Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 07:15
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Oct 3, 2006

Dear All,
I've been through the archives here on proz as well as visiting the Trados Search Knowledge Base, to no avail.
I am translating a hundred page document and keep getting the same error:
352550216: invalid rtf format

I have tried suggestions from previous posts here at proz:
"Save as an rtf, close the doc, open the rtf and then save as .doc."

This gets me through one line, then the error pops up once again. A little annoying...
I am
... See more
Dear All,
I've been through the archives here on proz as well as visiting the Trados Search Knowledge Base, to no avail.
I am translating a hundred page document and keep getting the same error:
352550216: invalid rtf format

I have tried suggestions from previous posts here at proz:
"Save as an rtf, close the doc, open the rtf and then save as .doc."

This gets me through one line, then the error pops up once again. A little annoying...
I am using:
Translator's Workbench, Version 7.0
Microsoft Word 2002
on a Windows 2000 machine.

The source is Japanese, translating into English.
Any help anyone can give me on this would be greatly appreciated!
PS
I'm pretty sure I'm in the right forum for this, but if not apologies, and could you direct me to the correct forum please?
Thanks to you all!
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:15
Dutch to English
+ ...
Trados unable to cope Oct 3, 2006

Hi Owen,

It sounds as if Trados and Word can just not cope. I have received a similar message in the past when dealing with very large files. If I rebooted the system, everything worked fine for a while again and then the errors came up again. I tend to save multiple copies of my work (just in case) and regularly reboot.

You could also make a txt file of your document and next a doc or rtf file and translate that. This will mean that all the formatting and pictures are
... See more
Hi Owen,

It sounds as if Trados and Word can just not cope. I have received a similar message in the past when dealing with very large files. If I rebooted the system, everything worked fine for a while again and then the errors came up again. I tend to save multiple copies of my work (just in case) and regularly reboot.

You could also make a txt file of your document and next a doc or rtf file and translate that. This will mean that all the formatting and pictures are gone, but you can run the original file through the memory when you have finished translating.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Marijke
Collapse

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll give that a try! Oct 4, 2006

Dear Marijke,

Thanks very much for the advice! Rebooting did help yesterday, but only for a short time. So I switched to a Japanese XP environment and that seems to be holding (touch wood!).

Thanks for the .txt file idea though, I hadn't thought of that, so that may be the way to go in the future.
Thanks once again!
All the best
Owen

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did you try Open and Repair from MS Word? Oct 5, 2006

Hi,

I sometimes got rid of this error by using the Open and Repair function in MS Word and saving the file after letting Word repair the document.

I hope this helps!

Daniel

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll give that a try... Oct 5, 2006

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for the tip, Im not really sure what the problem is with this. Microsoft gave the file a clean bill of health but the error keeps popping up. The only thing that works is rebooting. It's not happening too much now though! Which is a relief...
Thanks again!

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
.txt ... hm... Oct 6, 2006

if you mix Kanji / katagana or whatever with english letters, then the material must be in unicode - I dont see any other way around. I'd assume this goes without saying but I thought it's still worth mentioning.

And it must be clear to Word and the environment that the text is - or has parts - in English and Japanese. I do not have any experience as drastic as yours - but I do remember times when I stupidly indicated that the whole file is in English and then had to look
... See more
if you mix Kanji / katagana or whatever with english letters, then the material must be in unicode - I dont see any other way around. I'd assume this goes without saying but I thought it's still worth mentioning.

And it must be clear to Word and the environment that the text is - or has parts - in English and Japanese. I do not have any experience as drastic as yours - but I do remember times when I stupidly indicated that the whole file is in English and then had to look at the spellchecker tearing up the Slovenian or Gerrman text. Which is rather inocuous compared to having to boot.

And switching to Japanese environment - incl office -may be a way around it...

one more hint: what about using TagEditor? You circumnavigate the Word...

Regards

smo
Collapse

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tag Editor! Oct 11, 2006

Dear Smo,
Thanks very much for the advice. I had the file in unicode, but I hadn't thought of ditching word and going straight for Tag Editor (kicks himself!) very good idea, I'll know next time...
Thanks again!
All the best
Owen

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same problem here Nov 25, 2006

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:

one more hint: what about using TagEditor? You circumnavigate the Word...

Regards

smo

Hi everyone,

I've been having the same proble all day and it's starting to get to me...

If I switch to tag editor, will I still be able to use the same TM I've been using so far?? (I have Trados 6.5)

And, how do I do it???

All and any help will be really appreciated

Andrea

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
How to switch to tag editor Nov 26, 2006

If I switch to tag editor, will I still be able to use the same TM I've been using so far?? (I have Trados 6.5)

In 7.x you simply open the RTF file in TagEditor. I would assume it should work in 6.5 as well, RTF being "mother of them all" tagged file formats. And of course, yes, TM is available.

Let us know, if it worked.

smo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados error 352550216: invalid rtf format

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »