Thread poster: Alex Lago
Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 10, 2023

Not sure if this is the correct forum as this is not exactly a "problem", but couldn't find any other forum I thought was more appropriate.

I haven't used Wordfast Classic for years, but one of the features I seem to remember it had, was that when the only change between segments was numbers it automatically placed in the correct numbers and generated a 100% match.

Am I right? Does anybody still use Classic? Or do they remember if this is correct?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFC8 Jan 10, 2023

I don't use the latest version of WFC, but here's the user manual:
http://wordfast.net/WFC/WFC8_manual.html

From what I can see, the same is true in version 8 (the current version), namely: if WFC updates the numbers in an exact match, it shows the match as 100% (despite different numbers), unless you penalize the match percentage for different numbers (see "Attributes & penalt
... See more
I don't use the latest version of WFC, but here's the user manual:
http://wordfast.net/WFC/WFC8_manual.html

From what I can see, the same is true in version 8 (the current version), namely: if WFC updates the numbers in an exact match, it shows the match as 100% (despite different numbers), unless you penalize the match percentage for different numbers (see "Attributes & penalties" section of the manual). I'm also assuming its ability to update numbers with decimal commas or numbers with non-US/UK/EU currency symbols is as non-existent as it is in earlier versions (-:
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:18
English to French
+ ...
Yes, and no Jan 10, 2023

Yes, in theory, it does.

In real life, it does some or most of the time, but not all the time. It does work better when there is only one block of digits in the segment.

From empirical observation, the efficiency of that specific rule depends on the length of the segment, in addition ito penalties.

J L

Alex Lago wrote:

Am I right? Does anybody still use Classic? Or do they remember if this is correct?

[Edited at 2023-01-10 14:34 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How Wordfast Classic handled sentences with numbers

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »