Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:35
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jan 25, 2013

Dear colleagues,

This is completely unrelated to translation business but I was wondering if anybody could help me with a bit of information.

On my last trip to Portugal I bought a large collection of Portuguese Dolce Gusto coffee pods which taste like proper coffee (in ' my' part of Portugal they are called bica), not the crap they sell in the UK and call ' espresso'. I would like to get my step-daughter to send me some more but postal charges are quite high for anyth
... See more
Dear colleagues,

This is completely unrelated to translation business but I was wondering if anybody could help me with a bit of information.

On my last trip to Portugal I bought a large collection of Portuguese Dolce Gusto coffee pods which taste like proper coffee (in ' my' part of Portugal they are called bica), not the crap they sell in the UK and call ' espresso'. I would like to get my step-daughter to send me some more but postal charges are quite high for anything over 2kg and my parcel ideally would weigh a lot more than 2 kilos. My Portuguese is a bit limited in as much as I can read and understand quite a lot and can get by in Portugal without resorting to English but it is not enough to search information online about alternative postal methods out of Portugal. Everything I have found in English is related to courier services from the UK to Portugal, not the other way round. Unfortunately, I cannot ask my step-daughter to look into this as she is not online, has a toddler and is expecting the second baby so asking her to post the coffee will be the most work I can expect her to do right now.

Can anybody recommend an alternative parcel service that would suit my needs? For example, here in the UK, I can post up to 30kg to Portugal for £30. I would appreciate any information, even if you can confirm that such a service is not possible - at least I would know where I stand.

Thanks in advance!
Ines
Collapse

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Seur, etc Jan 25, 2013

Hi Ines,

Have you searched Seur, TNT, other than UPS and DHL? I have used them in the past, although I can't remember how much I paid - it was a long time ago...

About the Dolce Gusto: don't they sell the same variants in the UK as in Portugal? Alternativelly, can you get either Nespresso or DeltaQ (not sure if DeltaQ is sold outside Portugal, though

Good luck for your daughter!

... See more
Hi Ines,

Have you searched Seur, TNT, other than UPS and DHL? I have used them in the past, although I can't remember how much I paid - it was a long time ago...

About the Dolce Gusto: don't they sell the same variants in the UK as in Portugal? Alternativelly, can you get either Nespresso or DeltaQ (not sure if DeltaQ is sold outside Portugal, though

José
Collapse

jalmeidajumbo
jalmeidajumbo
English to Portuguese
Courier Services in Portugal Jan 25, 2013

Hello,
I sent already a package of around 12 to 18 kg to Holland from Portugal and it can get to Euro 60 - not good !

Checking the Post Oficce web page I see that packages from 1 to 2 kg cost Euro 12.75 for international shipment !

( use my email if you need further help .... [email protected] )

Regards.

Ligia Dias Costa
Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Jan 25, 2013

Now, that my brother in law is in Poland, I am a frequent client of Staples (www.staples.pt) and their expedition service in partnership with GLS (http://www.gls-group.eu/276-I-PORTAL-WEB/content/GLS/PT02/PT/1.htm). You can see their price... See more
Now, that my brother in law is in Poland, I am a frequent client of Staples (www.staples.pt) and their expedition service in partnership with GLS (http://www.gls-group.eu/276-I-PORTAL-WEB/content/GLS/PT02/PT/1.htm). You can see their prices here: http://www.gls-group.eu/276-I-PORTAL-WEB/content/GLS/PT02/PT/520004_-parcel-shop-precos.htm.

You just go into a Stapes shop and send what you need.

I hope this works for you!

Ligia
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What about this? Jan 25, 2013

https://www.dolce-gusto.co.uk/EN/shop/Pages/flavours.aspx

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Jan 25, 2013

They don't sell Sical and Buondi varieties which is what I am after. The Dolce Gusto Portuguese online shop does not post abroad so I cannot buy them here.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ligia! Jan 25, 2013

Ligia Dias Costa wrote:

Now, that my brother in law is in Poland, I am a frequent client of Staples (www.staples.pt) and their expedition service in partnership with GLS (http://www.gls-group.eu/276-I-PORTAL-WEB/content/GLS/PT02/PT/1.htm). You can see their prices here: http://www.gls-group.eu/276-I-PORTAL-WEB/content/GLS/PT02/PT/520004_-parcel-shop-precos.htm.

You just go into a Stapes shop and send what you need.

I hope this works for you!

Ligia

This is exactly what I need. It does not cost an arm and leg and there is one Staples store in Caldas da Raina next to where my step-daughter lives. Brilliant! Thanks a lot!

Ligia Dias Costa
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Glad... Jan 25, 2013

I could help. And it works. I have been using them for about two years to send things over to Poland.

Have a great weekend!

Lígia

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very expensive Jan 25, 2013

Jose Ruivo wrote:

Hi Ines,

José

I just checked Seur - EUR 400 to post up to 20kg, for TNT you have to know your postal code to get a quote and I can never remember that one and UPS and DHL are also expensive. But Ligia has suggested a really good option.

Nespresso would not be a bad idea but I already have a Dolce Gusto coffee maker and I actually rather enjoy their milky varieties which are not offered by Nespresso. But to be honest, what is sold in the UK as espresso is so far off the real taste that I would not want to try it again (I tried all Dolce Gusto espresso varieties and was very disappointed). I am more into continental tastes, so I consume a lot of coffee, chocolate and pastries (I would sell my soul for pastel de nata right now) whenever I am on visiting other European countries.

Ligia Dias Costa
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I could send you some Jan 25, 2013

pasteis de nata

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They are great, arent' they? Jan 25, 2013

Ligia Dias Costa wrote:

pasteis de nata

Actually, that's an idea. I will ask my step-daughter to chuck in some with the coffee. They will not be fresh but they might just survive. Alternatively, I will have to wait till August when I go back to Portugal again. We always drive there so the first thing we do when we cross the Spanish border into Portugal, is find a cafe and have real coffee and pasteis de nata. Yum! And the best thing - my kids don't like them so I do not have to share!

Ligia Dias Costa
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
One Jan 25, 2013

Just had one with my coffee!

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 25, 2013

jalmeidajumbo wrote:

Hello,
I sent already a package of around 12 to 18 kg to Holland from Portugal and it can get to Euro 60 - not good !

Checking the Post Oficce web page I see that packages from 1 to 2 kg cost Euro 12.75 for international shipment !

( use my email if you need further help .... [email protected] )

Regards.

I managed to find the Post Office website first so that is why I wanted to find out about alternative methods. I would not fit that much into a 2 kilo package. Ligia's suggestion sounds very good because it is just under EUR 40 for a package of up to 20kg - imagine how much coffee that can carry!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about courier services from Portugal

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »