Maria Lorenzo
Maria Lorenzo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 16, 2004

Hi Everybody,

I was wondering if anybody out there could help me here.
I am nearly finished with the translation course I have been doing for the last year and I would like to specialize in a field.
I´d love to do Audiovisual Translation (Subtitling, games, etc.) but I´m not sure what the job market is like for this area of specialization.
Does anybody know what it is like, is it good, bad... should I rather do a different area...
I live in Ireland at
... See more
Hi Everybody,

I am nearly finished with the translation course I have been doing for the last year and I would like to specialize in a field.
I´d love to do Audiovisual Translation (Subtitling, games, etc.) but I´m not sure what the job market is like for this area of specialization.
Does anybody know what it is like, is it good, bad... should I rather do a different area...
I live in Ireland at the moment but I am thinking of going back to Spain in the next couple of years.

I´d really appreciate your feedback.
Thanks and regards,
María
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Excellent Opportunities, Jun 16, 2004

Maria Lorenzo wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I live in Ireland at the moment but I am thinking of going back to Spain in the next couple of years.

I´d really appreciate your feedback.
Thanks and regards,
María
Hi! Excellent Opportunities, I wish you good beginning. Could you send me your voice sample 2-3 min. a subject of your choice.Currently I am looking for a teaching voice. In English please.
Brandis

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yahoo groups Jun 16, 2004

Dear Maria:
I am a bit confused because you asked about audiovisual translation and Brandis wants a voice sample from you....
Nevertheless I suggest you join a yahoo list that if I recall properly is called Trag which is where mainly spanish speaking colleagues working in the audiovisual field share their experiences-doubts-knowledge.
If you are planning of going back to Spain it would be ideal that you knew people in this 'little world'.
I'm sorry I can't remember the de
... See more
Dear Maria:
I am a bit confused because you asked about audiovisual translation and Brandis wants a voice sample from you....
Nevertheless I suggest you join a yahoo list that if I recall properly is called Trag which is where mainly spanish speaking colleagues working in the audiovisual field share their experiences-doubts-knowledge.
If you are planning of going back to Spain it would be ideal that you knew people in this 'little world'.
I'm sorry I can't remember the details from the top of my head but when I remember I'll send you the details on how to join this list if you don't mind.
Good luck.
Jesus.
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:07
French to Spanish
+ ...
My opinion... Jun 16, 2004

...was squashed by moderator because "it was not writen in English". I wrote in Spanish (she's an English > Spanish translator) because I don't write quite good enough in English. What to do in this case? Not write to her at all, or just "privatly"? Why this restriction that is quite offensive to me and not flexible at all: no, I don't write in English, but Maria understands me.
So what is the big offense? It's a waste of time.
According to ProZ spirit, I just wanted to help... why
... See more
...was squashed by moderator because "it was not writen in English". I wrote in Spanish (she's an English > Spanish translator) because I don't write quite good enough in English. What to do in this case? Not write to her at all, or just "privatly"? Why this restriction that is quite offensive to me and not flexible at all: no, I don't write in English, but Maria understands me.
So what is the big offense? It's a waste of time.
According to ProZ spirit, I just wanted to help... why cut off my good intentions? Just hope this thread won't be squashed once again.
I wrote privatly to Maria with my suggestions and to the moderator with my opinion about this issue all right.

Juan.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
regarding the voice sampling Jun 17, 2004

Jesus Marin wrote:

Dear Maria:
I'm sorry I can't remember the details from the top of my head but when I remember I'll send you the details on how to join this list if you don't mind.
Good luck.
Jesus.
Hello Juan, My point regarding the voice sample is relevant. An audiovisual product comprises mainly of following components. Content generation, refining, translation, voice generation,then again refining and finally press to the video. From the translator´s perspective, it is more transcription of the audio part of the videod product, translation, refining and voice aspect and repress to the voice less video. That was my inquiry. Lately I am getting very busy in this area.
I hope I am clear now
brandis

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:07
French to Spanish
+ ...
As I was saying... Jun 17, 2004

...in Spanish before, I'll try to make myself clear in English, beging for your indulgence to my very poor writing in this language.
Maria, I can advise you about translation FOR subtitling, but not for subtitling. I suppose you are interested in translation FOR subtitling: subtitling itself (video & motion pictures) is done by very specialized studios with all the required equipment, very expensive indeed. Not for you at this point, I think.
If you are planning to go back to Spain,
... See more
...in Spanish before, I'll try to make myself clear in English, beging for your indulgence to my very poor writing in this language.
Maria, I can advise you about translation FOR subtitling, but not for subtitling. I suppose you are interested in translation FOR subtitling: subtitling itself (video & motion pictures) is done by very specialized studios with all the required equipment, very expensive indeed. Not for you at this point, I think.
If you are planning to go back to Spain, please make contact with Xosé Castro as Jesús Marín says: he is one of the big boss in this field in Barcelona. Goto: [email protected]
and [email protected]
They will help you... they are specialized in translation for subtitling, voiceover and "lips sink" as we know it, in Spain, and they are the "must".
In my experience -translation for subtitling- you'll easely find university training plans in Barcelona, Jaume I University, I think.
As far as my experience tells me, translation for subtitling is, first of all, a matter of skill in "handling" the software with wich you'll do the job (Time In, Time Out, number of characters allowed, etc.) Translating a motion picture is rarely very difficult: no "specialized" terms, nor technical, nor nothing... it's just normal language, the one you speak every day.
General knowledges, history, geography, etc., and very good bilingual skills are obviously required, specialy the "auditive" comprehension one because sometimes you won't have the "dialogue list"... you'll have to translate "by ear".
English > Spanish translation for subtiling is very competitive in Europe, and all around de world. You'll have to work hard, that's clear, and if you are very good, you'll find your place under the sun, as you English native speakers say, I believe.
Don't hesitate to get in touch with me, privatly.

And to Tayfun, no resentment at all, of course.

Juan Jacob.
Collapse

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Informacion prometida Jun 17, 2004

Maria:
I can see that Juan has provided you with the e-mail addresses to join Trag.....if you need for information please follow this link www.YahooGroups.com/group/trag
I agree completely with what Juan says....Trag is the list to be if you want to learn about audiovisual translation.
Kind regards,

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
Local time: 11:07
English to Spanish
Demanding? yes! Jun 19, 2004

Juan Jacob wrote:Translating a motion picture is rarely very difficult: no \"specialized\" terms, nor technical, nor nothing... it\'s just normal language, the one you speak every day.

Hello to all.

Motion picture and TV program translations is very demanding, not only of the language skills required for lip-syncing but the length limitations imposed by subtitling.

It also requires a very wide knowledge of pop culture and general, trivia-like, knowledge and a feel for the right phrase and word.

It is demanding, if you want to make a top job.

Patricia Torres
Patricia Torres  Identity Verified
Venezuela
Local time: 12:07
English to Spanish
Not specialized? Nov 7, 2005

Pablo Roufogalis wrote:

Juan Jacob wrote:Translating a motion picture is rarely very difficult: no \"specialized\" terms, nor technical, nor nothing... it\'s just normal language, the one you speak every day.

Hello to all.

Motion picture and TV program translations is very demanding, not only of the language skills required for lip-syncing but the length limitations imposed by subtitling.

It also requires a very wide knowledge of pop culture and general, trivia-like, knowledge and a feel for the right phrase and word.

It is demanding, if you want to make a top job.

No "specialized" terms, nor technical? It's not only pop culture and general knowledge, as Pablo says, but also jokes and rhyme, for example -in a limited space. Besides, how to handle TV series such as "E.R", "Medical Investigation" or "Strong Medicine"? Or what about Ross in "Friends," and his lectures on anthropology?

Xosé Castro says it in his introduction to Trag list: "En mi opinión, hay dos aspectos que diferencian al traductor audiovisual del resto: (1) nuestras dudas terminológicas (hoy preguntamos sobre química, mañana sobre fauna filipina y pasado sobre un versículo de la Biblia), y..."

Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job Market: Audiovisual Translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »