Páginas no assunto:   < [1 2]
Poll: What kind of computer do you use for work?
Autor da sequência: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:07
Inglês para Espanhol
+ ...
Too bad there is no Best Buy in Germany :) Jul 13, 2012

Buttons wrote:

... so what a good idea to get one without a fan (didn't even know about this option). I thought a desktop PC has more power than a laptop, and the guy in the store yesterday told me everything from I5 and higher is good to process a lot of data.

Do you mean the verb "means"? Shouldn't it be "meaning"? Sorry, just thinking aloud, not an english native.

Buttons, I would shop around, look online at some reputable sites, check online reviews of different equipments, read printed reviews in some local computer magazines, etc.

Although I would advise to buy as much computer power as you can within your budget, there are some things not worth having, depending on your workflow. If you are the text-only type of translator, you won't need tons of RAM (but 4-6 GB should be enough), but you will need that RAM for your CAT tool, be it Deja Vu, SDL, Trados, Transit, etc.

Wolfgang Vogt
Wolfgang Vogt  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:07
Inglês para Alemão
+ ...
Laptop Jul 13, 2012

I work on my super quiet Samsung laptop. The "super quiet" was an argument my wife brought up. My old Acer laptop sounded more like a sewing machine, so I checked that before buying a new one.
A desktop PC was not an option because everything is three times as expensive in Argentina and a laptop is simply easier to transport.
As far as calculating power is concerned, I'm doing fine with 6GB RAM, Quadcore AMD A6-3410MX, Dualcore Radeon graphics and 640GB HD.

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos da América
Local time: 04:07
Alemão para Inglês
+ ...
Mac mini Jul 13, 2012

I have a Mac mini as my desktop with 2 Lenovo 22.5" screens. I love it. Source and target document side by side on one screen and the other screen for research. No fan, no noise.

I also have a PC desktop for Across, but my next laptop (September) will be a Mac with duals so I can run Across on it and any other software that works better with a PC.

My 2005 Mac iBook is slowly giving up the ghost, but it will be put out to pasture with regrets, as it served me as my fir
... See more
I have a Mac mini as my desktop with 2 Lenovo 22.5" screens. I love it. Source and target document side by side on one screen and the other screen for research. No fan, no noise.

I also have a PC desktop for Across, but my next laptop (September) will be a Mac with duals so I can run Across on it and any other software that works better with a PC.

My 2005 Mac iBook is slowly giving up the ghost, but it will be put out to pasture with regrets, as it served me as my first laptop and main working computer for 5 years with no problems EVER except a battery replacement last year.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:07
Português para Inglês
+ ...
desktop Jul 13, 2012

Desktop PC running Debian GNU/Linux.

I have a laptop, but rarely use it for work, as I prefer the larger screen (24in) and full keyboard on my desktop.
Also, my desktop is a 2.ghz8x4core AMD APU with 16gb ram, while my laptop is more like a single core 1.4ghz with 1gb ram with a 15in screen.

If I must travel (rare), then the laptop comes in handy.
On a rare occasion, just to escape from my office, I may take the laptop into the heart of the city and site in
... See more
Desktop PC running Debian GNU/Linux.

I have a laptop, but rarely use it for work, as I prefer the larger screen (24in) and full keyboard on my desktop.
Also, my desktop is a 2.ghz8x4core AMD APU with 16gb ram, while my laptop is more like a single core 1.4ghz with 1gb ram with a 15in screen.

If I must travel (rare), then the laptop comes in handy.
On a rare occasion, just to escape from my office, I may take the laptop into the heart of the city and site in a coffee shop with all the Yale students, etc., and work for a while, but this is quite rare (although these days, with the heat, It's tempting, just to enjoy the air conditioning, since I don't have it at home).
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:07
Membro (2003)
Espanhol para Inglês
+ ...
Desktop PC - but Jul 13, 2012

I used to have an iMac which also ran Windows 98. It burned out on me, and I miss it. I'm considering getting another one or else replacing the motherboard.

I rarely travel, and when I do, I take my Toshiba netbook, which serves my purpose.

Joseph Wojowski
Joseph Wojowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:07
Francês para Inglês
+ ...
PC laptop, but it doesn't matter... Jul 13, 2012

I work on a PC laptop but because of the nature of the work I do, I never go anywhere with it. To aleviate the problem of not having enough screen space, I have it connected to a second monitor and when that's not enough (to have, say, the source document up, the document or program I'm translating into and a separate glossary, I use my iPad as a third monitor). Something to consider is that if you work out in public, it COULD potentially be a breech in security as someone can simply look at yo... See more
I work on a PC laptop but because of the nature of the work I do, I never go anywhere with it. To aleviate the problem of not having enough screen space, I have it connected to a second monitor and when that's not enough (to have, say, the source document up, the document or program I'm translating into and a separate glossary, I use my iPad as a third monitor). Something to consider is that if you work out in public, it COULD potentially be a breech in security as someone can simply look at your screen and gain access to confidential documents. Also, if you are traveling with your laptop, make sure to put the security all the way up so people can't gain access to it over a public network.

[Edited at 2012-07-14 05:07 GMT]
Collapse

Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Austrália
Local time: 11:07
Membro (2006)
Inglês para Italiano
+ ...
Very interesting.. Jul 14, 2012

..to read all the different set-ups.
Living between two countries (Australia and Italy), I always relied on my laptop for almost everything, crowding it at the max of its capacity and having to update quite often. Now, here in Australia I finally have a super cool PC desktop with a huge screen, which is what I missed the most in a laptop. It's so much nicer to work with, but I travel around a lot and still use my laptop everywhere else, including when I'm at home in Italy. And it's quite
... See more
..to read all the different set-ups.
Living between two countries (Australia and Italy), I always relied on my laptop for almost everything, crowding it at the max of its capacity and having to update quite often. Now, here in Australia I finally have a super cool PC desktop with a huge screen, which is what I missed the most in a laptop. It's so much nicer to work with, but I travel around a lot and still use my laptop everywhere else, including when I'm at home in Italy. And it's quite handy for my IT translations to have a PC in English and a laptop in Italian!
What I found hard about juggling between the two at the beginning was to keep updating/synchronizing all of my files. I now use a free program called SyncBack with an external hard drive as a common medium but I'd be very interested to know what everyone else does when working with two or more PCs/laptops.
I have been thinking for a while to switch to mac due to its much better safety but having to install windows on it to run translation software like SDL defeats the purpose I guess, doesn't it?
Cheers,
Mara
Collapse

Páginas no assunto:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What kind of computer do you use for work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »