Has Sublime stopped subtitling for Netflix?
Thread poster: Daniel Olsson
Daniel Olsson
Daniel Olsson  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:55
SITE LOCALIZER
Apr 12, 2023

I am wondering this since I have not seen any new tasks in my language pair (en to sv) offered in Originator/Backlot since December last year. I wonder if others have the same experience.

Is anyone receiving tasks for Sublime-affiliated DTT-subtitlers through Backlot at this moment? Have you heard any rumours about changes to the program? I would be interested in hearing about the amount of work you have right now from Netflix.

usaviet

Regina Junajew
Regina Junajew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:55
English to German
Not sure but... May 15, 2023

Hiya,

I am not sure if it's only a Netflix thing.

I usually subtitle for them aswell (EN to GER) and there are no jobs at the moment.
Well there were about two little jobs within the last two months. But during Covid it was much more, right?

I am not sure if it has something to do, that most videos were maybe released
during Covid to entertain those, who stayed at home. And now there seems to be
a depression on the entertaining market?
... See more
Hiya,

I am not sure if it's only a Netflix thing.

I usually subtitle for them aswell (EN to GER) and there are no jobs at the moment.
Well there were about two little jobs within the last two months. But during Covid it was much more, right?

I am not sure if it has something to do, that most videos were maybe released
during Covid to entertain those, who stayed at home. And now there seems to be
a depression on the entertaining market?

Warmly,
Regina
Collapse

usaviet

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... May 16, 2023

Here is Netflix' current vendor list:

http://gvm.netflixstudios.com/partners.html

There have been significant changes to this list, compared to a few months ago (there are now fewer vendors for each language).
If your vendor has not informed you about any of this, ask them about "allocation".

usaviet

bebee_lut
bebee_lut  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
...not just Sublime... May 16, 2023

I feel it's all subtitling agencies, not just Sublime. I had good amount of work even before and after covid, but past few months have been quite bad.

Jocelin Meunier
Sara Sanchez
usaviet
Melina Kajander

usaviet
usaviet
United States
Local time: 12:55
Member (2017)
English to Vietnamese
It has been quite sporadic for me too Jun 16, 2023

I thought for a moment something is wrong with my account. It seems the amount of work has been cut down significantly...
Good to know that it's not the case, and it's not just me...

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Slump? Sep 13, 2023

On this issue, stated in the last two posts: would anyone know the reason(s)for this current subtitling "slump"? As it seems pretty bad at the moment No assignments in September yet. Last year was so good financially, but this year, not so much. Subtitles are what I'm specialized in & it's my preferred field, so I'd rather stick to it, but it doesn't seem possible at the moment... (But then, looking for new clients in other fie... See more
On this issue, stated in the last two posts: would anyone know the reason(s)for this current subtitling "slump"? As it seems pretty bad at the moment No assignments in September yet. Last year was so good financially, but this year, not so much. Subtitles are what I'm specialized in & it's my preferred field, so I'd rather stick to it, but it doesn't seem possible at the moment... (But then, looking for new clients in other fields & going through their onboarding processes takes time, plus I don't have another speciality I'd wish to work in.)

[Edited at 2023-09-13 09:54 GMT]
Collapse

Fabrice Ndie

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Hypothesis Sep 13, 2023

Melina Kajander wrote:
On this issue, stated in the last two posts: would anyone know the reason(s)for this current subtitling "slump"?

My hypothesis:
1) The great recession of 2023
2) SAG-AFTRA strike

I could be wrong.

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Explanation Sep 14, 2023

I can now answer my own question, as I got a kind reply from the support team of my main client - it's mainly the actors' and writer's strike in the US, which has hugely & adversely impacted creation of new content, and forced studios to spread out releases in order to try to adjust to this. (So Mr Satan was partly right.) I had no idea... I generally hate strikes anyway, they're at best inconvenient & at worst really harmful (such as this one now), not to mention us translators obviously don't... See more
I can now answer my own question, as I got a kind reply from the support team of my main client - it's mainly the actors' and writer's strike in the US, which has hugely & adversely impacted creation of new content, and forced studios to spread out releases in order to try to adjust to this. (So Mr Satan was partly right.) I had no idea... I generally hate strikes anyway, they're at best inconvenient & at worst really harmful (such as this one now), not to mention us translators obviously don't have the luxury of going on strike!

Really hope the situation will improve soon, but as this has already dragged on since May (for writers) and July (actors), it's anyone's guess how long it will...

[Edited at 2023-09-14 16:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-09-14 16:11 GMT]
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has Sublime stopped subtitling for Netflix?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »