Glossary searches on the fly with WFC 8.85 (Word 2019, Win 10)
Thread poster: Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Local time: 20:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2022

I'd appreciate any guidance on performing glossary searches during a translation session with WFC 8.85. I upgraded a year or so ago from a much earlier edition (5.xx), which offered drop-down windows for easy searches of up to three glossaries, with a theoretical Paste option (though I could never get that to work). With the new version, however, attempting a glossary search closes the segment I'm working on, which is inconvenient, and searching more than one glossary doesn't seem to be an opt... See more
I'd appreciate any guidance on performing glossary searches during a translation session with WFC 8.85. I upgraded a year or so ago from a much earlier edition (5.xx), which offered drop-down windows for easy searches of up to three glossaries, with a theoretical Paste option (though I could never get that to work). With the new version, however, attempting a glossary search closes the segment I'm working on, which is inconvenient, and searching more than one glossary doesn't seem to be an option.

So: Is it actually possible (a) to search glossaries on the fly without closing your current segment, (b) to search more than one glossary at once, and (c) is there a working Paste option for glossary results?

I assume I'm missing a vital step here, but it's eluding me - some assistance from those more familiar with the new version would be much appreciated. After 20+ years of using Wordfast it's a little frustrating to feel like I'm a newbie all over again

Martin
NZ
Collapse

Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary searches - no working option for this Jun 14, 2022

No-one? Ctrl-Alt-G doesn't work for term searches, and having to keep three text files open and perform manual searches is a seriously retrograde step compared to the old versions ...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 10:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
No idea Jun 22, 2022

Although I've been using WFC for years now, and my current version is lower than the one in the query (8.85). I've never found the glossary function useful.

Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working glossary serarches Jun 22, 2022

neilmac wrote:

Although I've been using WFC for years now, and my current version is lower than the one in the query (8.85). I've never found the glossary function useful.

That's a pity. But since you say you don't find them useful, does that mean you're still actually able to perform them? I can't work out how with the new version. I'd honestly revert to version 5.xx if it were compatible with the version of Windows and Word I'm using. I could at least search three glossaries on the fly with that version, even if the theoretical direct paste option was never any more than theory.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:51
English to Czech
Still possible, even though it's an outdated feature Jun 23, 2022

Martin, manual glossary searches (Ctrl+Alt+G) are the terminology Ice Age in Wordfast Classic. WFC uses AutoSuggest and marks all recognized terms with highlights.

Anyway, it is still possible to search the glossaries manually. See “Glossaries under toolbar” at https://www.wordfast.net/zip/WFC8_manual.html#setupView

Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Might be Ice Age but it worked Jun 23, 2022

Thanks for the link below - I set the drop-down glossary number to 3 and it just says "Cannot load". Possibly my main glossary has too many entries, I'm not keen on trying to count at this point!

Not sure I see the point of highlighting words found in glossaries if the translations aren't automatically imported - I have it set to do so, but it's a bit hit-and-miss. Perhaps if there's a matching source term in more than one glossary it doesn't know what to do so leaves the source t
... See more
Thanks for the link below - I set the drop-down glossary number to 3 and it just says "Cannot load". Possibly my main glossary has too many entries, I'm not keen on trying to count at this point!

Not sure I see the point of highlighting words found in glossaries if the translations aren't automatically imported - I have it set to do so, but it's a bit hit-and-miss. Perhaps if there's a matching source term in more than one glossary it doesn't know what to do so leaves the source term in place? Anyway, it defeats the object and I'm back to a manual search again.

I may see if I can still get version 5.xx to work in my current environment - it served me well for 13 years or so!

David Daduč wrote:

Martin, manual glossary searches (Ctrl+Alt+G) are the terminology Ice Age in Wordfast Classic. WFC uses AutoSuggest and marks all recognized terms with highlights.

Anyway, it is still possible to search the glossaries manually. See “Glossaries under toolbar” at https://www.wordfast.net/zip/WFC8_manual.html#setupView
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary searches on the fly with WFC 8.85 (Word 2019, Win 10)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »