Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 28, 2013

Dear Colleague or Developer,

I need to auto translate numbers like "1.2 million" to "120" wan in Chinese.

I wrote the following expression:

(\d{1,2})\.(\d) million and $1$20 wan

usually a third party regex editor. this combo works. however, in Memoq, the result is

1$20 wanwan

could anyone kindly advise a solution.

thank you very much for your help in advance.

best regards,

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:25
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Maybe a bug? Aug 28, 2013

In your target expression the regex editor sees $20 as calling the 20th term, which of course doesn't exist.

But I tried several ways to escape the digit '0' without success, including using a named reference to memoQ's Translation Pair feature. When I tried to use a Translation Pair the pair would work successfully but then the second term was still ignored and would result in '$2' as '1$20 wan' instead of the desired result.

Perhaps it's a bug in the regex processor,
... See more
In your target expression the regex editor sees $20 as calling the 20th term, which of course doesn't exist.

But I tried several ways to escape the digit '0' without success, including using a named reference to memoQ's Translation Pair feature. When I tried to use a Translation Pair the pair would work successfully but then the second term was still ignored and would result in '$2' as '1$20 wan' instead of the desired result.

Perhaps it's a bug in the regex processor, in which case memoQ support may be able to help.

[Edited at 2013-08-28 13:07 GMT]
Collapse

MuMyongCy (X)
MuMyongCy (X)
South Korea
Local time: 17:25
English to Korean
How about Aug 28, 2013

to use workarounds.

(\d{1,2})\.(\d) million --> $1$2Ring wan

Ring wan --> 0 wan

Looks silly, but works fine (I guess).

Regards

Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another problem with autotranslation Aug 28, 2013

Thank you, John and Jaesang for your kind reply and smart workaround. let's see whether there are any official solution from Memoq support:).

Besides, I just encountered another problem. let me call it "embedded rules". that is, I have a long auto-rule to cover the whole sentence and some short rules to cover the segments in the sentence. However, only the long rule is prompted and all the other small rules are omitted. hopefully, I made myself clear.

Just now I notice
... See more
Thank you, John and Jaesang for your kind reply and smart workaround. let's see whether there are any official solution from Memoq support:).

Besides, I just encountered another problem. let me call it "embedded rules". that is, I have a long auto-rule to cover the whole sentence and some short rules to cover the segments in the sentence. However, only the long rule is prompted and all the other small rules are omitted. hopefully, I made myself clear.

Just now I notice some short rules display. I still need to verify whether this problem exist or not.

Yes, this is not a problem. however, when assembling fragments, not all of these rules will apply to the same segment or unit.

best regards,
Donglai

[Edited at 2013-08-28 14:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-08-28 14:35 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A question regarding Regex Expression

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »