Subtitle Sync software with script
Thread poster: bushidowarrior
bushidowarrior
bushidowarrior
Local time: 12:10
Dec 18, 2011

Hello all and thank you for having me here, great site.

I was wonder if you could please help me.

We have videos that we make between 2 - 10 minutes, 1 person speaking.

We have the script of what the person is saying.

At the moment we manually are making the subtitles using a piece of software, but it is done all manually. As we have the script it makes it a lot easier.

Is there any software that can count the number of words sa
... See more
Hello all and thank you for having me here, great site.

I was wonder if you could please help me.

We have videos that we make between 2 - 10 minutes, 1 person speaking.

We have the script of what the person is saying.

At the moment we manually are making the subtitles using a piece of software, but it is done all manually. As we have the script it makes it a lot easier.

Is there any software that can count the number of words said and use the script text to make the subtitles, I know that this might not be 100% automated but there must be something that can assist.

We then export the subtitles as SRT files.

Thank you.....
Collapse

bushidowarrior
bushidowarrior
TOPIC STARTER
Anyone please Dec 19, 2011

Hello anyone please as I need to move forward with this.

Thank you

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Your question is too general Dec 19, 2011

Apparently you need some course in subtitling, the technique in itself, and mostly the art to make subtitles in a way that a spectator not speaking the original language will enjoy watching.

You may find references, software, tutorials on the technical part of subtitling by searching on http://www.videohelp.com .

While you may self-teach the art of it, it will take quite a while. I had
... See more
Apparently you need some course in subtitling, the technique in itself, and mostly the art to make subtitles in a way that a spectator not speaking the original language will enjoy watching.

You may find references, software, tutorials on the technical part of subtitling by searching on http://www.videohelp.com .

While you may self-teach the art of it, it will take quite a while. I had some 17 years' experience in video translation for dubbing when I decided to learn the art of doing it for subtitling, so I focused on what would be the differences (a totally different mindset, while many of the tools are the same). The technical part may be learned in a short time from the tutorials available on VideoHelp. Yet mastery won't come overnight.
Collapse

Margarita Díaz
Margarita Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:10
French to Spanish
+ ...
You must do it. Dec 19, 2011

Hi.

There is no automatic software that would do it. Have you try Aeguisub and SubtitleWorkshop? Both are free and I think both count words per row or, at least, per insert.

Good luck.

[Editado a las 2011-12-19 12:54 GMT]

bushidowarrior
bushidowarrior
TOPIC STARTER
a greater perspective Dec 19, 2011

Hello, and thanks for you reply.

First of all, the Subtitles are in the same language as the video, so they have to be the same and I also want them to be the same for education purposes.

Second of all Margarita Díaz, there is software that can do this, software such as WINCAP and TiGo (Tigo coming out at the end of the year). I am presently in the process of acquiring a demo. Be sure to keep you updated about this.

Google and YouTube's architect, which pr
... See more
Hello, and thanks for you reply.

First of all, the Subtitles are in the same language as the video, so they have to be the same and I also want them to be the same for education purposes.

Second of all Margarita Díaz, there is software that can do this, software such as WINCAP and TiGo (Tigo coming out at the end of the year). I am presently in the process of acquiring a demo. Be sure to keep you updated about this.

Google and YouTube's architect, which provides real-time caption and also script to video synchronisation. This has been around since 2008. Off-line systems are available. However, they are not easy to look up on the net as no clear definition regarding this kind of method it has been truly established yet, but it is also known as auto syncing.

Trying to use Aeguisub and SubtitleWorkshop, defeats the concept of any form of automation and does not make any workflow thinner. I have used Aeguisub and as an avid programmer myself and not versed in the art of speech analysis nor word identification analysis. However, as a free solution Aeguisub is a very good tool and I stand by it, however, it does not have the functionality which I require.

I do understand the concept of the subtitles must reflect the attitude of what is being said, as well as instigating word stress, tone, emotional stress, attitude etc. I am versed in third languages and now in the process of studying my fourth. Each language inherits its own peculiarities, and cultural colloquial essence. However, what I am doing, this is not necessary to interpret or if you we will use a different mindset. The translation is literally direct from the language of the speaker to the text that should be displayed. Everything must be captured. As before I stated that this is for educational purposes and direct one-to-one ratio translation is, nay a must to be achieved

If anyone is aware of any other software that I have not mentioned above, I would truly appreciate your support and help. I believe it is the responsibility of those who are gifted with experience and wisdom to nurture those who seek. If anyone has any questions about mainframes and artificial intelligence as well as automation. Please do not hesitate to contact me, although this might not be the right forum.

Thank you
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Closed captioning Dec 19, 2011

If it's in the same language and subtitles must have the full audio content, plus any SFX (e.g. door slams, dog barks, etc.), either for the hearing impared or for exhibition in noisy environments (which make everybody hearing impaired), this is known as closed captioning. Though it may be done with subtitling, it's a different type of work, so maybe you should search about it as closed captioning.

bushidowarrior
bushidowarrior
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 19, 2011

Hello José Henrique Lamensdorf,

Thank you for your response. No SFX is need, only the users voice.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

amansondhi
amansondhi  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:40
French to English
+ ...
Newbie Jan 25, 2012

Hello all,

Was just going through all these forums on subtitling. I have been doing translations for about 5 years now and wanted to venture into subtitling. Will be trying out the software mentioned above and revert.

In case there are some more tutorials that can be helpful, please let me know.

thanks!!!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Not exactly tutorials... Jan 25, 2012

amansondhi wrote:
In case there are some more tutorials that can be helpful, please let me know

I have put some general information on video translation - mostly for clients who need them translated, but don't know squat about the options - on my web site, http://www.lamensdorf.com.br . There is some information for beginning translators too.

Look specifically under the "Articles" and "Video | Guide" sections, after having clicked on the "English" button on the left (unless you want to read them in BR Portuguese).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitle Sync software with script

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »