Which subtitling tool
Thread poster: Benedicte Le Droguen
Benedicte Le Droguen
Benedicte Le Droguen  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:49
English to French
May 31, 2021

Hi all,

Would you know of a free or not-too-expensive subtitling software that has the following characteristics:

- Can read MP4
- Can detect shot changes
- Can count characters
- Can export to .stl, .srt, .rtf

I'm presently starting to use a free demo of EZTitles but I don't know if it's worth buying it for now, so I'm looking for a backup plan.

Thank you in advance!

Kristopher Brame
Kristopher Brame  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:49
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
Subtitle Edit or OOONA May 31, 2021

I'd recommend Subtitle Edit as free software. As for a less expensive paid software, OOONA is good. The shot changes also are automatically detected with OOONA. You have to go click a button and wait for the SCs to be detected in SE (not that that's a big deal at all). Also, importing advanced subtitling files is very easy with OOONA. There is a workaround to import them into SE, but they can both export .stl, .rtf and, of course, .srt without a problem.

Benedicte Le Droguen
Benedicte Le Droguen  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:49
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 31, 2021

Thank you so much for your help Kristopher!

I'll look into both software you're recommending

Cheers

Bene

Kristopher Brame

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which subtitling tool

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »