Doubts about meaning of the phrase Arabic=>English
Thread poster: Bulanda
Bulanda
Bulanda
Poland
Jan 20, 2014

Good morning,

I've translated an agreement from Arabic into English.

The following expression:
يتم التسليم في أجل خمسة أشهر من تاريخ فتح رسالة الاعتماد، إلا في حالة تأخير من طرف المشتري في الأجال الجمركية وإنهاء أشغال الهندسة المدنية.

I've translated as:
The delivery will be completed within 5 months from the date of opening the lett
... See more
Good morning,

I've translated an agreement from Arabic into English.

The following expression:
يتم التسليم في أجل خمسة أشهر من تاريخ فتح رسالة الاعتماد، إلا في حالة تأخير من طرف المشتري في الأجال الجمركية وإنهاء أشغال الهندسة المدنية.

I've translated as:
The delivery will be completed within 5 months from the date of opening the letter of credit. The exception is when the Buyer will be late in the customs dealines and completing civil engineering works.

The customer insists that this translation isn't correct and instead of "The exception is" should be something closer to "For example".

Could you please tell me whether my translations is correct?

Thank you in advance.

Piotr
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 03:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
My input Jan 20, 2014

Apart from whether it is correct or not I would use "....unless there is a delay..." and make it once sentence instead of starting a new sentence with "The exception is".

Kind regards

Bulanda
Bulanda
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Translation Jan 20, 2014

Thank you very much!

Tim Friese
Tim Friese  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:12
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Agree with Ahmad Jan 20, 2014

Your translation could be rephrased for style but is basically accurate. It is certainly better than the 'correction' which is a clear error.

BKTranslatio (X)
BKTranslatio (X)
Germany
Local time: 02:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
For example... Jan 20, 2014

I don't think it would be appropriate to use " For example "...but if your customer insists, take the advice of Ahmad "...unless there is a delay..." and when you finish, just put " for example" followed by a point
" The delivery will be completed within 5 months from the date of opening the letter of credit unless there is a delay caused by the Buyer in the customs dealines and (in) the completion of civil engineering wor
... See more
I don't think it would be appropriate to use " For example "...but if your customer insists, take the advice of Ahmad "...unless there is a delay..." and when you finish, just put " for example" followed by a point
" The delivery will be completed within 5 months from the date of opening the letter of credit unless there is a delay caused by the Buyer in the customs dealines and (in) the completion of civil engineering works FOR EXAMPLE.

Your customer should be happy then...maybe !

[Edited at 2014-01-20 22:21 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Doubts about meaning of the phrase Arabic=>English

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »