Japanese translators: Has yaqs.co.jp shut down?
Thread poster: GKKL
GKKL
GKKL  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:19
Japanese to English
+ ...
Feb 23

I noticed about a week ago that I could no longer access the YAQs website, and it still isn't up. I believe the company that operates the site is WIP Corporation, but I haven't received any correspondence from them regarding this issue despite being registered on the platform for over a decade. Does anyone happen to have any insight into what happened? Thank you in advance.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:19
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Never heard of it before... Feb 23

GKKL wrote:
Does anyone happen to have any insight into what happened? Thank you in advance.

...but it certainly seems to be down. Maybe crowd translation has had its day.

Dan

M&YTranslations
M&YTranslations  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
YAQS is not coming back Mar 20

Hello. If memory serves, the volume of work available through YAQS began to drop off during the pandemic. Although life returned to normal for most of us in 2022, job notifications from the platform became ever rarer. WIP Japan Corporation, the company behind the YAQS crowd translation platform, still has a working translation quote request form on its website (https://japan.wipgroup.com), and there are link... See more
Hello. If memory serves, the volume of work available through YAQS began to drop off during the pandemic. Although life returned to normal for most of us in 2022, job notifications from the platform became ever rarer. WIP Japan Corporation, the company behind the YAQS crowd translation platform, still has a working translation quote request form on its website (https://japan.wipgroup.com), and there are links to blog posts and newsletters from this year (2024). So WIP as a translation agency continues to exist. But the link to the YAQS platform no longer works, and neither does the YAQS translator recruitment link (https://japan.wipgroup.com/about/recruit/yaqs-translator/). It does look as if WIP has abandoned its crowd translation business, although it continues to recruit freelancers through its website for other activities. How much trouble would it really have cost the company to send an email to all registered YAQS freelancers letting them know that the platform was shutting down? I'm glad I withdrew all the money they were holding for me before they bailed out.Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
No loss Mar 21

M&YTranslations wrote:
How much trouble would it really have cost the company to send an email to all registered YAQS freelancers letting them know that the platform was shutting down? I'm glad I withdrew all the money they were holding for me before they bailed out.

Indeed. Looking at their website they seem to have their fingers in a number of different pies, so I suspect they just lost interest when the going became difficult...

Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese translators: Has yaqs.co.jp shut down?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »