Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:30
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Apr 29, 2011

I'm on BBC with subtitles and I see 'I don't think the bride will exercise her prerogative to be laid'. Took me a moment to figure it out.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 14:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
What? Apr 29, 2011

Susanna Garcia wrote:

I'm on BBC with subtitles and I see 'I don't think the bride will exercise her prerogative to be laid'. Took me a moment to figure it out.

Some obscure proto-feminist version of "droit de seigneur" perhaps? Lang may their royal lums reek, bless ,)

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:30
Greek to English
In memoriam
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Apr 29, 2011

Some of the channels here have gone on about the wedding so much all week, and were promising non-stop live coverage, that I thought it was going to be almost like watching it on the BBC.

What I got was:

a) almost non-stop inane chit-chat from the reporters. That's fine during the (tedious) hours of watching various people arrive at the Cathedral, but it continued throughout the ceremony too (even with cutbacks to the studio discussion, with the volume from the weddi
... See more
Some of the channels here have gone on about the wedding so much all week, and were promising non-stop live coverage, that I thought it was going to be almost like watching it on the BBC.

What I got was:

a) almost non-stop inane chit-chat from the reporters. That's fine during the (tedious) hours of watching various people arrive at the Cathedral, but it continued throughout the ceremony too (even with cutbacks to the studio discussion, with the volume from the wedding cut to inaudible).

b) unless, somehow, wedding ceremonies conducted by an Archbishop in a Cathedral are no longer considered to be 'religious ceremonies', the Greek channels broke Greek and European law, which states that religious ceremonies shown on TV must not be interupted by advertisements. The channel I was watching actually missed the vows because it was on an ad break, and had two breaks within the first 25 minutes of the ceremony. Having translated the relevant Greek legislation, I know which paragraphs of which articles of which Greek law this contravened!
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 14:30
English to Danish
Uh-uh Apr 29, 2011

her prerogative to be laid

Hahahaha - oh dear.
You have to love some of those transcripers, don't you?

[Edited at 2011-04-29 17:43 GMT]

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
LOL May 3, 2011

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BBC subtitling for royal wedding - hopefully not but may offend

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »