Can I use a 2nd TM from another customer as reference only without it being updated?
Autor vlákna: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hongkong
Local time: 05:34
Člen (2009)
angličtina -> švédština
+ ...
May 3

Can I use a 2nd TM from another customer as reference only without it being updated?

Both this 2nd TM that I want to use as reference only without updating it and the 1st TM that is for the customer of my current project have the same subject area: Human resources/education. So it would be beneficial to use the 2nd TM as reference only to get hits from it without adding any new entries to it.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Španělsko
Člen (2005)
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
Just activate it! May 3

You only need to activate it for your project. If this TM you mean sits on another memoQ Server, you would need credentials in that memoQ Server, and you would need to be authorised to use the memory (e.g. you are assigned in a project that uses is) in order to be able to see it.

BIG CAVEAT: If you are translating some types of XLIFF files, most especially SDLXLIFF files, be careful when using an alien memory: memoQ will record information in the XLIFF file of what memory your reuse
... See more
You only need to activate it for your project. If this TM you mean sits on another memoQ Server, you would need credentials in that memoQ Server, and you would need to be authorised to use the memory (e.g. you are assigned in a project that uses is) in order to be able to see it.

BIG CAVEAT: If you are translating some types of XLIFF files, most especially SDLXLIFF files, be careful when using an alien memory: memoQ will record information in the XLIFF file of what memory your reused translations come from. You could end up having segments from an alien client identifiable in your translation...
Collapse

Dr. Matthias Schauen

Fredrik Pettersson
Hongkong
Člen (2009)
angličtina -> švédština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
This is a completely local project May 3

My project in question is completely local, no connections to any server. When I created this local project, I also created a new translation memory. Then I found out that I have translated similar contents but for another customer, so I want to add this 2nd translation memory as a reference translation memory only without it being updated with any new entries from my current project. Is that possible somehow? It was a long time since I used SDL Trados Studio now, but I think I can recall that i... See more
My project in question is completely local, no connections to any server. When I created this local project, I also created a new translation memory. Then I found out that I have translated similar contents but for another customer, so I want to add this 2nd translation memory as a reference translation memory only without it being updated with any new entries from my current project. Is that possible somehow? It was a long time since I used SDL Trados Studio now, but I think I can recall that it was easy to add a 2nd translation memory as reference only.Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 04:34
nizozemština -> angličtina
+ ...
Yes May 3

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

My project in question is completely local, no connections to any server. When I created this local project, I also created a new translation memory. Then I found out that I have translated similar contents but for another customer, so I want to add this 2nd translation memory as a reference translation memory only without it being updated with any new entries from my current project. Is that possible somehow? It was a long time since I used SDL Trados Studio now, but I think I can recall that it was easy to add a 2nd translation memory as reference only.

Yes, you can do that. Make the TM you want to update the Working and Master TM. Any further TMs won't be updated.

Stepan Konev

Fredrik Pettersson
Hongkong
Člen (2009)
angličtina -> švédština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Working/Master for the same TM worked fine May 3

Thanks Rachel, this made it easier to be able to use another TM as reference only without having to update it.

Rachel Waddington

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »