Ginevra Massari
Ginevra Massari
Italy
Local time: 18:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 31, 2009

Hi all!

Does anybody know what "translation from template" and "time coding" mean?

I have been asked by a post production company (DVD, cinema etc..) which are my rates for the above
services.

Thank you in advance for your help

Ginevra

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:31
French to Spanish
+ ...
1.- No. 2.- Yes. Mar 31, 2009

Time coding:

Every subtitle must have a Time In and a Time Out (This is the Time Code), that is, the exact moment in wich it appears / disappears from screen.

Depending on format (DVD, 35mm., etc.), about 40 caracters per line, 80 per 2 lines.
No less than 1 second per subtitle on screen, no more than 5 seconds per subtitle on screen. (Well, that's what I do)

Example:

01:00:02:32.13 01:00:02:35.13
- Hi there. How are you?
- Hi
... See more
Time coding:

Every subtitle must have a Time In and a Time Out (This is the Time Code), that is, the exact moment in wich it appears / disappears from screen.

Depending on format (DVD, 35mm., etc.), about 40 caracters per line, 80 per 2 lines.
No less than 1 second per subtitle on screen, no more than 5 seconds per subtitle on screen. (Well, that's what I do)

Example:

01:00:02:32.13 01:00:02:35.13
- Hi there. How are you?
- Hi, fine. And you?

01 = Reel number (can be sometimes 10)
00 = hour
02 = minute
32 = seconds
13 = frames (24 frames per second, remember)
Sometimes, no frames, but milliseconds.

This subtitle, 3 seconds on screen.

This is very triky to do.
Must have special software (Subtitle Workshop, etc.), must have very special skills to translate and adapt... and "compress" the dialogues because the lack of time. This is our major problem: translators for subtitles must NOT translate everything... strange, isn't it?

As I always say here: if you have no idea, drop it.

Good luck anyway.
Collapse

Ana Catarina Lopes
Ana Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:31
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
As far as I know.. Mar 31, 2009

Translation from template is when the client sends you the subtitles in a word document (for example) and you translate them replacing the original with the translation or they have two parallel columns and you fill the translation side by side with the original.

I have never done any time coding, but as far as I know it is when the translator, while translating, also puts in the times codes referring to each subtitle (when it appears and disappears).

I hope this is hel
... See more
Translation from template is when the client sends you the subtitles in a word document (for example) and you translate them replacing the original with the translation or they have two parallel columns and you fill the translation side by side with the original.

I have never done any time coding, but as far as I know it is when the translator, while translating, also puts in the times codes referring to each subtitle (when it appears and disappears).

I hope this is helpful.
Collapse

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Juan and Ana Catarina are absolutely correct, Apr 1, 2009

..I would add that if you are required to ADD time coding on top of subtitle translation, your per minute rate should be higher - this will take quite some time.

Good luck!

Ginevra Massari
Ginevra Massari
Italy
Local time: 18:31
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 1, 2009

Many thanks to all of you for your help!

Ginevra

Canada
Local time: 12:31
Member (2009)
English to Korean
+ ...
Time coding rate Oct 12, 2021

What's the time coding rate?

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
... Oct 13, 2021

Profile wrote:

What's the time coding rate?

How much you charge for creating subtitles from scratch.

Also, what is our stance in regards to necroposting? It seems to be frowned upon, but it's not against the rules. Because I'll have to admit, I don't always check the OP's posting date.

[Edited at 2021-10-13 10:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation from tempate and time coding

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »