subtitling software compatibility
Thread poster: JulietteC
JulietteC
JulietteC
Local time: 09:32
English to French
Aug 5, 2006

Hi there!

I'm really interested in subtitling (currently doing a subtitling work placement), and I wonder if there is any compatibility between the different subtitling software ?

I know there is compatibility between CAT software thanks to an export format, is it the same for subtitling ?

For example, if a company uses Wincaps, is it possible for me to deliver a file done with another software that they can use ?

For example, I know that Ayat
... See more
Hi there!

I'm really interested in subtitling (currently doing a subtitling work placement), and I wonder if there is any compatibility between the different subtitling software ?

I know there is compatibility between CAT software thanks to an export format, is it the same for subtitling ?

For example, if a company uses Wincaps, is it possible for me to deliver a file done with another software that they can use ?

For example, I know that Ayato is much cheaper (would somebody know the price of it, I didn't find the price on the ninsight website ?). There also are free software like SubEdit...

Basically, do I have to own the software used by the company to work for them, or are there other possibilities ?

many thanks for your answers !

Juliette.
Collapse

Patricia Colombera
Patricia Colombera
Local time: 04:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
subtitling Aug 7, 2006

Hi Juliette,
Welcome to the subtitling world.
There're several subtitling software, like Swift, Win2020, Softni. As far as I know, it's each company that decides which software is used. For instance, I work for a company that has developed its own subtitling software and it's given to translators once we've passed a test on subtitling and language skills.
I believe there's no compatibility between different softw
... See more
Hi Juliette,
Welcome to the subtitling world.
There're several subtitling software, like Swift, Win2020, Softni. As far as I know, it's each company that decides which software is used. For instance, I work for a company that has developed its own subtitling software and it's given to translators once we've passed a test on subtitling and language skills.
I believe there's no compatibility between different software. But I'm no sure, so I hope somebody else helps us here.
You can download Subtitle Workshop from the Web. It's a good software to start with subtitles.
Hope my answer could help you.
Feel free to contact me if you have more doubts.

Patricia
Collapse

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:32
English
+ ...
Compatibility between subtitling systems Aug 7, 2006

The basic point when it comes to compatibility between systems is the number of export/import formats your system is able to use. For instance, I use Swift, but some of my clients or fellow freelancers use Wincaps, Isis or even their own company's brand. The default file formats each system saves in are not compatible with each other, but they can save files in other formats to allow sharing between systems. Most systems can export or import files in .stl and .pac files which are hte most common... See more
The basic point when it comes to compatibility between systems is the number of export/import formats your system is able to use. For instance, I use Swift, but some of my clients or fellow freelancers use Wincaps, Isis or even their own company's brand. The default file formats each system saves in are not compatible with each other, but they can save files in other formats to allow sharing between systems. Most systems can export or import files in .stl and .pac files which are hte most commony used formats for broadcast and DVD production in Euroe, although there are a variety of other formats available. If the system you are using can save files in the major formats, there should be few problems with compatibility between systems.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

subtitling software compatibility

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »