Thread poster: Nehad Hussein
Nehad Hussein
Nehad Hussein  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:30
English to Arabic
Jul 12, 2014

Hello Dear Professionals,

The question I am asking is about a new assignment I have had recently. Its about a menu that needs to be translated into my mother tongue Arabic, The problem is that the client is from non English speaking county in Europe, so the menu is full with names that is very hard even to pronounce. I am wondering now what is the best strategy to deal with this menu? Translation Vs. Transliteration.

Please feel free to share your experience and any ti
... See more
Hello Dear Professionals,

The question I am asking is about a new assignment I have had recently. Its about a menu that needs to be translated into my mother tongue Arabic, The problem is that the client is from non English speaking county in Europe, so the menu is full with names that is very hard even to pronounce. I am wondering now what is the best strategy to deal with this menu? Translation Vs. Transliteration.

Please feel free to share your experience and any tips or tricks you have done before.
Collapse

Mahmoud Helmi
Mahmoud Helmi  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:30
English to Arabic
أسلوبي في ترجمة قوائم الطعام Jul 12, 2014

السلام عليكم،

ابحثي عن أسماء هذه المأكولات بالعربية في الجوجل (من خلال البحث في الصفحات باللغة العربية)، فإذا لم تجدي لها أي ترجمة أو تعريب على الإطلاق، فلا مفر من الترجمة الصوتية، ولكن يفضل إرفاق الترجمة الصوتية بوصف من كلمتين أو ثلاثة على الأقل، على ألا يبدو هذا الو
... See more
السلام عليكم،

ابحثي عن أسماء هذه المأكولات بالعربية في الجوجل (من خلال البحث في الصفحات باللغة العربية)، فإذا لم تجدي لها أي ترجمة أو تعريب على الإطلاق، فلا مفر من الترجمة الصوتية، ولكن يفضل إرفاق الترجمة الصوتية بوصف من كلمتين أو ثلاثة على الأقل، على ألا يبدو هذا الوصف دخيلاً على قائمة الطعام، حتى يأخذ القارئ فكرة ولو عامة عن هذا الطعام. أما في حالة الاضطرار لإيراد الترجمة الصوتية وحدها، فعزائك أنه لابد وأن بعض الأوروبيين أنفسهم يلاقون صعوبة في فهم ماهية هذه المأكولات.

حاولي أيضًا معرفة النطق السليم لهذه المأكولات بوضعها في الجوجل وقبلها عبارة how to pronounce، أو حتى بكتابتها في اليوتيوب وانتظار سماع اسمها داخل الفيديوهات.

وبصفة عامة مع المعلوم أن ترجمة قوائم الطعام – وكثير من المواد الدعائية – تُعتبر من أصعب أنواع الترجمة.
والله الموفق،
Collapse

Nehad Hussein
Nehad Hussein  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:30
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mohammed for the advice Jul 13, 2014

I agree with your tips. The problem is with Foreign dishes and ingredient there is a great deal of mistranslation or no translation at all. This sometimes force the translator to transliterate it which I feel it unfair as the wont know what it is.

I really appreciate your help.

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 13:30
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
. Jul 13, 2014

Salamat Nehad,
I second Mahmoud's advice, and add that a bit of creative thinking while googling can lead to results that are very difficult to obtain otherwise.

If it's possible, you could talk to the client about the option of adding a descriptive line following each unfamiliar meal name that you had no option but transliterating. Explain your point and the expected benefits to both, the restaurant(s) and its guests, and I think that the client will appreciate it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Menu Translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »