Thread poster: Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:28
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2013

Hi everyone

Sorry if this has been asked before, I could not find it in previous posts. A client sent me a word document to translate which I did in MemoQ and delivered in Word back to them. Now they are asking for the TXML file. How do I convert XLIFF or RTF into TXML if at all possible?

Anette

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 06:28
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TXML Oct 18, 2013

TXML file.

TXML is Wordfast Pro proprietary bilingual format. You can process the document in Wordfast Pro in order to produce a TXML file.

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have not got Wordfast Pro Oct 18, 2013

Andrey Yasharov wrote:

TXML file.

TXML is Wordfast Pro proprietary bilingual format. You can process the document in Wordfast Pro in order to produce a TXML file.

Thank you Andrey, I did not explain that I do not have Wordfast Pro and wanted to avoid having to copy and paste into WFA (as I am currently doing) if there is a workaround?

Are you saying there is no other way?

Thanks

Anette

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 06:28
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Another way Oct 18, 2013

I would export the TM from memoQ as a TMX file, save that as Wordfast TM with Olifant for better compatibility, import the Wordfast TM into WFA settings, import the original document into WFA, pre-translate the document, review the result and export as a txml document.
It is still faster that copying and pasting manually.

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
Local time: 05:28
German to English
+ ...
What did they send you? Word or TXML? Oct 18, 2013

A client sent me a word document to translate which I did in MemoQ and delivered in Word back to them. Now they are asking for the TXML file.

Hi Anette,

Why are they asking for a TXML file if they only sent you a Word file (i.e. a .doc or .docx file)? Or did they actually send you a TXML file to translate?

If they sent you a Word doc/docx file, then that's what memoQ will produce - what goes in is what comes out again; you can't convert the source file from within memoQ and produce a different kind of target file (unless you generate a bilingual version as an RTF or XLIFF file).

Perhaps they'd simply like to have the TM you produced for the document, which you could send them as a TMX file, which is a common format. Create a new TM, make it your primary TM, confirm all the segments in your Word file to send them to that TM and then attach the TM to an e-mail (maybe after zipping it to reduce its size).

You shouldn't have to convert anything.

If they sent you a TXML file originally, then import that into memoQ, translate it (using pre-translate to draw on all the segments you've already translated) and then export it, in which case the target file will be TXML as well. See memoQ's help documentation for more details: http://kilgray.com/memoq/62/help-en/index.html?txml_filter_config.html

Regards

Carl

[Edited at 2013-10-18 12:13 GMT]

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly my question Oct 18, 2013

Thank you very much Carl for your informative answer. They did indeed send me a word file but probably presumed I would use Wordfast, I will remember to ask for the txml file next time instead. I am rather new to MemoQ so this is very useful information, especially how to create a new TM.

Thank you also Andrey, that will speed up time considerably if I ever have to do this again. But hopefully not!

Have a good weekend!

Anette

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 22:28
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
txml output Oct 18, 2013

Since you have the translated word file, upload in WFA and then save that file as txml file on your computer. If I have understood the problem, clearly this is the shortcut.

[Edited at 2013-10-18 17:47 GMT]

Anette Herbert
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to save? Oct 18, 2013

Srini Venkataraman wrote:

Since you have the translated word file, upload in WFA and then save that file as txml file on your computer. If I have understood the problem, clearly this is the shortcut.

[Edited at 2013-10-18 17:47 GMT]

Thank you Srini,

I tried it just now but can't see how I would save it? There is no save option in the WFA that I can see?

Anette

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 22:28
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
diff route Oct 18, 2013

actually that is file->download doc file
Now I am getting 2nd thoughts- the client wanted a bilingual txml file? then my suggestion is wrong.sorry

[Edited at 2013-10-18 21:56 GMT]

Checked thru allowed formats in WFA: xliff is there. so you upload the xliff file in wfa and then download the doc as txml.

[Edited at 2013-10-18 21:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT! XLIFF into TXML

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »