conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:39
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Jean-Marc Tapernoux: Nov 7, 2007

Jean-Marc Tapernoux wrote:

Hacking Thunderbird is no mean task. Its folder structure is a real nightmare. I have been using Eudora for years. But it does not process Unicode characters correctly if the mail is sent in html format, so I get rubbish of the following kind

"Je remarque que tu conserves toujours beaucoup d'activités malgré ton statut de retraité.
Ta famille s'agrandit quant à la mienne, elle reste inchangé.
Caveat emptor, even for freeware!

Did you mean that Eudora does not process Unicode characters correctly, or Thunderbird doesn't?

conejo
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's try Thunderbird Nov 7, 2007

Hi, all. Per everyone's recommendations, I downloaded Thunderbird to give it a test drive. I was able to import my stuff easily from Outlook, and I've successfully been able to view, send, and receive messages in Japanese and English (without any add-ons yet), so I think it looks good so far. (Knock on wood.) I'll see how it goes. Thanks to everyone for your help!

conejo
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More on Thunderbird Nov 7, 2007

It seems like Thunderbird is pretty good. Although I've not been using it for very long, it seems like definitely a more intuitive program than Outlook, and it 'remembers' useful things. Japanese shows up fine, and everything seems to be copasetic. It didn't import my sent mail from Outlook, but that's OK; I can just keep Outlook in the computer just in case I need that for something. It seems like the problems I listed, 1, 2, and 3, have been solved. Thanks all!

TurboLingvo
TurboLingvo
United States
Local time: 13:39
Member (1970)
Any email client with Gmail capabilities? Oct 31, 2014

I am looking for an email client that would be capable of adding labels to messages and would do this based on the user-defined filters. Do you know any clients of this sort?

Thank you

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
A what now? Nov 3, 2014

I've never used Outlook, as I find it exasperating. In fact, I don't really know what an "email client" is.
I just use webmail for everything and it is easy to use, cheap or free and sufficient for my purposes. Maybe it's different if you're working with non-romance languages like Japanese...?

[Edited at 2014-11-03 07:33 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Beware Gmail! Nov 3, 2014

I normally use Thunderbird, and one thing I like about it is that I can access the mssage folders and move them around etc., which was a nightmare to try and do with Outlook Express I used to use.

However, for emergency backup use, I have had to fall back on Gmail, which has for me many drawbacks; in particular, it allows me to collect my e-mails from many different accounts, but if I want to leave copies of the messages on the server, to pick up later via my normal e-mail client, I
... See more
I normally use Thunderbird, and one thing I like about it is that I can access the mssage folders and move them around etc., which was a nightmare to try and do with Outlook Express I used to use.

However, for emergency backup use, I have had to fall back on Gmail, which has for me many drawbacks; in particular, it allows me to collect my e-mails from many different accounts, but if I want to leave copies of the messages on the server, to pick up later via my normal e-mail client, I don't have the option of deleting them from the original serever when I delete them on Gmail; this is a real pain: last time I went back to my 'normal' e-mail client, it took HOURS to download AL the backlog of messages, and then it took me WEEKS to go through them all and delete the vast majority that Gmail had not been able to delete for me. For the way I work, this is a very serious drawback.

However, a more worrying thing about Gmail is the way it 'reads' the content of your e-mails! I am concerned that this raises issues foir client confidentiality, since although they insist it is only computer analysis based on algorithms that detect keywords, and that no human actually reads them, I am still concerned that there is information circulating out there on the Internet about me and my clients that I don't know about; it also seems (fropm the evidence I have) that Gmail also 'reads' the contents of attachments.

I find this whole issue extremely worrying...
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Turbo Nov 3, 2014

TurboLingvo wrote:
I am looking for an e-mail client that would be capable of adding labels to messages and would do this based on the user-defined filters.

Can't all e-mail clients do this? I know Thunderbird can -- here's the list of actions available in the message filters:

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tony Nov 3, 2014

Tony M wrote:
Gmail allows me to collect my e-mails from many different accounts, but if I want to leave copies of the messages on the server, to pick up later via my normal e-mail client, I don't have the option of deleting them from the original serever when I delete them on Gmail...

It sounds as if you're saying that Gmail can access your other e-mail accounts and copy the e-mails from them into Gmail. I wasn't aware of that facility. How does one activate it? I also use Gmail to collect e-mails from various other servers, but that works by redirecting or forwarding the e-mails from those servers to Gmail (in other words, Gmail is simply a passive recipient of the e-mails and does not actively "go get" the mails from those servers).

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Gmail collecting mails from other accounts Nov 3, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:
It sounds as if you're saying that Gmail can access your other e-mail accounts and copy the e-mails from them into Gmail.

Yes, that's right; the only drawback is, it doesn't do it very frequently, so if I'm waiting for a message, I often have to go and 'prod' it!

It's under the 'cog' button ('Settings'), then 'Accounts and import', where you can set up any number of POP accounts you own, with avrious parameters. At this stage, you can opt to leave the messages on the original server or delete them; but what you CAN'T do is use the facility (that e.g. Thunderbird offers) is arrange it to leave the messages on the original server only UNTIL YOU DELETE THEM LOCALLY.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Definitely Thunderbird for me Nov 3, 2014

What I especially like about Thunderbird is the endless variety of add-ons that let you customize it as you wish. I have been using Thunderbird for years. Once in a while I think I should really be using Outlook because everyone else does (and also because it comes with my Office package), switch back to it for a short time, tear my hair out with one of Outlook's interminable problems and go back to Thunderbird.

I have 9 different email accounts spanning 5 different email servers
... See more
What I especially like about Thunderbird is the endless variety of add-ons that let you customize it as you wish. I have been using Thunderbird for years. Once in a while I think I should really be using Outlook because everyone else does (and also because it comes with my Office package), switch back to it for a short time, tear my hair out with one of Outlook's interminable problems and go back to Thunderbird.

I have 9 different email accounts spanning 5 different email servers and Thunderbird works with all of them seamlessly. I also use the Lightning add-on which gives excellent calendar and tasklist capabilities, synchronised over 4 computers and my BlackBerry.

What I especially like about Thunderbird over Outlook is that it's fast. When searching for something, for example, it seems to be multi-threaded. Searching is fast (I have 7 years of emails to search through sometimes) but also doesn't seem to interfere with the rest of the application - in other words you can keep doing other things with Thunderbird while it's searching.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Gmail reading emails Nov 3, 2014

Tony M wrote:

However, a more worrying thing about Gmail is the way it 'reads' the content of your e-mails!

Definitely true. Sometimes I may discuss some subject by email or send an attachment by email, which contains some particular subject and at some point includes a transit through Gmail. I can't help noticing that right away all my Google sponsored ads on various websites I visit are directly related to the subject of the email and nothing to do with the website. It's very clear that Google has read my mail, recognised me as the same person visiting some website with Google sponsored ads, and serves up a related ad, thinking I might be interested.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tony Nov 3, 2014

Tony M wrote:
At this stage, you can opt to leave the messages on the original server or delete them; but what you CAN'T do is use the facility (that e.g. Thunderbird offers) is arrange it to leave the messages on the original server only UNTIL YOU DELETE THEM LOCALLY.

It sounds to me like you want a web-based generic e-mail client.

I googled a bit but could not find any (except a few that require one to install the software on one's own web server). I found some browser-based generic e-mail clients, i.e. the GUI is the browser, but the mail is still downloaded to your own computer -- one that looks promising is MailPile.

Outlook.com has a similar service as Gmail.com with regard to importing mail from other servers, but as with Gmail, deleting a mail in Outlook.com does not delete it on the original server.

Some other webmail services also have the "import" function (e.g. inbox.lv) but again, the options are limited to just importing the mail.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
The answer on the original question,.... Nov 3, 2014

'What is the best e-mail mail client' = There is NONE, or that is to say....

As far as I see it, it is somehow the same question as 'What is the best food', or 'what is the most beautifull country in the world', in short: SUBJECTIVE!

Work it out yourself, which ever 'rocks your boat', is the perfect e-mail client for you!

[Edited at 2014-11-03 22:07 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best e-mail client?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »