doing a remote diagnostics on your PC, having only a smal part of information about it available, is however a very hard job. Even people with much more experience that myself are not able to do that - so happens to me, when I need support. A PC is a very complicated organismus, where so much factors influence its behaviour... So not easy to tell.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Progress report - and thanks, Jerzy! Nov 19, 2006

....You may find this article here.

When I clicked the URL, the SDL server "encountered an internal error". Am I already recognized as a bad influence at SDL (G)?

Anyhow I have not experienced the symptoms describe3d above for the last 24+ hours, not one single moment.That applies to the subject TM (!) as well as to all kinds of biggies I had to use on current projects.

I am not saying anything, but assume a possible cause or two...

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-11-19 19:53]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Obvoiusly the link contains a sessin ID or something similar Nov 19, 2006

so please go to SDL Support Centre and look for an article with the ID 1734 named "Updating Microsoft .NET Framework to Troubleshoot Issues in SDL Trados".
I did not do this myself so far, but I´m planning to do so a little bit later.

Kind regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-11-19 20:14]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Problem successfully solved - and it was not Java Nov 25, 2006

I followed Jerzy's advice, found the link and did what it suggested: I cleaned my environment of all the .NET installations (1.1, German pack for 1.1 and 2.0 Version), booted and installed 2.0 (!) version.

That was a week ago, and I had no problems since.

Regards

smo

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Not sure about Workbench Nov 25, 2006

I'm not sure about Workbench (it doesn't look like a Java-dependent application), but wrong Java version may kill your Multiterm installation and definitely will kill your Multiterm Extract installation (I was not even able to start Extract with wrong Java version).

HTH,
Wojciech

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
There's more ways than just Java to screw it up Nov 25, 2006

I'm not sure about Workbench (it doesn't look like a Java-dependent application), but wrong Java version may kill your Multiterm installation

TWB can be used with MultiTerm (Actually it should, otherwise the user is not getting his or her money's worth out if it) So TWB does get hit, if there's a problem with Java. Of course in my case it was a long shot from a malfunctioning concordance to MultiTerm to Java. But who said I am not allowed to grasp for straws (sg)...

To repeat: in my case malfunctions persisted even after I scrolled back to 1.4.02. This time it was dot net - see above.

[Edited at 2006-11-25 19:08]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Java version with 7.5.0.256?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »