Syncing subtitles with dialog
Thread poster: Joseph PHILIPPA
Joseph PHILIPPA
Joseph PHILIPPA
Australia
Nov 6, 2021

I was lead to this forum by the 'motto' - "ask me anything about subtitling", but I notice it is heavily slanted towards translating - so I suspect I MAY be 'off topic'.
I have a video and subtitles for it, but even if I align the first dialog with the first subtitle, they get out of sync.
I searched Google for a program that would fix this automatically, but it only suggested one that runs in Ubuntu.
I was unable to download Ubuntu. I asked in a Video forum and was referred to
... See more
I was lead to this forum by the 'motto' - "ask me anything about subtitling", but I notice it is heavily slanted towards translating - so I suspect I MAY be 'off topic'.
I have a video and subtitles for it, but even if I align the first dialog with the first subtitle, they get out of sync.
I searched Google for a program that would fix this automatically, but it only suggested one that runs in Ubuntu.
I was unable to download Ubuntu. I asked in a Video forum and was referred to Subtitle Edit which runs in Win10, but its manual does not correspond to the program and I could make no headway. I came across Subtitle Workshop, however it would not install. I'm frustrated and looking for help to use Subtitle Edit to achieve my aim.
Collapse

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:20
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
FPS - Frame Rate Per Second Nov 7, 2021

Hi,

FPS of the video and the FPS of the subtitle file can be different. Usuallly, this solves the problem. They should be same.

Mr. Satan (X)

Min Xuanping
Min Xuanping  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
Use link to sync the dialogue in subtitling. Nov 8, 2021

I use AcrTime for subtitling, where the link/unlink tool is helpful to sync the dialogue.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Try playing it in a different media player, perhaps? Nov 8, 2021

It could also because of the media player. In my experience, VLC tends to be less problematic in handling subtitles. Otherwise, I agree with Sarper Aman's suggestion.

but its manual does not correspond to the program

What were you trying to do, exactly? If you want to bulk-synchronize your subtitle timing, it's in the menu bar, in 'Synchronization' --> 'Adjust all times (show earlier/later)' menu.

Also, it's dialogue, not dialog.

[Edited at 2021-11-08 12:30 GMT]

Joseph PHILIPPA
Joseph PHILIPPA
Australia
TOPIC STARTER
What were you trying to do, exactly? Nov 13, 2021

I was trying to synchronise the video's audio with the subtitles in the separate file.

Joseph PHILIPPA
Joseph PHILIPPA
Australia
TOPIC STARTER
VLC tends to be less problematic in handling subtitles. Nov 13, 2021

The video will not play in VLC; it will play in SMPlayer, but the subtitle adjustment available there does not KEEP the audio and subtitles in sync once the first subtitle has been synchronised.

I have investigated syncing software ; One requires Ubuntu, Subtitle Edit requires 64bits; Aegisub displays in a way that results in illegible subtitles so no progress can be made.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
What? Nov 13, 2021

Joseph PHILIPPA wrote:

The video will not play in VLC; it will play in SMPlayer, but the subtitle adjustment available there does not KEEP the audio and subtitles in sync once the first subtitle has been synchronised.

I have investigated syncing software ; One requires Ubuntu, Subtitle Edit requires 64bits; Aegisub displays in a way that results in illegible subtitles so no progress can be made.

That is weird. What video format is that?

Anyway, perhaps it's better to ask in the AMA subtitling thread you mentioned. I don't think you're going to derail that thread with this question. I'm sure Max would be more than happy to help you with his expertise.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Syncing subtitles with dialog

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »