conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2007

Hello all.

Right now I am using Microsoft Outlook/Windows XP.

But I don't really like Microsoft Outlook... sometimes it just doesn't process right, and I end up waiting a long time to receive messages, or I have to wait around because it doesn't want to send the e-mails in the Outbox right away, etc.

Another really annoying thing is this: I have my own domain name for my business, which means that in Outlook, my POP3 (incoming e-mail) is the server from
... See more
Hello all.

Right now I am using Microsoft Outlook/Windows XP.

But I don't really like Microsoft Outlook... sometimes it just doesn't process right, and I end up waiting a long time to receive messages, or I have to wait around because it doesn't want to send the e-mails in the Outbox right away, etc.

Another really annoying thing is this: I have my own domain name for my business, which means that in Outlook, my POP3 (incoming e-mail) is the server from my domain name, and my SMTP (outgoing e-mail) is the server from my ISP. And I don't know if it's because of this or not, but MS Outlook is constantly putting up a box on the screen every few minutes, asking me to verify a password. And that is super-annoying and disruptive of work, to the point that I keep e-mail off when I am trying to concentrate on translation, which isn't really good, because it means I won't receive e-mails right away.

Anyway, the point of all this is to ask a couple of questions:

1. Those of you who are using MS Outlook 2007, have these issues been fixed since it's a newer version?

2. I am considering possibly getting a different e-mail client and scrapping Outlook altogether. But I don't have any experience with any other e-mail clients, so I don't know what is good and what is not. So please let me know if you have any good e-mail clients. (These need to be e-mail programs installed on my computer, not web-based interfaces, because web-based things do not support Japanese in a lot of cases.)

Thanks!
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thunderbird Nov 1, 2007

Dear Conejo,

Try Thunderbird, http://www.mozilla.org/products/
I`ve been using it for a couple of years without problems.
It´s great and it´s free.
Regards,
Marina

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:01
Japanese to English
Go Gmail!! Nov 2, 2007

conejo wrote:
So please let me know if you have any good e-mail clients. (These need to be e-mail programs installed on my computer, not web-based interfaces, because web-based things do not support Japanese in a lot of cases.)

If it absolutely *has* to be a static program on your computer, then I agree with Marina that Thunderbird is excellent. However, I have never had any encoding problems with gmail, and I think it's versatility is just about unbeatable. Definitely give it a try before you rule it out!
There was another recent thread in which many people felt the urge to gush affectionately about gmail, including yours truly ::blush:: I really recommend you give it a test drive...
HTH, Kathy

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:01
English to Indonesian
+ ...
gmail? Nov 2, 2007

KathyT wrote:

conejo wrote:
So please let me know if you have any good e-mail clients. (These need to be e-mail programs installed on my computer, not web-based interfaces, because web-based things do not support Japanese in a lot of cases.)

If it absolutely *has* to be a static program on your computer, then I agree with Marina that Thunderbird is excellent. However, I have never had any encoding problems with gmail, and I think it's versatility is just about unbeatable. Definitely give it a try before you rule it out!
There was another recent thread in which many people felt the urge to gush affectionately about gmail, including yours truly ::blush:: I really recommend you give it a test drive...
HTH, Kathy

is gmail an email client? just wondering whether i missed something...

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:01
Japanese to English
My point was.... Nov 2, 2007

Mulyadi Subali wrote:
is gmail an email client?

.......that gmail can replace clunky email clients, by configuring it so that your regular email is simply sent to your gmail account. Take the gmail tour to learn more.

Kathy @ thrilled not to have to rely on Outlook, ever!

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Spanish to French
+ ...
Another point for Thunderbird Nov 2, 2007

I have been using it for a while and I am quite happy with it.
Plus, you get the expandable Mozilla structure, namely, you have access to a bunch of plug-ins/extensions available to customize it.
One downside is the lack of a proper calender as the one you have in Outlook.
I haven't checked yet in the long extension list. Maybe there is something of the sort out there.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thunderbird or Eudora Nov 2, 2007

Anything but Outlook.

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:01
English to Spanish
Gmail can't replace email clients Nov 2, 2007

KathyT wrote:
.......that gmail can replace clunky email clients,

Gmail can't replace an email client.

I have 6GB of messages collected through many years and I can handle them very well using Evolution on Linux, but I can't upload them to Gmail. My messages are my archives and I can't work without them.

I would like to find an email client for Windows that I could use with Vista. I need to resort to webmail when I'm using Vista because nothing I tried so far, except Sylpheed, can handle my archives. The only drawback of Sylpheed is that I can't send messages formatted in HTML.

An email client for Windows and Linux that I could use with the same mailboxes with be great to have.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 20:01
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Depends on what you need it for Nov 2, 2007

I have a few IMAP accounts and I use:

Thunderbird (free) for "everyday work"
The Bat (paid) for archiving, backups, etc.
Mulberry (free) for cleaning up

If I only had POP3 accounts, I would use The Bat and would not look for more (but it has its drawbacks for IMAP).

Antonin

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What to consider... Nov 2, 2007

conejo wrote:
1. sometimes it just doesn't process right, and I end up waiting a long time to receive messages,

2. or I have to wait around because it doesn't want to send the e-mails in the Outbox right away,

3. I have my own domain name for my business, which means that in Outlook, my POP3 (incoming e-mail) is the server from my domain name, and my SMTP (outgoing e-mail) is the server from my ISP. And I don't know if it's because of this or not, but MS Outlook is constantly putting up a box on the screen every few minutes, asking me to verify a password.

I'm not using Outlook, but I have tried many, many e-mail clients and I can tell you that there is often no logic in such problems, and switching programs may or may not fix it.

As for your problems mentioned above:

1. Are you sure the problem is not with your mail server, and not with your mail client?

2. I'm sure there must be a right-click option somewhere, or a menu item "deliver now" or similar.

3. The fact that you have your own domain shouldn't have anything to do with Outlook asking you for a password. Is there an option to "remember" password (perhaps not on the dialog box but in the menus somewhere)?

2. I am considering possibly getting a different e-mail client and scrapping Outlook altogether. But I don't have any experience with any other e-mail clients, so I don't know what is good and what is not.

First, make a list of the features in Outlook that you really, really can't do without.

So please let me know if you have any good e-mail clients.

Outlook Express is probably best for you, for now. Try it out. Thunderbird has about the same set of features as Outlook Express (more limited than Outlook).

The big problem with mail clients is how easy it is to move to another client. Programs like iScribe and Courier are excellent, but it is a nightmare moving your data from them to another e-mail program if you have to. Thunderbird is nice also, but it can't import its own mail and it has very limited mail export capabilities. Luckily it uses standard MBOX files for mail, so you should be able to hack it fairly easily if you're a power user and if you know how to use Google.

By the way, the problem you're having with Outlook asking for a password all the time could have something to do with your mail server not accepting SMTP connections unless there is an existing POP3 connection (in other words, you must receive before you can send). There is an extension for this in Thunderbird (but you can only tell if this is your problem after you've tested it).

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:01
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I've moved to Mozila Thunderbird Nov 2, 2007

not so long ago after years with MS Outlook Express. Not that Thunderbird were strikingly superior to OE, but it offers quite an efficient spam filter. As for Japanese, I think, it'll be fine (Chinese spam in my box is displayed correctly )

Jean-Marc Tapernoux (X)
Jean-Marc Tapernoux (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to French
+ ...
Beware of Thunderbird hype !!! Nov 2, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
"The big problem with mail clients is how easy it is to move to another client. Programs like iScribe and Courier are excellent, but it is a nightmare moving your data from them to another e-mail program if you have to. Thunderbird is nice also, but it can't import its own mail and it has very limited mail export capabilities. Luckily it uses standard MBOX files for mail, so you should be able to hack it fairly easily if you're a power user and if you know how to use
... See more
Samuel Murray wrote:
"The big problem with mail clients is how easy it is to move to another client. Programs like iScribe and Courier are excellent, but it is a nightmare moving your data from them to another e-mail program if you have to. Thunderbird is nice also, but it can't import its own mail and it has very limited mail export capabilities. Luckily it uses standard MBOX files for mail, so you should be able to hack it fairly easily if you're a power user and if you know how to use Google."

Hacking Thunderbird is no mean task. Its folder structure is a real nightmare. I have been using Eudora for years. But it does not process Unicode characters correctly if the mail is sent in html format, so I get rubbish of the following kind

"Je remarque que tu conserves toujours beaucoup d'activités malgré ton statut de retraité.
Ta famille s'agrandit quant à la mienne, elle reste inchangé. La plus
grande fille va avoir 19 ans et elle n'a pas de fiancé officiel ( cette
année) .
Nous étions les 5 pour le réveillon de Noél car les "anciens" ne peuvent plus ou ne veulent plus se déplacer".

Caveat emptor, even for freeware!

[Edited at 2007-11-03 07:59]

[Edited at 2007-11-03 08:00]
Collapse

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:01
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Becky2! Nov 2, 2007

conejo wrote:
2. I am considering possibly getting a different e-mail client and scrapping Outlook altogether. But I don't have any experience with any other e-mail clients, so I don't know what is good and what is not. So please let me know if you have any good e-mail clients. (These need to be e-mail programs installed on my computer, not web-based interfaces, because web-based things do not support Japanese in a lot of cases.)
Thanks!

Completely Unicode, written by a Japanese genius, small but very powerful and flexible:

http://www.rimarts.co.jp/

Their web site is not impressive but Becky2! is. I have tried almost all Unicode-capable mailers available, but this is the one I always return to after trying competitive products.

It is not free, however.

Kind regards

Mario Cerutti
http://www.aliseo.com/english/

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:01
English to Slovak
+ ...
Thunderbird Nov 2, 2007

Definetelly Thunderbird.

conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Samuel Murray Nov 7, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

conejo wrote:
1. sometimes it just doesn't process right, and I end up waiting a long time to receive messages,

2. or I have to wait around because it doesn't want to send the e-mails in the Outbox right away,

3. I have my own domain name for my business, which means that in Outlook, my POP3 (incoming e-mail) is the server from my domain name, and my SMTP (outgoing e-mail) is the server from my ISP. And I don't know if it's because of this or not, but MS Outlook is constantly putting up a box on the screen every few minutes, asking me to verify a password.

As for your problems mentioned above:

1. Are you sure the problem is not with your mail server, and not with your mail client?

2. I'm sure there must be a right-click option somewhere, or a menu item "deliver now" or similar.

3. The fact that you have your own domain shouldn't have anything to do with Outlook asking you for a password. Is there an option to "remember" password (perhaps not on the dialog box but in the menus somewhere)?

1.Yes, I am sure it is Outlook, because I have changed mail servers while I was using Outlook, and the problem was always there, regardless of the mail server.

2. Even if I click Send/Receive now, it still won't send things sometimes, and I have to delete the draft email from the Outbox, close Outlook, wait a few seconds, open Outlook, and reconstruct an e-mail. Sometimes I have to do this process several times, which is a major hassle.

3. Yes, I already have it set to 'remember' the password. This box that always pops up, I researched it one time online, and it is a thing that many people complain of, something that ppl hate about Outlook...

Thanks for your comments.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best e-mail client?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »