How to subtitle a large block of motionless text.
Thread poster: Zagarella Maryrose
Zagarella Maryrose
Zagarella Maryrose
Spain
Local time: 00:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 20, 2021

Hi fellow linguists! I have a question about subtitling a large block of text that is on screen for one or two minutes. I can't remember seeing how this is generally done, although I watch a lot of films with subtitles. Should it just be subtitled in the way speech would be, with normal subtitles succeeding each other on the screen for the duration of the text, or is the best way to do it to create a stationary block of text below the original one? And if the second option is the best, what is t... See more
Hi fellow linguists! I have a question about subtitling a large block of text that is on screen for one or two minutes. I can't remember seeing how this is generally done, although I watch a lot of films with subtitles. Should it just be subtitled in the way speech would be, with normal subtitles succeeding each other on the screen for the duration of the text, or is the best way to do it to create a stationary block of text below the original one? And if the second option is the best, what is that called? (So I can Google how to do it.) Or how does one do that in .srt? (If you feel like being super zealous and wonderfully helpful!)Collapse

Kristopher Brame
Kristopher Brame  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:29
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
I like option 1 May 20, 2021

It's hard for me to imagine on-screen text that lasts a minute or two. I've never seen it last that long. I'd usually subtitle it as if it were speech. It's also very nice because you can smooth out the reading speeds, so they all have the same CPS, but maybe that isn't even an issue if the text is staying up so long. I don't really understand what you mean with the second option.

[Edited at 2021-05-20 19:40 GMT]

Yaotl Altan

Zagarella Maryrose
Zagarella Maryrose
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess it's not a thing...? May 20, 2021

Thank you for your reply! I'm sure I was exaggerating about the length of time the text is on screen. I've only watched the film once and did not note the time.
I guess if you don't know what I mean by the 2nd option, it must not be a thing.
So you've encountered this before and you just used normal subs?

Kristopher Brame
United States
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
It could be a thing May 20, 2021

I've had long texts before where they just wanted to type out a few sentences for the audience. I've always used the first method. Now I'm quite curious to know what you mean by the second method. Maybe I just don't follow what you're describing. Do you just mean embedding a subtitle in the area of the on-screen text?

Zagarella Maryrose
Zagarella Maryrose
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Picture this as the movie screen :)) May 20, 2021

This is what I am picturing:
fake documentary frame

[Edited at 2021-05-20 21:27 GMT]

Kristopher Brame
United States
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
I think the 1st option is the way to go. May 20, 2021

You should probably make them normal subtitles but adhere to any guidelines about on-screen text. I guess most people use the Netflix forced narrative style all caps.

Yaotl Altan

Zagarella Maryrose
Zagarella Maryrose
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Okay, that's a good idea. I didn't even think of looking at general guidelines!

Yaotl Altan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to subtitle a large block of motionless text.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »