About Language Terminal
Thread poster: gonzalo_kilgray
gonzalo_kilgray
gonzalo_kilgray
Hungary
Local time: 05:57
Jan 21, 2016

Hi everyone,

Last December we at Kilgray Translation Technologies released a new version on Language Terminal. For those of you who don't know about it, Language Terminal is no-cost platform where you can manage your translations jobs.

If you have already tried language terminal, we are wondering which were the features you use? Which are you planning to use?

If you are have not tried Language Terminal yet,
... See more
Hi everyone,

Last December we at Kilgray Translation Technologies released a new version on Language Terminal. For those of you who don't know about it, Language Terminal is no-cost platform where you can manage your translations jobs.

If you have already tried language terminal, we are wondering which were the features you use? Which are you planning to use?

If you are have not tried Language Terminal yet, you can register for free here: www.languagterminal.com

Here you can read more about what you can do with Language Terminal: https://www.memoq.com/kilgray-blog/december-2015/new-version-of-language-terminal

Cheers,
Gonzalo Fernandez
Kilgray Translation Technologies
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:57
Danish to English
+ ...
What do I need it for? Jan 21, 2016

I have no idea what I need it for, and the "Learn more" links just lead to videos.

What do people actually use it for?

Why do you ask what translators need in this context when you don't give a damn when translators paying for licences ask you to fix MemoQ's broken html and xml filters that completely mess up the files' layout?

gonzalo_kilgray
gonzalo_kilgray
Hungary
TOPIC STARTER
RE: What do I need it for? Jan 22, 2016

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your feedback. The videos after the learn more links are short tutorials explaining users how take advantage of different LT features. We have actually prepared a series of 8 short videos that help users to get familiar with new Language Terminal’s layout and functionalities.

You can take a look at
... See more
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your feedback. The videos after the learn more links are short tutorials explaining users how take advantage of different LT features. We have actually prepared a series of 8 short videos that help users to get familiar with new Language Terminal’s layout and functionalities.

You can take a look at them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxtQiu8cAdg&list=PLB6oSH6AfH9OMgUGPyQYmNrUfC0sMv3Ov

Translators use Language Terminal for numerous things: Tracking their projects, accessing reporting stats regarding their jobs, sharing TMs, TBs and other resources and, converting INDD files to XLIFF.

As far as your concern, I have contacted support to make sure they are aware of your request.

Thanks again,

Gonzalo
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Various Jan 22, 2016

Hi Gonzalo,

Thanks for your comments.

"Translators use Language Terminal for numerous things: Tracking their projects, accessing reporting stats regarding their jobs, sharing TMs, TBs and other resources and, converting INDD files to XLIFF," you say. It's very general, and too general to make one decide whether it's worth looking into.

"8 short videos that help users to get familiar with new Language Terminal’s layout and functionalities," you continue, b
... See more
Hi Gonzalo,

Thanks for your comments.

"Translators use Language Terminal for numerous things: Tracking their projects, accessing reporting stats regarding their jobs, sharing TMs, TBs and other resources and, converting INDD files to XLIFF," you say. It's very general, and too general to make one decide whether it's worth looking into.

"8 short videos that help users to get familiar with new Language Terminal’s layout and functionalities," you continue, but before I have an idea if this might even be useful for me, I don't want to spend time getting familiar with its functions. It's like sending an owner's handbook to a potential car buyer who asks about a car's main features. And I don't like having to spend a lot of time watching videos just to get an idea what I can do with this. Videos can be good showing the ins and outs but not always to give a brief overview.

Oh, support is very well aware of my request. It has been discussed for months, but they outright refuse to fix it and don't even understand why it's a problem that MemoQ messes up the layout of these files. They had promised to escalate it and put me in touch with someone higher up the food chain, but that promise was never kept, and they just kept ignoring my reminders about it. At one point, they told me that several other users too had complained about this, but they still insist only their own view is correct, never mind what the users and file owners think about it, so the customer is always wrong. The whole experience has been a bit like Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch, so the term "The Dead Parrots" has become a nickname for MemoQ support in some of my informal communications with an important client - who thinks the same about your support.

When it's about more ordinary problems, your support is fine, but a complete rejection of even admitting that such a major problem is a problem is utterly unacceptable. It means I cannot offer translation of html or xml files without warning the client first that their files will be messed up by MemoQ, and then I usually don't hear from them again. Just great, isn't it?
Collapse

Sandor Papp
Sandor Papp
Hungary
German to Hungarian
RE: Various Jan 25, 2016

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Getting back to our conversation from last year, the issue you are referring to in memoQ was escalated to our head of production. Both our development and support teams were working on a solution to enable memoQ to manage HTML/XML files the way you want. Although they spent days to find a quick solution for this unique problem, they were not able to. According to my knowledge, no one else from our users (over 100k at th
... See more
Hello Thomas,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Getting back to our conversation from last year, the issue you are referring to in memoQ was escalated to our head of production. Both our development and support teams were working on a solution to enable memoQ to manage HTML/XML files the way you want. Although they spent days to find a quick solution for this unique problem, they were not able to. According to my knowledge, no one else from our users (over 100k at the moment) reported similar issues.

As we said, since it requires us to re-write the logic behind memoQ, we will not be able to fix it in the near future.

If you are not happy with the way the Kilgray teams handles your request, you can return your license, get the price of memoQ back, and purchase another tool.

Regarding comparing our services to the Dead Parrot sketch, there are many things that came to my mind. Among these, let me share the very first one: “ThanQ”

All best wishes,
Sandor
Collapse

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hello Gonzalo Jan 25, 2016

Looks like the actual address is www.languageterminal.com

gonzalo_kilgray
gonzalo_kilgray
Hungary
TOPIC STARTER
Actual URL Jan 25, 2016

Christophe Delaunay wrote:

Looks like the actual address is www.languageterminal.com

Yes, my apologies for the mistake. The URL is www.languageterminal.com

Cheers,

Gonzalo Fernandez
Kilgray Translation Technologies

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
MemoQ Jan 25, 2016

Sandor,

Thanks for your comments. In one of the communications with support, I was told others had complained, but it's hardly worth the time searching for that. Many outsourcers pass their text through other software before getting it translated.

Clearly, if a quick solution is not possible, then at least some information about what will be done, if anything, would be in order, and it is still not clear if this is expected to be fixed within a year or two.

... See more
Sandor,

Thanks for your comments. In one of the communications with support, I was told others had complained, but it's hardly worth the time searching for that. Many outsourcers pass their text through other software before getting it translated.

Clearly, if a quick solution is not possible, then at least some information about what will be done, if anything, would be in order, and it is still not clear if this is expected to be fixed within a year or two.

The reason for the comparison with that parrot sketch is that it has been a major problem to even make support understand why it is a problem to mess up the formatting/layout of such files, just like the parrot seller keeps denying the dead parrot is dead. Both denials are equally absurd. It's obvious one cannot return a Word file with all the headers changed to ordinary text, indents changed everywhere, lines arbitrarily merged etc., so why is it so difficult to understand that one shouldn't do that with html/xml files?

I was asked at a time if I had suggestions for how to handle this, and I had. But there was no reaction to my suggestions. So why ask?

It was claimed it was "impossible" not to ruin formatting, but other software can do it, so it's absurd to claim up front that it's impossible.

But if it's possible to get the licence money back, then it would be worth examining other CAT options, that is if you still don't know if html/xml will be fixed within a year or two. But I would rather have it fixed and wait for that than change CAT tool. I cannot promise html/xml handling to my clients and then return the mess MemoQ makes to the client; it would be extremely unprofessional, so I would have to waste hours cleaning up the formatting manually after Memoq has mangled it.

It's ok Kilgray has goofed in its design of this, but what is not ok is to keep denying the design is broken. So it takes take to fix. Fine. Approximately how long? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? Give us some concrete information, please. That has been lacking throughout this discussion, and that has caused a lot of frustration.

Regards
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Found it Jan 25, 2016

Sandor Papp wrote:

According to my knowledge, no one else from our users (over 100k at the moment) reported similar issues.

Gergely Vándor, Lifecycle Manager, wrote in ticket #ADC-653-41739, titled "Html tags modified to invalid syntax" on 11 August 2015 04:04 PM:

"I've been in arguments like this at least ten times"

This user had also complained about it before me, in March 2013:

"https://support.kilgray.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/358/0/exported-xml-does-not-look-identical-to-original-xml"

So now you know I'm not the only one to complain about this, one of the oldest tricks in the book to brush complaints aside.

Sandor Papp
Sandor Papp
Hungary
German to Hungarian
Re: Found it Jan 27, 2016

Hi Thomas,

Thank you. Let me refer back to my previous message where I started with 'according to my knowledge': I was not brushing complaints, but I told you what I heard from people from support and development. I was not aware of Gergő's comment - therefore, please ignore that part of my message (and sorry for the confusion caused).

Getting back to the original conversation, I'm not able to give you a concrete date for changing the logic behind HTML/XML files. To be
... See more
Hi Thomas,

Thank you. Let me refer back to my previous message where I started with 'according to my knowledge': I was not brushing complaints, but I told you what I heard from people from support and development. I was not aware of Gergő's comment - therefore, please ignore that part of my message (and sorry for the confusion caused).

Getting back to the original conversation, I'm not able to give you a concrete date for changing the logic behind HTML/XML files. To be more explicit, I don't think it will happen within the next 3 years.

As it was mentioned earlier, we don't want to take too much of your valued time using a solution which is not up to your needs; we can pay the license fee back, so that you can go on with another tool. Please just send a note to [email protected], and I'll arrange everything else with our finance dept.

Wish you all the best
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About Language Terminal

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »