Need urgent help and advice about eng>eng only subtitling
Thread poster: Edduka
Edduka
Edduka
Local time: 14:12
Jan 14, 2012

Hi everyone,

I've been researching and reading up all information i can get the past 4 months basically about making it in english>english and english>swahili (my native language) subtitling .

I went to college for studies in the US for like 7 years but now am back home in Kenya. I've always dreamed about starting up a translation, captioning and subtitling company here because i think its a very lucrative industry and one that has very few players in our country.
... See more
Hi everyone,

I've been researching and reading up all information i can get the past 4 months basically about making it in english>english and english>swahili (my native language) subtitling .

I went to college for studies in the US for like 7 years but now am back home in Kenya. I've always dreamed about starting up a translation, captioning and subtitling company here because i think its a very lucrative industry and one that has very few players in our country.

I really need advice from the experts on some questions that made me feel like my efforts are all in vain, ideally because of comments that were made about the need to have a foreign language to translate to in order to become more competitive in the international market which i really want to break into. I never let negative comments put me down and am so sure i will eventually achieve my goals, somehow i always do.

Am positive someone knows the answers to some of my questions:

1) Is english>english subtitling/captioning an already native speaker dominated field that i cant break through and bag a few clients?
Like this month i decided to go all out and start looking for some work non-stop. i've tried sending resumes with sample work, came up with a couple of professional profiles and presentations to market my company/team, I've also offered to do 2 minute free trial work to prove my quality is top notch, but still no concrete response yet from the prospects.

2) Do you think am going about my dream the wrong way? which steps do i need to take to get freelance or full time work from prospective companies? How did you do it?

3) Do you have tips or possibly suggestions on which companies i could be targeting to increase my chances of getting positive responses?

4) Am about to finish my website as part of my branding strategy, will that help my efforts in marketing my team? Do you have any other marketing strategies that have worked for you?

5) Is my ambition to become successful in SDH and translation templates in English only too far fetched?

Thank you in advance for any comment/advice/direction you can give me
Collapse

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 13:12
English to French
Think twice (it may not be all right) Jan 14, 2012

Edduka wrote:
starting up a translation, captioning and subtitling company here because i think its a very lucrative industry

Not so sure about that, Edduka. 'Was' maybe, 'is' not so sure.

[Edited at 2012-01-14 11:42 GMT]

Edduka
Edduka
Local time: 14:12
TOPIC STARTER
why think twice? Jan 14, 2012

why do you say that sylvano more input will be highly appreciated...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need urgent help and advice about eng>eng only subtitling

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »