Help with Excel filter options
Thread poster: J M A
J M A
J M A
Spain
Local time: 20:50
Dec 22, 2015

Hello!

I've been having some problems importing xls files on MemoQ.

I've imported the column translation and the column length without problems but I need to import more context and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Some information about my excel file:

A = order number
E = source
G = target (filled with the source text)
H = length
I = (not relevant)
J = comments
L = context
M = more context

... See more
Hello!

I've been having some problems importing xls files on MemoQ.

I've imported the column translation and the column length without problems but I need to import more context and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Some information about my excel file:

A = order number
E = source
G = target (filled with the source text)
H = length
I = (not relevant)
J = comments
L = context
M = more context

(There are some hidden columns)

I need to import the column G as translation, the column H as length and columns J, L and M as context and what I've done is:

Import with options > Change filter and configuration >

Importable ranges and general options: Here I selected only the option "skip hidden rows and columns" and on include or exclude ranges > import only these ranges > (Sheet!G1:G1500) [Good result]

Comment and context options:
>Import comments > Relative position C: +1 R: 0 [Good result for length restrictions]
>Import context IDs > Custom rules >

Sheet!J1:J1500 C: +3 R: 0
Sheet!L1:L1500 C: +4 R: 0
Sheet!M1:M1500 C: +5 R: 0

[Problem: this context (J,M,L) is not shown on comments]

I would like to know if anyone is used to treat this kind of documents and what is the correct way to do it, please.

Thanks in advance,

J M A.

[Edited at 2015-12-22 16:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-12-22 16:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-12-23 08:07 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 22:50
English to Russian
Use Multilingual delimited text filter Dec 22, 2015

Hello,

You are using the standard Excel filter. Instead, after you click Import with Options, click Change filter and configuration, select Multilingual Delimited Text Filter from the Filter list, and then configure the filter on the second tab. To do this, write down the letter names of each column (A, B, etc) in Excel before doing this.

Configurating the filter is quite intuitive, but if you have issues, there are several video tutorials on this (Kilgray's webinars) a
... See more
Hello,

You are using the standard Excel filter. Instead, after you click Import with Options, click Change filter and configuration, select Multilingual Delimited Text Filter from the Filter list, and then configure the filter on the second tab. To do this, write down the letter names of each column (A, B, etc) in Excel before doing this.

Configurating the filter is quite intuitive, but if you have issues, there are several video tutorials on this (Kilgray's webinars) as well as memoQ help files.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

J M A
J M A
Spain
Local time: 20:50
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Dec 23, 2015

Thank you very much Stanislav!

I didn't know about this filter but it is perfect for what I want to do

Best regards and Merry Christmas,

J M A

[Edited at 2015-12-23 09:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-12-23 11:40 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Excel filter options

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »